What a relief! -Portable storage...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark M, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    I just picked up a "Flashtrax" by SmartDisk.
    It's a 30GB hard drive for uploading my microdrives, this is not your
    typical up-loader drive. It also happens to play mp3 files (I've already
    got about 40 full music CDs copied to it for easy connection to my car
    stereo), and has a 3.5 inch flip-up color screen (you can upload file and
    play music without opening the screen, BTW).

    It is well-built and much more physically substantial than other gadgets of
    this type I've seen/handled), has a high quality Toshiba hard-drive,
    upgradable firmware (already did this), replaceable/swapable battery, and
    has run flawlessly.

    Also--It's USB 2.0, meaning the fastest of uploads to my computer back home.
    It works perfectly as a portable hard drive for back-up or bulk transfers as
    well, just like any other external hard drive, but can do this from a
    battery, and has the speed to boot.

    No more lugging my notebook all over the world on long trips...
    Fits right in my Orion AW, or on my dashboard for tunes.
    Very useful...but not cheap $499 (though cheaper than 30 more 1GB
    microdrives).

    I don't mean to sound like a salesman, but this is the device I've been
    waiting for. Perhaps you too?
    -Mark
    Mark M, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Mark M

    Jimmy Guest

    "bowser" <> wrote in message news:vsVRa.3787$...
    > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
    > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again. It's
    > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.

    What do you use for storing images while on a 2-3 week vacation? Your choices are limited unless
    you carry a notebook w/ cd burner. Digital Tanks, X-Drives, FlashTrax, and other similar portable
    devices are good devices to temporarily store the images until they can be stored on other permanent
    media.
    Jimmy, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "bowser" <> wrote in message
    > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
    > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again.

    It's
    > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.

    It's not a perfect world...
    My microdrives are also "rotating magnetic devices" for that matter.
    Would you put them on a laptop?
    Would you upload them to a desktop?
    **What would you do?
    I suppose I could buy a second unit...but I likely won't.
    Mark M, Jul 18, 2003
  4. bowser wrote:
    > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
    > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again. It's
    > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.

    People make such a big deal about these things. Hasn't anyone every
    lost a roll of film? Hasn't anyone had something happened that ruined a
    whole bunch of film (bad developing, screwed up camera settings, theft?).

    Sure all my eggs are in one basket with a portable hard drive but aren't
    they all in one basket anyway if all your film is in one place waiting
    to be developed? If you have your negatives stored somewhere who's to
    say something won't happen to the whole collection (house fire, theft,
    flood, etc).

    One of the great things about digital is being able to make exact copies.

    Once I am back at the hotel I back the files on the portable drive up to
    my laptop. This way there are two copies of everything during the trip.
    If I really wanted I could get a CD burner for the laptop and make a
    third copy.

    Of course I have DVD backups at home of all the pictures on my hard
    drive, an on-site and off-site set.

    But when you are in the field, your pictures are at risk whether it's
    film, 12 compact flash cards or a portable hard drive. You can only do
    some much to avoid it.
    Andrew McDonald, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "bowser" <> wrote in message
    > > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
    > > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again.

    > It's
    > > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.

    > It's not a perfect world...
    > My microdrives are also "rotating magnetic devices" for that matter.
    > Would you put them on a laptop?
    > Would you upload them to a desktop?
    > **What would you do?
    > I suppose I could buy a second unit...but I likely won't.

    If I were shooting for a paid contract, that would be different...and I
    would use a second device.
    Mark M, Jul 18, 2003
  6. Mark M

    Marc Guest

    Andrew McDonald <> wrote in message news:<VqXRa.108102$>...
    > bowser wrote:
    > > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
    > > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again. It's
    > > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.

    > Once I am back at the hotel I back the files on the portable drive up to
    > my laptop. This way there are two copies of everything during the trip.
    > If I really wanted I could get a CD burner for the laptop and make a
    > third copy.

    Seems you haven't seen the new portable storage device with a build in
    CD-RW burner. Same like the other devices with card readers but
    instead of a hard disk it burns CDs.

    Unlimited storage space on every trip (if there are computer stores
    around :).

    bye
    .\\arc
    Marc, Jul 18, 2003
  7. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    > > bowser wrote:
    > > > Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up

    rotating
    > > > device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again.

    It's
    > > > still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.

    > > Once I am back at the hotel I back the files on the portable drive up to
    > > my laptop. This way there are two copies of everything during the trip.
    > > If I really wanted I could get a CD burner for the laptop and make a
    > > third copy.

    > Seems you haven't seen the new portable storage device with a build in
    > CD-RW burner. Same like the other devices with card readers but
    > instead of a hard disk it burns CDs.
    >
    > Unlimited storage space on every trip (if there are computer stores
    > around :).

    That seems like a good idea... But how can you check to see if the burn was
    perfect? Out of 72 hard drives in my care, I've never had a crash (but they
    obviously happen). Burned CDs, on the other hand, have been shaky...from
    partially corrupted to total loss. I guess there's no perfect solution.
    Mark M, Jul 18, 2003
  8. In article <CZ_Ra.9303$Bp2.377@fed1read07>, Mark M <> wrote:
    >That seems like a good idea... But how can you check to see if the burn was
    >perfect? Out of 72 hard drives in my care, I've never had a crash (but they
    >obviously happen). Burned CDs, on the other hand, have been shaky...from
    >partially corrupted to total loss. I guess there's no perfect solution.

