What a mess!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Sep 19, 2004.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Cleaning up my cousins PC. Firstly I will give him credit he at least had Xp
    service pack 1 installed.

    But after loading adaware and spybot latest versions and definition updates.

    I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found by
    Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in Pest
    Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you need all 3!

    After that cleanup I put service pack 2 on. No problems touch wood

    Then next I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing trogens
    and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for more than a
    minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of course it never
    updated when he went online.

    so after several online virus scans at various sites and removal of 30!
    worms,trogens etc I think I'm getting closer to having the machine "cleaned"

    When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got "$500
    in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to pay
    that off.

    Craig Sutton, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Craig Sutton wrote:

    > When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got "$500
    > in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to pay
    > that off.

    If it was as much work as it sounds, why didn't you just nuke everything and
    reinstall instead?

    Stuart Richards, Sep 19, 2004

  3. In article <cijaqv$o3s$>,
    says...
    > Cleaning up my cousins PC. Firstly I will give him credit he at least had Xp
    > service pack 1 installed.
    >
    > But after loading adaware and spybot latest versions and definition updates.
    >
    > I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found by
    > Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in Pest
    > Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you need all 3!
    >
    > After that cleanup I put service pack 2 on. No problems touch wood
    >
    > Then next I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing trogens
    > and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for more than a
    > minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of course it never
    > updated when he went online.
    >
    > so after several online virus scans at various sites and removal of 30!
    > worms,trogens etc I think I'm getting closer to having the machine "cleaned"
    >
    > When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got "$500
    > in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to pay
    > that off.

    Sounds like it might have been quicker just to reinstall with SP2
    slipstreamed in (or from a ghost image) ;-) That way you know it won't
    be a zombie PC.

    wogers nemesis, Sep 19, 2004
  4. Craig Sutton

    steve Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Then next  I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing trogens
    > and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for more than a
    > minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of course it never
    > updated when he went online.
    >
    > so after several online virus scans at various sites and removal of 30!
    > worms,trogens etc I think I'm getting closer to having the machine
    > "cleaned"
    >
    > When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got
    > "$500 in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to
    > pay that off.

    I found a good British web site that tells you what to turn off in WinXP
    before putting it onto the Internet.

    My daughter has been running on WinXP now for a couple of weeks - using
    Mozilla ONLY for browsing and e-mail - and her system is so far
    virus-free.....at least, I see no unusual network traffic from her system
    on my LAN...and it behaves utterly normally in every respect.

    But anything that remotely functions as a server has been disabled. Her
    Windows Update won't even work without re-enabling the BITS service.

    steve, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Cleaning up my cousins PC. Firstly I will give him credit he at least
    > had Xp service pack 1 installed.
    >
    > But after loading adaware and spybot latest versions and definition
    > updates.
    >
    > I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found
    > by Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in
    > Pest Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you
    > need all 3!

    Tell him it's cheaper and easier to go out and buy a porno flick than spend
    all his time at XXX websites ! (he'll never beyond the 1st 10 minutes of the
    movie anyway).

    haha.

    ..Waylon Smithers.., Sep 19, 2004
  6. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "..Waylon Smithers.." <.> wrote
    in message news:cijd99$pt7$...
    > Craig Sutton wrote:
    > > Cleaning up my cousins PC. Firstly I will give him credit he at least
    > > had Xp service pack 1 installed.
    > >
    > > But after loading adaware and spybot latest versions and definition
    > > updates.
    > >
    > > I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found
    > > by Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in
    > > Pest Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you
    > > need all 3!

    > Tell him it's cheaper and easier to go out and buy a porno flick than

    spend
    > all his time at XXX websites ! (he'll never beyond the 1st 10 minutes of

    the
    > movie anyway).

    Checked his pc for porn didn't find any. Just a typical user with no idea
    about security patches etc. You know the kind.. hey I've got a virus scanner
    but never set it to update.

    Craig Sutton, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Craig Sutton

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > Cleaning up my cousins PC. Firstly I will give him credit he at least had Xp
    > service pack 1 installed.
    >
    > But after loading adaware and spybot latest versions and definition updates.
    >
    > I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found by
    > Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in Pest
    > Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you need all 3!
    > snip <

    I have a similar experience, I just spent some of this afternoon fixing
    a neighbour's PC.

    Win2000, fixpacks etc all up to date, McAfee never updated, the PC had
    stopped connecting to the internet via ADSL. That was probably a *good*
    thing.

    Booted once normally - took about 10 minutes to get to a desktop. 500MB!
    of memory usage (and that is just at the desktop), took about 3 minutes
    to open any application.

