What Are Immovable Files

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by BTMO, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. BTMO

    BTMO Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote

    >I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk defragmenter and
    >the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are these files? Can I get
    >that disk space back if I formate the drive?

    :)

    Kind of defeats the purpose of defragging...

    BTMO, Feb 22, 2005

  2. BTMO

    Benji Thorn Guest

    They are either files that are in use, such as windows system files or a
    file you have open at the time. Or the big one you see, that is the swap
    file.

    Benji Thorn, Feb 22, 2005

  3. BTMO

    Guest

    Immovable files are files that are currently open (including most of
    the DLLs in your Windows directory).

    You'll have to boot from floppy or CDROM if you want everything to be
    movable. If its a FAT (or VFAT) filesystem, one of the Live GNU/Linux
    CDs will do, but I'm not sure if there is any Linux based tool for
    defragging NTFS.

    , Feb 22, 2005
  4. BTMO

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on 22 Feb 2005 08:25:39 -0800,
    <> says...
    > Immovable files are files that are currently open (including most of
    > the DLLs in your Windows directory).
    >
    > You'll have to boot from floppy or CDROM if you want everything to be
    > movable. If its a FAT (or VFAT) filesystem, one of the Live GNU/Linux
    > CDs will do, but I'm not sure if there is any Linux based tool for
    > defragging NTFS.

    booting safemode should fix some of them
    or recovery console if your really pedantic
    its not that big a deal

    Adder, Feb 22, 2005
  5. BTMO

    DoggNZ Guest

    On 22 Feb 2005 08:25:39 -0800, wrote:

    >Immovable files are files that are currently open (including most of
    >the DLLs in your Windows directory).
    >
    >You'll have to boot from floppy or CDROM if you want everything to be
    >movable. If its a FAT (or VFAT) filesystem, one of the Live GNU/Linux
    >CDs will do, but I'm not sure if there is any Linux based tool for
    >defragging NTFS.

    Could also be the swap file. There are a few third party defraggers
    for Windows that can do all those files while the computer is
    starting. O & O Defrag is a good one but I'm sure there's some free
    ones around that are just as good.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 22, 2005
  6. BTMO

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:49:22 -0800, Peter wrote:

    > I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk defragmenter and
    > the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are these files? Can I get
    > that disk space back if I formate the drive?
    >

    > cheers

    In-use system files like the pagefile. Power-defrag will defrag them
    however it is not free. Sysinternals has a free tool that will defrag your
    page file on boot.

    Peter, Feb 23, 2005
  8. BTMO

    Peter Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > Could also be the swap file.

    If it's the swap file, just set this to zero size, reboot, defrag, then
    return swap file to previous size or setting.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 25, 2005
  9. In article <qjDSd.3421$>,
    "BTMO" <> wrote:

    >"Peter" <> wrote
    >
    >>I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk defragmenter and
    >>the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are these files? Can I get
    >>that disk space back if I formate the drive?

    >:)
    >
    >Kind of defeats the purpose of defragging...

    Wonder what would happen if an immovable file met an irresistible
    defragger...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Mar 11, 2005
  10. BTMO

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in

    > In article <qjDSd.3421$>,
    > "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Peter" <> wrote
    >>
    >>>I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk
    >>>defragmenter and the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are
    >>>these files? Can I get that disk space back if I formate the drive?

    >>:)
    >>
    >>Kind of defeats the purpose of defragging...

    > Wonder what would happen if an immovable file met an irresistible
    > defragger...

    Some applications use these files and their position on the physical disk
    for licence purposes. Defragging /moving them might break the app. One
    I recall was some kind of CAD app. I have no other details other than I
    had to re-register it with their support and it was a hassle.
    If they are flagged as immovable, it is generally for a reason. What is
    the exact file name?
    Put it into google and see what results have to say on the matter.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 11, 2005
  11. BTMO

    Moe Le Cules Guest

    On 12 Mar 2005 12:37:27 +1300, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in
    >
    >> In article <qjDSd.3421$>,
    >> "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Peter" <> wrote

    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Kind of defeats the purpose of defragging...

    >> Wonder what would happen if an immovable file met an irresistible
    >> defragger...

    > Some applications use these files and their position on the physical disk
    > for licence purposes. Defragging /moving them might break the app. One
    > I recall was some kind of CAD app. I have no other details other than I
    > had to re-register it with their support and it was a hassle.
    > If they are flagged as immovable, it is generally for a reason. What is
    > the exact file name?
    > Put it into google and see what results have to say on the matter.

    I haven't encountered an unmovable file since I stopped using a swap file.

    Moe Le Cules, Mar 12, 2005