    And that's with a reliable power source, right? I'd be very untrusting
    of a battery powered burner for the same reasons.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Mark M

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:13:25 +0000 (UTC),
    (Jason O'Rourke) wrote:

    >In article <CZ_Ra.9303$Bp2.377@fed1read07>, Mark M <> wrote:
    >>That seems like a good idea... But how can you check to see if the burn was
    >>perfect? Out of 72 hard drives in my care, I've never had a crash (but they
    >>obviously happen). Burned CDs, on the other hand, have been shaky...from
    >>partially corrupted to total loss. I guess there's no perfect solution.

    >And that's with a reliable power source, right? I'd be very untrusting
    >of a battery powered burner for the same reasons.

    To take the paranoia a stage further, I once had a batch of 10 CDs
    containing misc progs become unreadable over a period of months. They
    were all one brand - Samsung. I managed to salvage most of them, some
    of them taking several hours and different CD-Rom drives to extract
    the data. Since then I've always backed up my pictures on to 2
    different brands of disc as well as keeping them on a dedicated
    removable hard drive.

    MJ
    , Jul 19, 2003
  10. Mark M

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jimmy wrote:
    > "bowser" <> wrote in message news:vsVRa.3787$...
    >
    >>Never, not on a bet would I trust my images to a non-backed up rotating
    >>device that's magnetic. Unless I never wanted to see the images again. It's
    >>still a hard drive, and can still crash due to shock.
    >>

    > What do you use for storing images while on a 2-3 week vacation? Your choices are limited unless
    > you carry a notebook w/ cd burner. Digital Tanks, X-Drives, FlashTrax, and other similar portable
    > devices are good devices to temporarily store the images until they can be stored on other permanent
    > media.

    Radio Shack now offers a 20GB solution with built-in card reader. Price
    is under $200. This seems like a pretty good solution.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 19, 2003
  11. Mark M

    bowser Guest

    Long trips? Film. It's quite amazing, and as long as you take reasonable
    care of it, you'll get some pretty good images.

    bowser, Jul 19, 2003
  12. Mark M

    bowser Guest

    Rotating devices are horribly delicate. Yes, they are far better than they
    used to be. For long trips, I shoot film.

    bowser, Jul 19, 2003
  13. Mark M

    bowser Guest

    72 drives, no crashes? Man, you're lucky. I've seen three crashes this
    month.

    bowser, Jul 19, 2003
  14. Mark M

    bowser Guest

    That's a good solution; keeping multiple copies of the images, and one I'd e
    comfortable with. But I don't have a laptop, and don't want to carry one,
    either. It seems that gear creep infects digital photography, like any other
    things. There's the camera gear itself, batteries, temporary storage,
    battery chargers, computers and their associated stuff, burners, blank CDs,
    and then you'll need an internet connection. On the whole, I'd prefer to
    carry a few rolls of film. Digital is wonderful, but sometimes it isn't.

    "weth" <> wrote in message
    > I have had far more non-magnetic back up media fail me over the years (CF
    > and CD-R/RW included) and have never had a modern hard drive fail me.
    >
    > Having said that, when I am vacationing, I always bring a laptop, I keep

    as

    bowser, Jul 19, 2003
  15. Mark M

    John Navas Guest

    In <n3cSa.97618$Ph3.11727@sccrnsc04> on Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:53:23 GMT,
    "bowser" <> wrote:

    >Rotating devices are horribly delicate. ...

    That's not really true -- modern disk drives are remarkably robust,
    particularly those designed for use in mobile equipment (e.g., notebook
    computers).

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jul 19, 2003
  16. Mark M

    John Navas Guest

    In <i4cSa.97144$ye4.67915@sccrnsc01> on Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:54:22 GMT,
    "bowser" <> wrote:

    >72 drives, no crashes? Man, you're lucky. I've seen three crashes this
    >month.

    Then you're doing something wrong; e.g., power, heat, handling.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jul 19, 2003
  17. "Mark M" <> writes:

    > > Seems you haven't seen the new portable storage device with a build in
    > > CD-RW burner. Same like the other devices with card readers but
    > > instead of a hard disk it burns CDs.
    > >
    > > Unlimited storage space on every trip (if there are computer stores
    > > around :).

    > That seems like a good idea... But how can you check to see if the burn was
    > perfect? Out of 72 hard drives in my care, I've never had a crash (but they
    > obviously happen). Burned CDs, on the other hand, have been shaky...from
    > partially corrupted to total loss. I guess there's no perfect solution.

    The Nixvue Vizor has an output so you can look at your pictures on the TV set,
    though it is limited to being used in a place where you have access to
    electricity.

    I don't recall if the Steno or Vizor have a verify function.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 19, 2003
  18. Mark M

    Ina Sterk Guest

    "Michael Meissner" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "Mark M" <> writes:

    > I don't recall if the Steno or Vizor have a verify function.

    The Steno has a verify function.

    -= Ina =-
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gcwsterk
    Sony MVC-CD1000 / Sony DSC-F717
    Ina Sterk, Jul 20, 2003
  19. Mark M

    Ina Sterk Guest

    > > I don't recall if the Steno or Vizor have a verify function.
    > The Steno has a verify function.

    Sorry, this must be: The DISC Steno has a verify function.

    Ina Sterk, Jul 20, 2003
  20. Mark M

    Abrasha Guest

    Mark M wrote:

    > Frankly, I can think of things I'd MUCH rather spend my time doing while in
    > Europe than looking for and wasting away in cyber cafes!

    Didn't waste any time. Took all of 10 minutes each time for about 256 mb of
    pictures. Didn't have to look very far either. They were everywhere I walked
    in more than one place, all I had to do walk in, drop of the CF card, get an
    espresso across the street and pich up the card and CD 10 minutes later.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Jul 20, 2003