What are some reasonably inexpensive & safe places for backup media?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. If you're like me, you regularly back up files you create or
    download that cannot be easily replaced, or maybe not replaced
    at all. So, most of us create CD-Rs or DVD-Rs by the dozen with
    system and data file backups.

    It helps if at least one copy of these backups is available
    locally in case you need it, but it can be disastrous if there's
    a house fire or a computer theft (where the thief grabs up every
    CD in sight along with the PC).

    So, what are some favorite /off-site/ places people like to
    store their backups? Bank safety deposit boxes, if you can get
    one large enough? Businesses specializing in document protection
    and storage? Other?

    I really don't know what my options are but I suspect many
    people have already addressed this issue and may be able to give
    me some guidance. I'm not even clear what search phrases I might
    try in Google.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 5, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    Stickems. Guest

    Backing up to your web site is free and reasonably secure.

    Stickems., Jul 5, 2005

  3. All Things Mopar

    MrGrumpy Guest

    www.ibackup.com

    MrGrumpy, Jul 5, 2005
  4. On this date, MrGrumpy extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    > www.ibackup.com

    Thanks. Pretty pricey, isn't it?

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 5, 2005
  5. All Things Mopar

    sethra Guest

    All Things Mopar wrote in news:Xns968A5F522AF77ReplyToken@216.196.97.136:

    > So, what are some favorite /off-site/ places people like to
    > store their backups? Bank safety deposit boxes, if you can get
    > one large enough? Businesses specializing in document protection
    > and storage? Other?

    You could rent a PO Box from the post office or a Private Mail Box from a
    non-postal mailbox provider for a lot less than a bank safety deposit box.
    A lot of them offer 24hr access also.

    Just a thought.

    --
    ~sethra

    sethra, Jul 6, 2005
  6. On this date, sethra extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    >> So, what are some favorite /off-site/ places people
    >> like to store their backups? Bank safety deposit boxes,
    >> if you can get one large enough? Businesses specializing
    >> in document protection and storage? Other?

    > You could rent a PO Box from the post office or a
    > Private Mail Box from a non-postal mailbox provider for
    > a lot less than a bank safety deposit box. A lot of them
    > offer 24hr access also.
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Thanks for your ideas.

    I've also thought of one of those so-called "fire-proof" safes
    for my basement. One of the problems I see for myself, and maybe
    others see for themselves as well, is simply the bulk of CD-Rs.
    I'm getting a new PC built which will have a DVD burner. That'll
    reduce the physical number of disks I need, albeit at the
    different kind of risk of so much more data going away in the
    event of a catastrophic read failure. I've been thinking about
    this overall problem for a while and have yet to come up with a
    "good" solution, hence my post for the ideas of others.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Jul 6, 2005
  7. All Things Mopar

    old jon Guest

    > On this date, sethra extended this wisdom for the
    > consideration of other readers...
    >
    >>> So, what are some favorite /off-site/ places people
    >>> like to store their backups? Bank safety deposit boxes,
    >>> if you can get one large enough? Businesses specializing
    >>> in document protection and storage? Other?

    >> You could rent a PO Box from the post office or a
    >> Private Mail Box from a non-postal mailbox provider for
    >> a lot less than a bank safety deposit box. A lot of them
    >> offer 24hr access also.
    >>
    >> Just a thought.

    > Thanks for your ideas.
    >
    > I've also thought of one of those so-called "fire-proof" safes
    > for my basement. One of the problems I see for myself, and maybe
    > others see for themselves as well, is simply the bulk of CD-Rs.
    > I'm getting a new PC built which will have a DVD burner. That'll
    > reduce the physical number of disks I need, albeit at the
    > different kind of risk of so much more data going away in the
    > event of a catastrophic read failure. I've been thinking about
    > this overall problem for a while and have yet to come up with a
    > "good" solution, hence my post for the ideas of others.
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry

    Get a spare drive Jerry, and backup to that. More durable, and safer than
    any sort of disc.
    And you could, if you wanted, carry it with you for safety. Where you went,
    it would go.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jul 6, 2005