    Booted to safe mode, ran virus scan, removed *40* viruses. Ran Adaware,
    picked off about 150 or so spyware items.

    Rebooted normally, networking was OK so updated Adaware definitions,
    found another 350 or so items. Downloaded new version of Adaware SE and
    new definitions, found another 500 or so spyware items. Downloaded
    updated definiton for McAfee, didn't find any other viruses.

    So, *40* viruses and *1000* spyware items - worst I've ever seen.

    Reason why I haven't bothered re-installing Windows? Apart from having
    to hassle around reinstalling software, configurations and data, it'll
    be just as bad in a few weeks or months I suspect. Looks OK for now, though.

    Shows just how important it is to have the most current definitions
    loaded. I'm continually seeing PCs with NAV doing realtime scanning, but
    because the NAV came with the PC when it was new - a couple of *years*
    ago, and only had a 6 month subscription (which ran out), the
    definitions have never been updated. I think bundling NAV like that
    probably does more harm than good.

    I wonder how many PCs get junked or upgraded because they are old and
    slow - when in fact they are just full of crap?

    -=rjh=-, Sep 19, 2004
  8. Craig Sutton

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in

    > Then next I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing
    > trogens and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for
    > more than a minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of
    > course it never updated when he went online.

    Why didn't you pull the drive and scan it from a known clean machine? If
    windows breaks, just do a slipstreamed SP2 Repair. Fixing a compromised
    machine from within itself is a bad idea in my opinion.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 19, 2004
  9. Craig Sutton

    Tim Guest

    And they say Windows isn't reliable. If it can still run after that much
    crap being biffed at it, it must be OK.
    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Craig Sutton

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:26:44 +1200, Stuart Richards <>
    wrote:

    >Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got "$500
    >> in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to pay
    >> that off.

    >If it was as much work as it sounds, why didn't you just nuke everything and
    >reinstall instead?

    Probably the ole "Techy syndrome". You first of all think the problem
    is smaller than it is, and you fix the first problem easily. The
    second problem is a bit tricky, but you knock it on the head after a
    bit. You send out for pizza. The third problem is interesting, because
    it sometimes goes away for a while then comes back. You identify a
    rogue registry entry and nail the bugger. The owner timidly suggests a
    rebuild. You consider for a second, then conclude that there's only a
    couple more things to fix. And you've already done all that work. You
    send out for more pizza. And coke. Two days later, you've nailed all
    but one problem. This proves easy. You sit back and discover that
    you've lost a week, the owner has bought shares in a pizza chain,
    you've been fired for not turning up to work and your wife and dog
    have left you. Neverless you happily drive home, confident of having
    done a good job. When you reach home the phone is ringing. It's the
    computer owner: "Um, good job, but there's one small problem...."

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 19, 2004
  11. Craig Sutton

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:
    > When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got "$500
    > in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to pay
    > that off.

    Better yet, give him a choice - pay $500 for the restored winslows
    system, or $300 for a clean install with a Linux OS, including import of
    his winslows data.

    I've been running my Debian workstation for 2.5 years now, with the
    following stats:
    * viruses - 0
    * trojans - 0
    * worms - 0
    * spyware - 0
    * adware - 1 (well-behaved, within free version of Opera)
    * browser exploits - 0
    * portscans - probably 200,000
    * incoming virus/worm/trojan emails - probably 100,000, with
    zero infection
    * remote hacks - 0

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 19, 2004
  12. Craig Sutton

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:00:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton" <>
    wrote:

    >Cleaning up my cousins PC. Firstly I will give him credit he at least had Xp
    >service pack 1 installed.
    >
    >But after loading adaware and spybot latest versions and definition updates.
    >
    >I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found by
    >Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in Pest
    >Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you need all 3!
    >
    >After that cleanup I put service pack 2 on. No problems touch wood
    >
    >Then next I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing trogens
    >and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for more than a
    >minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of course it never
    >updated when he went online.
    >
    >so after several online virus scans at various sites and removal of 30!
    >worms,trogens etc I think I'm getting closer to having the machine "cleaned"
    >
    >When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got "$500
    >in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to pay
    >that off.

    I can beat that I fixed a Laptop some weeks back had some 2000 Spyware, the
    Spyware Program Spy Sweeper/Spy Bot ? locked up as their was to many..

    Karen Parker, Sep 19, 2004
  13. Enkidu wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:26:44 +1200, Stuart Richards <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Craig Sutton wrote:
    > >>
    > >> When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got
    > >> "$500 in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks
    > >> to pay that off.

