    these two programs access to the internet. I've been saying no, but was
    wondering if they do anything important.

    Thanks.
    \Oldschool\ Scotty Flamingo, Oct 10, 2003

  2. \Oldschool\ Scotty Flamingo

    DaveW Guest

    Services and Control - usually necessary for proper network function.
    Be aware of what programs are using svchhost and decide if they
    should be blocked or not.

    Spooler Subsystem - spooler for print operations.
    Only necessary if using file and printer sharing.
    Can be blocked from the internet and allowed for home LAN if
    you print share on LAN and (hopefully) not internet.

    DaveW, Oct 10, 2003

  3. \Oldschool\ Scotty Flamingo

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:41:33 -0500, "Oldschool" Scotty Flamingo wrote:

    >I am using Zone Alarm firewall and it keeps asking me if I want to give
    >these two programs access to the internet. I've been saying no, but was
    >wondering if they do anything important.

    Searching through previous 24HSHD posts,
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    svchost what is it group:24hoursupport.helpdesk
    group:24hoursupport.helpdesk group:24hoursupport.helpdesk.
    Results 1 - 10 of about 282. Search took 0.15 seconds.

    Win XP services guide, can apply to other versions as well for
    descriptions / names.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    spool
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/print_spooler.htm
    svchost
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/server.htm

    More from www.google.com
    Searched English pages for what is svchost.exe.

    Searched English pages for what is spoolsv.exe.

    250320 - Description of Svchost.exe in Windows 2000
    Description of Svchost.exe in Windows 2000. ... SUMMARY. Svchost.exe is
    a generic host
    process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries
    (DLLs). ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q250/3/20.ASP - 9k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    314056 - A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP. This article ...
    SUMMARY. This
    article describes Svchost.exe and its functions. Svchost.exe ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056 - 14k - Cached - Similar
    pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    svchost - svchost.exe - Process Information
    WinTasks Process Library. svchost - svchost.exe - Process Information.
    Process File: svchost or svchost.exe Process Name: Service ...
    www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/ processlibrary/svchost/ - 54k
    - Cached - Similar pages

    Me
    why?, Oct 10, 2003
  4. \Oldschool\ Scotty Flamingo

    Mike Guest

    I'm connected to 'Net via verizon dsl. Several times per evening my sysgate
    firewall blocks svchost from ' the Net w/o ill effects. Why should my pc
    accept svchost connection from a 'Net connection?

    Mike

    Mike, Oct 11, 2003
  5. \Oldschool\ Scotty Flamingo

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:17:09 GMT, Mike wrote:

    >I'm connected to 'Net via verizon dsl. Several times per evening my sysgate
    >firewall blocks svchost from ' the Net w/o ill effects. Why should my pc

    Fine. your firewall is doing what it should.

    >accept svchost connection from a 'Net connection?

    It depends a lot on the destination address / port / direction of the
    connection.

    Take Win 2000 for example I had to open up local ports on the PC as the
    Disk Administrator was connecting to local port 135.

    'Net connection' is a bit vague. It could be internal to the PC, local
    LAN or outside.

    You would have to setup some packet capturing to see exactly what's
    going on.

    Maybe MS software assumes everything is nice , safe and on a local LAN?

    >Mike

    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:41:33 -0500, "Oldschool" Scotty Flamingo wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am using Zone Alarm firewall and it keeps asking me if I want to give
    >> >these two programs access to the internet. I've been saying no, but was
    >> >wondering if they do anything important.

    >> Searching through previous 24HSHD posts,
    >>

    >http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> svchost what is it group:24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> group:24hoursupport.helpdesk group:24hoursupport.helpdesk.
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 282. Search took 0.15 seconds.
    >>
    >> Win XP services guide, can apply to other versions as well for
    >> descriptions / names.
    >> http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    <snip>

    Me