    co ntrols I should really be using and what settings I should use.

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Hyde, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Mark Hyde

    ralford Guest

    There is an art/skill to get the slide/screen/print to look similar -
    probably never look the same. Likely the major problem is calibrating the
    screen, and lcd screens are not knows or color fidelity.

    tiff/jpeg is irrelevant in this topic - unless the jpg compression is
    ridicules. One thing you didn't mention is the processing software you are
    using?

    rma

    "Mark Hyde" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > I hope I will get some assistance here.
    >
    > I have a new Epson 2200. I think I made a good descision, but I must not
    > understand all the variables with my computer, a Dell Inspiron 8100

    Laptop,
    > my scanner, HP S20, Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the printer.
    >
    > I am scanning slides and saving them as TIFs. My other choice that I am
    > aware of is jpeg.
    > I continue to get prints that don't 'look right'. My prints are too dark,
    > compared to the screen and compared to the slides on the light table, or I
    > get color casts that are red or too blue.
    >
    > I have tried different settings, but I think I need help understanding

    what

    ralford, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Mark Hyde

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Greetings,
    > I hope I will get some assistance here.
    >
    > I have a new Epson 2200. I think I made a good descision, but I must not
    > understand all the variables with my computer, a Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop,
    > my scanner, HP S20, Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the printer.
    >
    > I am scanning slides and saving them as TIFs. My other choice that I am
    > aware of is jpeg.
    > I continue to get prints that don't 'look right'. My prints are too dark,
    > compared to the screen and compared to the slides on the light table, or I
    > get color casts that are red or too blue.
    >
    > I have tried different settings, but I think I need help understanding what
    > co ntrols I should really be using and what settings I should use.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    You are going to have a very hard time making the necessary adjustments
    since you are using a laptop. LCD screens are not the best for photo
    editing as they don't have the dynamic range of a CRT and they don't
    display colors as accurately. If you have a CRT that you can hook up to
    it, your job will be much easier.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Mark Hyde

    Paul Worden Guest

    This is a common problem. I have the Epson.

    Try this:

    Open your image and create a Curves layer adjustment. (Layers Palette, click
    on half white/black circle, then choose a control.)

    If the print output is too dark, grab the top of the curve and drag it to
    the left. For the first test, just try an arbitary amount and note the
    number in the 'INPUT' box. Print the image. Keep adjusting the curve and
    re-printing until you're happy with the print. You can create different
    setting squares on your print if you create a selection area first using the
    Marquee tool.

    You can record an 'Action' to do this automatically once you know the best
    setting.
    I have the opposite problem - my prints are always lighter than the monitor
    and I need to darken them by between 25 and 40 units.

    You can also use the Brightness/Contrast control, but I've found the Curves
    quickest and using curves doesn't make the whites 'grey.'

    With regard to colour - do the same test using the Color Balance setting.
    You only need to make one print starting with a uniform grey and selecting
    squares, then adjusting them. You could also use
    Image/Adjustments/Variations and pick a variation with the opposite
    (complimentary) colour to the cast on your prints.

    You can also buy a 'Color Spyder' which measures the screen colour and
    assists in calibration - good but expensive.

    Paul Worden
    remove NOSPAM from email address to reply
    Paul Worden, Jul 13, 2003
  5. Mark Hyde

    Enough Guest

    In article <>,
    "Mark Hyde" <> wrote:

    > I have a new Epson 2200. I think I made a good descision, but I must not
    > understand all the variables with my computer, a Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop,
    > my scanner, HP S20, Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the printer.
    >
    > I am scanning slides and saving them as TIFs. My other choice that I am
    > aware of is jpeg.
    > I continue to get prints that don't 'look right'.

    Your problem is using a Windows POS to do color management. BUY a Mac.
    They just work!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Jul 13, 2003
  6. Mark Hyde

    HRosita Guest

    >Enough wrote:

    >Your problem is using a Windows POS to do color management. BUY a Mac.
    >They just work!

    We have heard your opinion that Macs are better. As a matter of fact we have
    heard it over, and over, and over.

    Now either help the poster, or don't post anything.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jul 13, 2003
  7. Mark Hyde

    Guest

    Archived from "Mark Hyde" <> on Sat, 12 Jul 2003
    19:40:49 -0600:

    >Greetings,
    >I hope I will get some assistance here.
    >
    >I have a new Epson 2200. I think I made a good descision, but I must not
    >understand all the variables with my computer, a Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop,
    >my scanner, HP S20, Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the printer.

    [snip]

    Aside from any calibration issues associated with your laptop's LCD, and
    new printer notwithstanding, I would suggest visiting Epson's site to
    ensure you have installed the latest verison of the driver for the 2200.

    mailto: clix.at.xeropixdotcom
    , Jul 13, 2003
  8. Mark Hyde

    Enough Guest

    In article <>,
    et (HRosita) wrote:

    > >Enough wrote:

    > >Your problem is using a Windows POS to do color management. BUY a Mac.
    > >They just work!