    > >If it was as much work as it sounds, why didn't you just nuke everything
    > >and reinstall instead?

    > Probably the ole "Techy syndrome". You first of all think the problem
    > is smaller than it is, and you fix the first problem easily. The
    > second problem is a bit tricky, but you knock it on the head after a
    > bit. You send out for pizza. The third problem is interesting, because
    > it sometimes goes away for a while then comes back. You identify a
    > rogue registry entry and nail the bugger. The owner timidly suggests a
    > rebuild. You consider for a second, then conclude that there's only a
    > couple more things to fix. And you've already done all that work. You
    > send out for more pizza. And coke. Two days later, you've nailed all
    > but one problem. This proves easy. You sit back and discover that
    > you've lost a week, the owner has bought shares in a pizza chain,
    > you've been fired for not turning up to work and your wife and dog
    > have left you. Neverless you happily drive home, confident of having
    > done a good job. When you reach home the phone is ringing. It's the
    > computer owner: "Um, good job, but there's one small problem...."

    Ha ha! Usually at some point I stop and think "what am I doing? This is
    insane!". Sometimes even that doesn't stop me.

    Stuart Richards, Sep 19, 2004

    So long it can pick up an IP address and browse... oh wait, most spyware
    curtails at least the latter somewhat.

    I just had to talk to somebody who said her system was going fine until
    last week, and then suddenly it kept on getting some rather nasty (can't
    recall now) errors. Paraphrased:

    'OK, so did you install anything?'

    'No.' [You can guess how this later became a 'Yes'.]

    [...]

    'OK, so you *did* install something last week.' [Turns out it was stylexp,
    which as far as I can tell from Google is a spyware or adware thing, and
    even worse is a shell extension, which I find is the usual cause of
    programs' problems.]

    'But [******] told me it would be safe...'

    As she trusted this said person implicitly with everything, I kinda gave
    up.

    Unfortunately the lure with most of my every day acquaintances with
    adware/spyware-laced apps/'pretty things' or Outhouse/OE extensions are
    the pretty graphics they insert. Grumble.

    Next time someone sends me a needless GIF, I think I'll write back telling
    them Incredimail is incredibly inflating for message sizes...

    </rant note="sorry...">

    Cheers,
    Jonathan.

    - --
    Jonathan Ah Kit - Lower Hutt - New Zealand
    - http://www.ah-kit.dropbear.id.au/
    - ICQ#9747234 - http://www.electric.gen.nz/
    Away message: Looking for adhesive tape, not Alibrandi.
    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Tim wrote:

    > And they say Windows isn't reliable. If it can still run after that much
    > crap being biffed at it, it must be OK.
    > - Tim

    [snippings...]

    Jonathan Ah Kit, Sep 19, 2004
  15. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:00:49 +1200, "Craig Sutton"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Cleaning up my cousins PC. Firstly I will give him credit he at least had

    Xp
    > >service pack 1 installed.
    > >
    > >But after loading adaware and spybot latest versions and definition

    updates.

    > >I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found by
    > >Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in Pest
    > >Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you need all

    3!

    > >After that cleanup I put service pack 2 on. No problems touch wood
    > >
    > >Then next I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing trogens
    > >and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for more than a
    > >minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of course it

    never
    > >updated when he went online.
    > >
    > >so after several online virus scans at various sites and removal of 30!
    > >worms,trogens etc I think I'm getting closer to having the machine

    "cleaned"

    > >When the bugger comes around to pick it up I'm gonna tell him its got

    "$500
    > >in damaged components" :)) he will be flipping burgers for weeks to pay
    > >that off.
    > >

    > I can beat that I fixed a Laptop some weeks back had some 2000 Spyware,

    the
    > Spyware Program Spy Sweeper/Spy Bot ? locked up as their was to many..

    I was surprised how many Pest Patrol picked up after adaware and spybot said
    it was clean

    Craig Sutton, Sep 19, 2004
  16. Craig Sutton

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:00:49 +1200, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > I found over 600 spyware via adaware... some 50 or so more were found by
    > Spybot1.3 then on top of that when both fully cleaned. I loaded in Pest
    > Patrol which came up with another 56! It just goes to show you need all 3!

    All too common. Did one the other day - 277; and another 30 odd that
    re-installed themselves at the next boot, so had to disable all the start
    up stuff. And about 30 Trojan's.

