What about 70-305?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Moe, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. Moe

    Moe Guest

    OK, I've passed SQL Server, 70-300 and 70-306. Next up
    is 70-305. My strategy (which worked for 306 but not
    300) is to read through the MS Study Guide, trying
    exercises and practice apps using the concepts presented
    in the book. Where things are fuzzy - or the book
    doesn't seem thorough (happens a lot) - I read MSDN
    pages. When I feel that I can build good code using the
    ideas the book talks about I move on to the next chapter.

    Is this going to do it? In what areas is the MS Press
    book weak? One thing I liked about the 70-306 book is
    that the emphasis seemed about right. Things that the
    book dealt with heavily (like ADO.NET) seemed to be
    things that were covered thoroughly on the test. Things
    that were covered lightly (like web services) only had
    fairly basic questions on the test. The 70-300 book did
    not reflect the test in this way at all. What can I
    expect from the 70-305 book?

    I don't expect all the details to be there - but I want
    it to be a reflection of the exam.

    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

    Moe, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Moe

    Guest Guest

    Maybe you could share your thoughts and suggestions about
    70-300 with me? You say "The 70-300 book did
    not reflect the test in this way at all."

    You took the 70-300 exam first?
    And you are currently working in the industry?
    So, you probably did well on the case studies using your
    experience and not the book, right?

    I am trying to take 70-300 first. Without real-world
    experience and limited knowledge of the .NET framework.

    Recipe for disater, in you guise?

    Thank you for your thoughts, suggestions.

    Stacie

    Guest, Nov 22, 2003

  3. "Moe" <> wrote in message news:<016501c3b133$b15c23c0$>...
    > OK, I've passed SQL Server, 70-300 and 70-306. Next up
    > is 70-305. My strategy (which worked for 306 but not
    > 300) is to read through the MS Study Guide, trying
    > exercises and practice apps using the concepts presented
    > in the book. Where things are fuzzy - or the book
    > doesn't seem thorough (happens a lot) - I read MSDN
    > pages. When I feel that I can build good code using the
    > ideas the book talks about I move on to the next chapter.
    >
    > Is this going to do it? In what areas is the MS Press
    > book weak? One thing I liked about the 70-306 book is
    > that the emphasis seemed about right. Things that the
    > book dealt with heavily (like ADO.NET) seemed to be
    > things that were covered thoroughly on the test. Things
    > that were covered lightly (like web services) only had
    > fairly basic questions on the test. The 70-300 book did
    > not reflect the test in this way at all. What can I
    > expect from the 70-305 book?
    >
    > I don't expect all the details to be there - but I want
    > it to be a reflection of the exam.
    >
    > Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

    I think its a tough one, and people should give up taking these exams.

    Kashif Hafeez, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Moe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >In what areas is the MS Press
    >book weak?

    All of them.

    Kline Sphere, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Moe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I think its a tough one, and people should give up taking these exams.

    Why? For Gods sake the exams of this type are easy.

    Kline Sphere, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Moe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I am trying to take 70-300 first. Without real-world
    >experience and limited knowledge of the .NET framework.
    >
    >Recipe for disater, in you guise?

    Not for you, you have a proven aptitude for learning and
    understanding. As long as you have common sense and fair amount of
    initiative, you'll go a long way (with or without Consultant!).

    Kline Sphere, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Moe

    Guest Guest

    You blew my cover!
    Covert's outta the question........huh?
    Warm-fuzzies!!!

    Me

    Guest, Nov 23, 2003
  8. Moe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >You blew my cover!
    >Covert's outta the question........huh?
    >Warm-fuzzies!!!

    Whatever you're on, can I have some!

    Kline Sphere, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Moe

    Guest Guest

    lol.

    Guest, Nov 24, 2003
  10. Moe

    Moe Guest

    I took 70-300 first because there was a period of time
    that I did not have access to a PC - but had a lot of
    time to do reading. Since the 70-300 test is the most
    analytical in nature, I thought I could prepare for it by
    reading the MS Press book and some MSDN articles, etc.

    That didn't do it. But I will say that the Exam Cram
    book for this test - along with MSDN articles - would
    give you a good idea of what that test is all about. If
    you really want to do 70-300 first - read Exam Cram.
    Treat it like a review. For any topic that you don't
    really understand, read MSDN articles on that topic until
    you really get a handle on it.

    As far as your situation: Trying to deal with 70-300
    before the other tests may not be a "recipe for
    disaster", but it might not be the best approach.

    Which test to take first? The answer to that question
    lies in another question: "Where are your strengths?"

    What have you been doing? If your a web developer, you
    should probably hit the Web Applications test, then Web
    Services and go from there. If your orientation is
    client-server, start with the Windows app test.

    I did SQL Server first, cause that was what I had prior
    experience with.

    So, if your an "analyst", "designer", or "architect" -
    then maybe 70-300 is your best bet to start. But, for
    most people, I'm inclined to think that doing 70-300
    might be the best plan.

    Just one opinion, of course.

    Moe, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Moe

    stacieweber Guest

    > I thought I could prepare for it by
    > reading the MS Press book and some MSDN articles, etc.

    > > book for this test - along with MSDN articles - would
    > > give you a good idea of what that test is all about.
    > > --------------------------------------
    > > That seems to be everyones consensus.
    > > Buy the Exam Cram.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input

    staciewebe

    stacieweber, Nov 24, 2003
  12. wrote:

    > Maybe you could share your thoughts and suggestions about
    > 70-300 with me? You say "The 70-300 book did
    > not reflect the test in this way at all."
    >
    > You took the 70-300 exam first?
    > And you are currently working in the industry?
    > So, you probably did well on the case studies using your
    > experience and not the book, right?
    >
    > I am trying to take 70-300 first. Without real-world
    > experience and limited knowledge of the .NET framework.
    >
    > Recipe for disater, in you guise?
    >
    > Thank you for your thoughts, suggestions.

    The Microsoft Training Kit for 70-300 represents about 5% - 10% of the
    exam's content, no word of a lie. All you need is the ExamCram2 book
    and MSDN. I know, I passed 70-300 this way.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003
  13. Moe

    Guest Guest

    Thanks G-fault!
    I keep getting 70% on practice tests.....
    not quite the MS passing mark.

    I think I'll change strategy and start at the beginning.

    70-305.

    Congrats on passing that one!!
    ECMA and C#, hmm?

    Have to focus on C#, I guess.

    If you haven't finished the cert, good luck!

    Guest, Nov 24, 2003
  14. Moe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >The Microsoft Training Kit for 70-300 represents about 5% - 10% of the
    >exam's content, no word of a lie.

    You're too generous!

    Kline Sphere, Nov 24, 2003
  15. Kline Sphere wrote:

    >>The Microsoft Training Kit for 70-300 represents about 5% - 10% of the
    >>exam's content, no word of a lie.

    > You're too generous!

    Well, this *is* a Microsoft-owned NNTP server. I have to pay them
    *some* lip service.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003
  16. Moe

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Well, this *is* a Microsoft-owned NNTP server. I have to pay them
    >*some* lip service.

    Good point...

    Kline Sphere, Nov 24, 2003