What are acceptable numbers for digital to slide xfer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Some Dude, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. Some Dude

    Some Dude Guest

    I am looking to move some digital files over to slide and I'm
    wondering whether or not uploading JPEG files for processing is a wise
    choice? I've shot the images as either uncompressed tiffs or NEF's.
    (~6.1mp)

    Also what approximate pixel resolution and aspect ratio should these
    images be reformatted as for output to slide? I'm hearing 1200x1800
    and a 2:3 aspect ratio.

    I don't want to get scammed when I do this online so if anyone knows
    of anyone solid and fast then please do pass on the info.

    Thanks!

    Cheers,
    -sd
    http://www.zoom.sh

    Some Dude, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Some Dude

    Alan Browne Guest

    Some Dude wrote:

    > I am looking to move some digital files over to slide and I'm
    > wondering whether or not uploading JPEG files for processing is a wise
    > choice? I've shot the images as either uncompressed tiffs or NEF's.
    > (~6.1mp)
    >
    > Also what approximate pixel resolution and aspect ratio should these
    > images be reformatted as for output to slide? I'm hearing 1200x1800
    > and a 2:3 aspect ratio.

    35mm frames are at 3:2 ratio. The 'standard' image frame is 36 x 24mm,
    the slide carriers crop that just slightly.

    ("convention" is x:y, hence 3:2 not 2:3 ...comes to the same thing, of
    course).

    > I don't want to get scammed when I do this online so if anyone knows
    > of anyone solid and fast then please do pass on the info.

    While I haven't seen any myself, a photoclub member who has had slides
    made from digital was very disappointed with the resolution of the
    projected slide (I don't know what the pixel dimensions were). I don't
    recall if he was satisfied with the color.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    --e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

    Alan Browne, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Some Dude

    Tom Monego Guest

    In article <>, says...

    >I am looking to move some digital files over to slide and I'm
    >wondering whether or not uploading JPEG files for processing is a wise
    >choice? I've shot the images as either uncompressed tiffs or NEF's.
    >(~6.1mp)
    >
    >Also what approximate pixel resolution and aspect ratio should these
    >images be reformatted as for output to slide? I'm hearing 1200x1800
    >and a 2:3 aspect ratio.
    >
    >I don't want to get scammed when I do this online so if anyone knows
    >of anyone solid and fast then please do pass on the info.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >-sd
    >http://www.zoom.sh

    There are several good slide makers I know I do good work,
    www.microlightphoto.com, also www.imagers.com and www.slides.com. It all
    depends on what film recorder the lab is using if they don't have Agfa,
    Lasergraphics or Management Graphics, don't bother.
    A 6.1 mp file set to a maximum jpeg (10-12 in Photoshop) directly from a tif
    (first generation) will give you a nice slide, don't resize, unless the company
    tells you to. Some filmrecorder software does a good job of resizing to
    4000x2700 pixels, some just gives the size you put in. I know the software I
    use does a very good job of resizing I've run tif files as small as 800K and
    gotten a useable image (at least the client was happy). The best images come
    from files over 12mb (not larger than 30mb). I do find the best images are
    directly from the camera (processed RAW) and the necessary color enhancement
    and light sharpening.
    Hope this helps.

    Tom Monego, Apr 28, 2004