What a difference calibration makes!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PTRAVEL, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    In the course of replacing my chemical darkroom, I bought a Sony 17" LCD
    monitor and a Canon i9100 wide-carriage printer to go with my Canon 10D.
    The first prints I got from this setup were okay, but not dazzling and, most
    importantly, didn't look at all like what I saw on the monitor.

    I invested in a Spyder and the software to go with it, and calibrated my
    monitor and printer (using my old, and not terribly accurate, HP 6100c
    scanner). The results were dramatic! I can make accurate adjustments to
    the Canon's RAW files (usually exposure and color temperature), touch up the
    shot's gamma in Photoshop Elements and then get an excellent quality print
    the first time that not only looks better than what I was printing before,
    but actually matches what I see on my monitor when I make the adjustments.
    I was using mostly 4x6 paper, but just for fun I ran off a 13 x 19 to see
    how it turned out and, frankly, it was spectacular -- actually better than
    what I could produce in my chemical darkroom, and done in a tiny fraction of
    the time.

    I recommend the Spyder -- it's a relatively minor investment, compared to
    the cost of a good monitor, computer, digital camera and printer, but
    calibration makes a HUGE difference in the final print.

    PTRAVEL, Sep 9, 2003

  2. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    > PTRAVEL wrote:
    >
    > > I recommend the Spyder --

    > I read your post, and am interested. I have a couple
    > of questions: which Spyder did you get,

    It's on the Colorvision website. It came with PhotoCal (though it's also
    sold with Optical). This Spyder has baffles and attachments for both LCD
    and CRT monitors.

    > and how
    > difficult is it to figure out how to calibrate from RAW
    > to screen to printer?

    For me, it was very easy. I brought the RAW file into Photoshop Elements
    using the RAW plug-in. I used the plug-in to make basic adjustments by
    eye -- the most common adjustments were exposure, color temperature and
    shadow (gamma). Once in Elements, I'd tweak the shot some more.
    Interestingly enough, I'd try the auto adjust features in Elements, but they
    rarely varied the appearance of the shot beyond what I had already done in
    the plug-in. Once I liked the way it looked, I just sent it to the printer.

    > I see that even with the rebates,
    > the Spyder prices vary from $200 to almost $500.

    IIRC, I paid under $300. I don't remember exactly how I got there, but if
    you go to dpreview.com, you'll find a link that gets you to the Colorvision
    site and which provides substantial discounts (now that I think some more, I
    believe I paid $225 for the Spyder with Photocal).

    > Can you achieve screen and printing improvements
    > with the lower-priced model?

    As best as I can tell, a Spyder is a Spyder is a Spyder, to paraphrase
    Gertrude Stein. There are apparently older versions that don't have the
    additional baffles and attachments to work with LCD monitors. Other than
    that, the main difference is the software. Optical costs more than
    Photocal, offers more control, but, at least in my case, few additional
    benefits, so I went with the less expensive software.

    PTRAVEL, Sep 10, 2003

  3. PTRAVEL

    Boomer Guest

    Thanks to Bill Hilton and PTRAVEL.
    Your descriptions are appreciated.
    I'm most likely going to go ahead and make this
    purchase, since monitor calibration has bugged me
    for years, and this looks like a better solution than
    what I've been using, which is the visual Adobe
    calibration which relies on visual comparisons.
    Since I'm mildly colorblind, this doesn't work
    well for me, as one might imagine!

    Boomer, Sep 10, 2003
  4. PTRAVEL

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: What a difference calibration makes!
    >From: "PTRAVEL"
    >Date: 9/9/03 4:13 PM Pacific

    >As best as I can tell, a Spyder is a Spyder is a Spyder, to paraphrase
    >Gertrude Stein.

    I think she used Monaco.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Sep 10, 2003
  5. PTRAVEL

    Bob B Guest

    Just to chime in here: after this thread caught my attention and I
    did a bit more web-browsing, I decided this was worth the $225
    mentioned. But I couldn't find a link to colorvision at dpreview. A
    visit to the Colorvision website reveals that they currently have a
    rebate offer going on that birngs the cost of the Spyder (with
    photocal) down to a net of $179 (plus $10 s/h). And that includes a
    copy of Photoshop Album. Pleasant surprise!

    Bob B, Sep 10, 2003
  6. PTRAVEL

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Bob B

    >after this thread caught my attention and I
    >did a bit more web-browsing, I decided this was worth the $225
    >mentioned. But I couldn't find a link to colorvision at dpreview. A
    >visit to the Colorvision website reveals that they currently have a
    >rebate offer going on that birngs the cost of the Spyder (with
    >photocal) down to a net of $179 (plus $10 s/h). And that includes a
    >copy of Photoshop Album. Pleasant surprise!

    I think it's $149 at Inkjet Mall for a couple more weeks (same package,
    including Album) ... http://www.inkjetmall.com/

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 10, 2003
  7. PTRAVEL

    Boomer Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > Bob B wrote:

    >> A visit to the Colorvision website reveals that they
    >> currently have a rebate offer going on that birngs the
    >> cost of the Spyder (with photocal) down to a net of
    >> $179 (plus $10 s/h). And that includes a copy of
    >> Photoshop Album. Pleasant surprise!

    > I think it's $149 at Inkjet Mall for a couple more weeks
    > (same package, including Album) ...
    > http://www.inkjetmall.com/

    Thanks!

    Boomer, Sep 11, 2003
  8. PTRAVEL

    ARosenblat Guest

    >Arthur Kramer

    wrote:>Visit my WW II B-26 website
    The pictures are great, especially the Marauders

    ARosenblat, Sep 11, 2003
  9. PTRAVEL

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: What a difference calibration makes!
    >From: (ARosenblat)
    >Date: 9/10/03 7:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >>Arthur Kramer

    >wrote:>Visit my WW II B-26 website
    > The pictures are great, especially the Marauders

    Thank you.

    ArtKramr, Sep 11, 2003