    "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
    power supply....what could be the problem?
    ==============
    loohye, Sep 7, 2004

  2. loohye

    Will Dormann Guest

    loohye wrote:

    > i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
    > work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
    > that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
    > installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
    > "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
    > power supply....what could be the problem?

    Try re-seating your IDE cables at the drive and motherboard ends.
    Also, make sure that your IDE cables are of the 80-conductor variety (as
    opposed to 40). If you aren't sure how to check that, I'm not sure what
    to suggest.

    -WD
    Will Dormann, Sep 7, 2004

  3. loohye

    AG Guest

    "loohye" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
    > work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
    > that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
    > installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
    > "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
    > power supply....what could be the problem?
    > ==============
    > For this group's frequently asked questions, check out www.CertFAQ.com

    An 80 conductor cable is necessary for most modern hard drives of over 8
    gigs or are ATA 66, 100 or whatever the latest is. You can tell the
    difference between them by looking carefully at the cable that's plugged
    into a CDROM, which is usually a 40 wire cable. There are twice as many
    wires in the 80 wire cable so they look smaller and the cable is smoother.
    It should work anyway but it will slow data speeds to ATA-33.
    Article here:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/15,28.html

    AG
    AG, Sep 7, 2004
  4. "loohye" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
    > work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
    > that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
    > installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
    > "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
    > power supply....what could be the problem?
    > ==============
    > For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

    www.CertFAQ.com

    the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
    cables.
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 21, 2004
  5. loohye

    jjw Guest

    "Solomon Kozanski" <> wrote in message
    > the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
    > cables.
    > --
    > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    although most of your posts are dead on, they are seldom or never useful. :)
    lol

    jjw
    jjw, Sep 22, 2004
  6. loohye

    > "loohye" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and will
    >> work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
    >> that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor cable
    >> installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots to
    >> "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
    >> power supply....what could be the problem?
    >> ==============
    >> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

    > www.CertFAQ.com
    >
    > the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
    > cables.
    > --
    > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    newer drives need what are called 80 pin cables instead of 40 pins cables.
    I think the extra 40 pins are just grounds, but they are needed for newer
    drives, I believe for drives that are ATA66 or faster. ususally when u by a
    drive, it will come with an ide cable, and if it needs an 80 pin cable, it
    will usually come with an 80 pin cable.

    jjw
    jjw, Sep 22, 2004
  7. "jjw" <> wrote in message
    > "Solomon Kozanski" <> wrote in

    message

    > > "loohye" <-spam.invalid> wrote in

    message
    > >> i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and

    will
    > >> work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer

    but
    > >> that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor

    cable
    > >> installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots

    > >> "Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
    > >> power supply....what could be the problem?
    > >> ==============
    > >> For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

    > > www.CertFAQ.com
    > >
    > > the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
    > > cables.
    > > --
    > > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    > >

    > newer drives need what are called 80 pin cables instead of 40 pins

    cables.
    > I think the extra 40 pins are just grounds, but they are needed for

    newer
    > drives, I believe for drives that are ATA66 or faster. ususally

    when u by a
    > drive, it will come with an ide cable, and if it needs an 80 pin

    cable, it
    > will usually come with an 80 pin cable.
    >
    > jjw

    actually the extra cables are intended to eat up the excess electrical
    field and prevent inductive crosstalk (RF) which is common with high
    frequency wiring and has a tendency to induce fields in just about
    anything nearby with delocalized electrons (e.g., metal), which
    explains why they're grounded. if you're gonna eat up induction,
    nothing's better than 0V!

    they probably would have been better off just using four or eight high
    speed miniature coaxial wires, but since cost is a factor, i can say
    they didn't do too bad of a job.
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 22, 2004
  8. "madmax" <> wrote in message
    > Solomon Kozanski,hitting the bong one more time,exhaled:
    > > "loohye" <-spam.invalid> wrote in

    message

    > >>i just put in a new power supply, the kind thats universal and

    will
    > >>work for p4, etc. i didn't change anything else on my computer but
    > >>that now when it boots up it says "Primary IDE no 80 conductor

    cable
    > >>installed". i have never seen this message before, then it boots

    > >>"Verifying DMA..." and stops booting. it worked fine with my old
    > >>power supply....what could be the problem?
    > >>==============
    > >>For this group's frequently asked questions, check out

    > > www.CertFAQ.com
    > >
    > > the problem is you're too much of a cheapskate to buy the proper
    > > cables.
    > > --
    > > Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    > >

    > Perhaps he did not realize he needed different cables.
    > What is wrong with trying to save money?
    > From reading your posts I see you are the resident **** here.
    > (every group has one)

    the point i'm trying to make is that if you're trying to get the most
    bang for your buck, there's no excuse for buying an ATA-133 drive, a
    system with an ATA-133 interface, and then bottleneck it down to 33
    MBs because you're too cheap to spend 20 bucks; in fact, you're
    WASTING more than that by spending the extra money for the better
    technology you dont intend to use!
    --

    http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 22, 2004
  9. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message

    > Solomon Kozanski wrote:
    > >
    > > the point i'm trying to make is that if you're trying to get the

    most
    > > bang for your buck, there's no excuse for buying an ATA-133

    drive, a
    > > system with an ATA-133 interface, and then bottleneck it down to

    33
    > > MBs because you're too cheap to spend 20 bucks
    > >

    > TWENTY BUCKS ????? I buy 80-conductor cables for $3 to $6.

    that makes loohye look like even more of a cheapskate
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 23, 2004
  10. "madmax" <> wrote in message
    > But he said that he replaced the power not the drive."i just put in

    > new power supply" "i didn't change anything else on my computer"
    > Sounds like the cable for the drive is either loose or installed

    wrong.
    > I agree with what you say about "bottleneck".
    > He should check his connections again-making sure he has the correct
    > cables :) .I assume that everything worked before the install of new
    > power supply.
    > -max
    > --
    > To help you stay safe see:

    http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    > This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
    > Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail
    > (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    > use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

    its possible his new "universal power supply" doesnt properly ground
    the extra conductors, or grounds them in such a way they are
    universally linked to a common bus (i.e., no individual diode
    rectifier circuits to prevent induced currents from receding back into
    other conductors, thus actually *enhancing* crosstalk)
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 24, 2004