    > We have heard your opinion that Macs are better. As a matter of fact we have
    > heard it over, and over, and over.
    >
    > Now either help the poster, or don't post anything.
    > Rosita

    I provide the OP with a workable solution. Trash the windows POS and BUY
    a Mac. They just work!

    If you can't help, don't post anything! Oh wait! An AOLamer! That
    explains it!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Jul 13, 2003
  9. Enough wrote:
    > Your problem is using a Windows POS to do color management. BUY a Mac.
    > They just work!

    I am not having any problems on my PC. So your solution is not really
    the solution, is it?
    Andrew McDonald, Jul 13, 2003
  10. Mark Hyde

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <INeQa.45152$>,
    says...
    > Enough wrote:
    > > Your problem is using a Windows POS to do color management. BUY a Mac.
    > > They just work!

    > I am not having any problems on my PC. So your solution is not really
    > the solution, is it?

    Andrew,

    Just add Mr. Enough to your killfile now. He is one of the group ogres
    who does nothing here but post stupid, insulting messages and tell
    people how much better Macs are for everything. Apparently he is
    insecure with his decision to purchase an Apple and must attempt to
    justify it every chance he gets by telling others how much Windows
    sucks.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker, Jul 13, 2003
  11. Todd Walker wrote:
    > Just add Mr. Enough to your killfile now. He is one of the group ogres
    > who does nothing here but post stupid, insulting messages and tell
    > people how much better Macs are for everything. Apparently he is
    > insecure with his decision to purchase an Apple and must attempt to
    > justify it every chance he gets by telling others how much Windows
    > sucks.

    Thanks.
    Andrew McDonald, Jul 13, 2003
  12. "Mark Hyde" <> wrote in message

    > I have a new Epson 2200. I think I made a good descision, but I must not
    > understand all the variables with my computer, a Dell Inspiron 8100

    Laptop,
    > my scanner, HP S20, Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the printer.

    I haven't any experience of using an LCD panel for photo editing, so I can
    only hope that you can improve matters by using colour management.

    The first thing you should do is run Adobe Gamma from the control panel and
    calibrate the screen to a gamma of 2.2.

    Then you should get hold of a standard test image such as the PhotoDisc
    target from http://www.inkjetart.com/custom/ (note that the image is in
    AdobeRGB colour space).

    Print the test image to the printer using Print with Preview in Photoshop.
    Select the appropriate paper profile in the print space profile box. (You
    may have to click on Show more options and select Color Management). Also
    click the Document button, against which will be Document: Adobe RGB (1998).
    In the Epson printer driver properties, select the appropriate paper type
    and in the custom/advanced settings, select No color adjustment.

    It's possible that your paper profiles are not yet installed. I believe
    they get installed with the PIM software.

    I hope that very brief runthrough will be enough to get you started.

    John
    John Houghton, Jul 13, 2003
  13. Mark Hyde

    Enough Guest

    In article <>,
    Todd Walker <> wrote:

    > Apparently he is
    > insecure with his decision to purchase an Apple

    Sorry, Toddy! The only trying buying from Apple has made me is
    completely satisfied with digital photography and videography. It simple
    works each and every time. What I see is what I get! As the original
    poster has demonstrated on a Windows POS, what you see is anybody's
    guess!

    --
    Enough <>
    Enough, Jul 13, 2003
  14. Mark Hyde

    George Kerby Guest

    On 7/13/03 10:39 AM, in article
    , "Todd Walker"
    <> wrote:

    > In article <INeQa.45152$>,
    > says...
    >> Enough wrote:
    >>> Your problem is using a Windows POS to do color management. BUY a Mac.
    >>> They just work!

    >> I am not having any problems on my PC. So your solution is not really
    >> the solution, is it?

    > Andrew,
    >
    > Just add Mr. Enough to your killfile now. He is one of the group ogres
    > who does nothing here but post stupid, insulting messages and tell
    > people how much better Macs are for everything. Apparently he is
    > insecure with his decision to purchase an Apple and must attempt to
    > justify it every chance he gets by telling others how much Windows
    > sucks.

    He's real popular over at comp.sys.mac.misc as well!
    Don't feel left out - he insults and trolls in there, too.
    God knows how many other places he confronts people...

    George Kerby, Jul 13, 2003
  15. Mark Hyde

    Wayne J Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message > He's real
    popular over at comp.sys.mac.misc as well!
    > Don't feel left out - he insults and trolls in there, too.
    > God knows how many other places he confronts people...

    Everywhere but face to face I am sure. There he is no doubt too insecure to
    complain if a waiter pissed in his food.

    Wayne
    Wayne J, Jul 13, 2003