    Had one with around 700 spyware/trojan fragments. Had another that had a
    heap, and the poor woman had been conned into paying for some con-job
    spyware remover app, that didn't even work as well as spybot.

    Another one had a largish bill from telecom due to dialers. I advised a
    toll bar.

    People want to be protected from this shit, but do not want to learn how to
    use their computers properly (e.g. security settings in IE).

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Practice does not make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect." -- Vince Lombardi

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/09/2004 11:25:59 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 19, 2004
  17. -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Reason why I haven't bothered re-installing Windows? Apart from having
    > to hassle around reinstalling software, configurations and data, it'll
    > be just as bad in a few weeks or months I suspect. Looks OK for now, though.

    It depends on how the Spyware gets in. I'd set all of the ActiveX options in
    Internet Explorer to disable other than "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins"
    and "Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting" which I would set to
    enable. Also set "Installation of desktop items" to disable and "Software
    channel permissions" to High safety. After doing all this I'd probably lock
    down IE to prevent its settings being changed.

    This should stop *all* Spyware from getting in through IE without the user
    actually manually downloading and installing Spyware ridden software. Which I
    suppose they do. Idiots. Still, it might slow them down.

    Stuart Richards, Sep 19, 2004
  18. Dave Taylor wrote:

    > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Then next I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing
    > > trogens and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for
    > > more than a minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of
    > > course it never updated when he went online.

    > Why didn't you pull the drive and scan it from a known clean machine? If
    > windows breaks, just do a slipstreamed SP2 Repair. Fixing a compromised
    > machine from within itself is a bad idea in my opinion.

    A boot CD with repair tools on it would be my choice, and perhaps a boot-to-CD
    floppy for systems that won't directly boot CDs. A version of Knoppix
    modified to contain suitable Windows tools might be a good option. WINE
    should run everything you'd want no problems, right?

    Stuart Richards, Sep 19, 2004
  19. In article <> in nz.comp on Mon, 20 Sep 2004
    01:15:33 +1200, Stuart Richards <> says...
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    > >
    > > "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Then next I spent 2 hours using Hijack this and msconfig killing
    > > > trogens and worms from starting. So I could actually get online for
    > > > more than a minute or 2. The dummy had not registerd his Mcafees so of
    > > > course it never updated when he went online.

    > > Why didn't you pull the drive and scan it from a known clean machine? If
    > > windows breaks, just do a slipstreamed SP2 Repair. Fixing a compromised
    > > machine from within itself is a bad idea in my opinion.

    > A boot CD with repair tools on it would be my choice, and perhaps a boot-to-CD
    > floppy for systems that won't directly boot CDs. A version of Knoppix
    > modified to contain suitable Windows tools might be a good option. WINE
    > should run everything you'd want no problems, right?

    BartsPE CD is a good one to have. You can download the McAfees SuperDAT
    for virus scanning and set it up on the CD. It can read and write NTFS
    natively which is a great advantage over anything else out there.

    Then run XP install, choose Repair installation. Just did this last week,
    a staff member's laptop got hit by Rbot worm.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 19, 2004
  20. Evil Bastard wrote:

    > I've been running my Debian workstation for 2.5 years now, with the
    > following stats:
    > * viruses - 0
    > * trojans - 0
    > * worms - 0
    > * spyware - 0
    > * adware - 1 (well-behaved, within free version of Opera)
    > * browser exploits - 0
    > * portscans - probably 200,000
    > * incoming virus/worm/trojan emails - probably 100,000, with
    > zero infection
    > * remote hacks - 0

    Hey, i've been running Windows 98SE and 2000 longer than you've been running
    Debian, with the following stats:

    * Viruses - 0
    * Trojans - 0
    * Worms - 0
    * Spyware - 0
    * Adware - 1 (came with a trial version of GetRight, not apparently malicious)
    * Browser exploits - several, but they were all proof of concepts that I
    chose to run, nothing malicious
    * Portscans - don't care, it's irrelevant if you don't have any open ports,
    which I don't.
    * Incoming Virus/Worm/Trojan emails - don't care, I never open executable
    attachments and my mail program
    (Netscape Communicator 4.8) isn't
    braindead, so zero infection.
    * Remote Hacks - 0 (that I know of, since nothing ever got infected according
    to F-Prot)

    Gee, maybe Windows isn't so bad after all... At least as long as you keep on
    top of the patches. There have been very few exploits "in the wild" before
    Microsoft have released a patch for whatever they exploit. That recent
    Internet Explorer exploit was one though, but thankfully it wasn't widespread.

    Stuart Richards, Sep 19, 2004