    SPECIAL EDITION DVD's and please elaborate briefly on why (like it
    has a great audio commentary, or documentary, a great director's cut,
    a great audio - visual remastering, etc.).

    Sab, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Sab wrote:
    > What are currently your personal favorite (English or foreign language)
    > SPECIAL EDITION DVD's and please elaborate briefly on why (like it
    > has a great audio commentary, or documentary, a great director's cut,
    > a great audio - visual remastering, etc.).

    (Ohh, man, I've had dreams like this--
    The finals question, and I forgot to study for it!)

    Derek Janssen (<checks to see still wearing underwear>)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 23, 2005

  3. "Sab" <> wrote in message
    > What are currently your personal favorite (English or foreign language)
    > SPECIAL EDITION DVD's and please elaborate briefly on why (like it
    > has a great audio commentary, or documentary, a great director's cut,
    > a great audio - visual remastering, etc.).

    If we're talking entirely about which DVDs do I enjoy watching the most,
    that depends on the movie. (I haven't even watched most of my
    special-features yet.)

    As to favourite special-features, again, that's related to the movie. The
    ones I really enjoy are the ones which go into detail about favourite films
    which I could never seem to find much reading material on.
    Loved the special features (however few) on Hellraiser II because I hadn't
    heard much about that movie. Saving the special features on "Nosferatu -
    Phantom der Nacht" for a rainy day. etc. etc.

    Beyond that; I much prefer featurettes to full-length documentaries. (With
    featurettes, you can decide just how long you feel like watching for. Just a
    few minutes, hours, etc.)

    Additionally, I think the best special-features are the ones that are worth
    rewatching: some image galleries are well-worth a second look. I think
    isolated music tracks are excellent (why weren't these on Star Wars and Lord
    Of The Rings?) etc. etc.

    Also very fond of featurettes which discuss the actual themes and subject
    matter of the film (eg. featurette on time-travel, on the Star Trek IV DVD.)
    One does get a little weary of all these featurettes which just explain how
    a cast is usually chosen, how action-scenes are filmed, et cetera, et
    cetera. Featurettes should somehow improve the movie experience. (Again,
    really looking forward to watching the philosophy tracks and featurette in
    my Matrix collection.)

    The Man With No Name, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Sab

    Rob Guest

    Sab wrote on Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:07:16 GMT:

    > What are currently your personal favorite (English or foreign language)
    > SPECIAL EDITION DVD's and please elaborate briefly on why (like it
    > has a great audio commentary, or documentary, a great director's cut,
    > a great audio - visual remastering, etc.).

    There is no doubt that the recently released 2-disc Anniversary Edition of
    "Apollo 13" in R1 is mine with the following features:
    1) Commentary with Jim and Marilyn Lovell
    2) Director's commentary with Ron Howard
    3) All new digitally remastered picture

    ....and other features that I haven't had time to observe yet. Outstanding
    release!!

    My only question about this title regards the IMAX version of the film on
    disc 2. This version is touted on the cover as 1.66:1 aspect ratio
    (Standard for IMAX) in anamorphic widescreen, yet my Hi-Def TV will only
    display it as 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Is the cover mislabelled?

    --
    Rob

    £¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤£

    Rob, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Sab

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > There is no doubt that the recently released 2-disc Anniversary
    > Edition of
    > "Apollo 13" in R1 is mine with the following features:
    > 1) Commentary with Jim and Marilyn Lovell
    > 2) Director's commentary with Ron Howard
    > 3) All new digitally remastered picture
    >
    > ...and other features that I haven't had time to observe yet.
    > Outstanding
    > release!!
    >
    > My only question about this title regards the IMAX version of the film
    > on
    > disc 2. This version is touted on the cover as 1.66:1 aspect ratio
    > (Standard for IMAX) in anamorphic widescreen, yet my Hi-Def TV will
    > only
    > display it as 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Is the cover mislabelled?

    It's 1.66:1 pillarboxed into the center of a 16:9 frame. If your TV has
    overscan, it may be hiding the small black bars on the sides.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Sab

    Aphelion Guest

    > What are currently your personal favorite (English or foreign language)
    > SPECIAL EDITION DVD's

    The ones that don't have needless apostrophes in them.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Oct 23, 2005
  7. "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    >> There is no doubt that the recently released 2-disc Anniversary Edition
    >> of
    >> "Apollo 13" in R1 is mine with the following features:
    >> 1) Commentary with Jim and Marilyn Lovell
    >> 2) Director's commentary with Ron Howard
    >> 3) All new digitally remastered picture
    >>
    >> ...and other features that I haven't had time to observe yet. Outstanding
    >> release!!
    >>
    >> My only question about this title regards the IMAX version of the film on
    >> disc 2. This version is touted on the cover as 1.66:1 aspect ratio
    >> (Standard for IMAX) in anamorphic widescreen, yet my Hi-Def TV will only
    >> display it as 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Is the cover mislabelled?

    > It's 1.66:1 pillarboxed into the center of a 16:9 frame. If your TV has
    > overscan, it may be hiding the small black bars on the sides.

    Yes, I've noticed the same on The Lion King and Criterion's Richard III
    But, here's the wierd thing, I've tried zooming in and then moving to the
    side of the picture to see the (now enlarged) pillars, but they don't seem
    to be there.
    Watched Lion King on the computer, and it definitely is 1.66 with the
    pillars on the side, but I wonder why the TV won't show them, even zoomed.

    The Man With No Name, Oct 23, 2005
  8. Recent issued Jaws box set !!

    howie feltersnatch, Oct 23, 2005
  9. Sab

    Jordan Guest

    Brazil - Criterion edition. Most complete version of Brazil ever.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Oct 24, 2005
  10. Sab

    Matt Guest

    "Sab" <> wrote in message
    > What are currently your personal favorite (English or foreign language)
    > SPECIAL EDITION DVD's and please elaborate briefly on why (like it
    > has a great audio commentary, or documentary, a great director's cut,
    > a great audio - visual remastering, etc.).

    "Tombs Of The Blind Dead" boxset from Blue Underground.
    The fact that these movies are finally available is enough. Factor in the
    great remastering job, the fab extra documentary disc, plus the reprinted
    book, all wrapped up in a beautiful coffin box.
    That and the new "sphere" phantasm box set.
    Perfect for Halloween

    Matt

    Matt, Oct 24, 2005
  11. Sab

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <BZ77f.52126$>,
    "Matt" <> wrote:

    > "Tombs Of The Blind Dead" boxset from Blue Underground.
    > The fact that these movies are finally available is enough. Factor in the
    > great remastering job, the fab extra documentary disc, plus the reprinted
    > book, all wrapped up in a beautiful coffin box.
    > That and the new "sphere" phantasm box set.
    > Perfect for Halloween

    Are these films really all they're cracked up to be? I've been
    'considering' picking up the box set, but I don't know very much about
    these movies beyond the fact that they have zombies, are Spanish and
    rather old(all from the 1970s, correct?). I'm really into Itilian and
    Asian horror cinema, but I've never been into Spanish films much,
    especially older ones of this variety. What's the scoop on the Blind
    Dead films? I've read a lot of good things about them, but I'm still
    hesistant. What makes these films so special? Should I just go ahead and
    plonk down the $60 for the set? Any help would be appreciated, Matt.

    Black Locust, Oct 26, 2005