    better than Slingshot and much better of course than when KOL first started.

    Hope Xnet broadband is still going well for people on it.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2008

  2. E. Scrooge

    Murray Symon Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > Couldn't use these basic text groups properly would be stuck on connecting
    > for ages. Even the very reliable Microsoft group was hopeless thanks
    > Slingshot.
    >
    > On starting with IE Slingshot most times can't find the homepage.
    > Checking for emails when first opening IE is just as bad.
    >
    > For the last few days KOL that I borrowed from a friend is working much
    > better than Slingshot and much better of course than when KOL first
    > started.
    >
    > Hope Xnet broadband is still going well for people on it.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Slingshot's been OK here (Taranaki). Nothing much worse than usual.
    Is it the webmail you are referring to? (haven't used that lately).

    Murray

    Murray Symon, Nov 15, 2008

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    > *sling wrote:
    >
    >> Couldn't use these basic text groups properly would be stuck on
    >> connecting
    >> for ages. Even the very reliable Microsoft group was hopeless thanks
    >> Slingshot.
    >>
    >> On starting with IE Slingshot most times can't find the homepage.
    >> Checking for emails when first opening IE is just as bad.
    >>
    >> For the last few days KOL that I borrowed from a friend is working much
    >> better than Slingshot and much better of course than when KOL first
    >> started.
    >>
    >> Hope Xnet broadband is still going well for people on it.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Slingshot's been OK here (Taranaki). Nothing much worse than usual.
    > Is it the webmail you are referring to? (haven't used that lately).
    >
    > Murray

    It's real slow on opening the home page website, often it doesn't. The
    homepage is Aardvark mainly because it's quick to fully open usually.
    Using OE6 it's slow to connect to check for emails, and the free news
    servers hardly work at all due to the slow connection.
    Still on dial up here in Dunedin. No problems when using KOL. I do plan to
    join Xnet eventually but will probably join KOL first.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2008
  4. On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:54:20 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >Couldn't use these basic text groups properly would be stuck on connecting
    >for ages. Even the very reliable Microsoft group was hopeless thanks
    >Slingshot.
    >
    >On starting with IE Slingshot most times can't find the homepage. Checking
    >for emails when first opening IE is just as bad.
    >
    >For the last few days KOL that I borrowed from a friend is working much
    >better than Slingshot and much better of course than when KOL first started.
    >
    >Hope Xnet broadband is still going well for people on it.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    They seem to have given NNTP a special new lower than lowest priority
    in their traffic shaping. Getting headers, I get average speeds of
    3000-4000 bytes/s, well below dial-up speed, so it takes hours on
    binary groups. Let alone how long it takes to actually download a
    binary! This started about three days ago - before that it was slow,
    but not unusable. I checked the traffic using Wireshark, and could
    see *lots* of retransmissions going on too - so even though I may be
    getting 3000-4000 bytes/s throughput, at least a third of that pitiful
    speed is getting lost to the retransmissions.

    And I was also having slow speeds for outbound NNTP, around 7000
    kbytes/s, as though I had my connection downrated to 64 kbit/s because
    I was over my cap. Which I was not. I left a test post running over
    the 01:00-07:00 free off peak period last night, and my router's
    netflow monitoring graph the next day showed that the outbound speed
    had increased to normal (ie as fast as the ADSL connection allows) for
    two periods in that time. I correlated those periods to times when my
    ADSL had reconnected, which it does several times a day. So it looks
    like every time I get an ADSL reconnection, I get pot luck as to
    whether the NNTP upload speed will be dial-up or broadband. Of
    course, I am paying for the latter.

    I have complained to Slingshot, and they are investigating. At least
    I have managed to get past the front line 0800 bozos and have the
    email address of someone who is actually technically knowledgeable, so
    I can send him data on all this. But I am not allowed to talk to
    their "network department" who are the ones who actually control
    things. And when I asked just what priority NNTP had in relation to
    say Bittorrent (which works much better than NNTP, but still not full
    ADSL speed), the person I was talking to put me on hold while he asked
    about that, and then came back and told me that he was not allowed to
    tell me the answer to my question.

    Of course, they are also supposed to be adding more international
    bandwidth on Monday. I certainly hope so, because the abominable
    traffic shaping they are doing at present makes doing anything except
    using web pages that are less than 10 Mibytes into a nightmare. But
    if the new bandwidth is real and stops most of the traffic shaping,
    then they will probably assume that it will have fixed everything and
    the next time bandwidth gets full all the same imbecilic rules they
    have in their shaping will be doing the same silly things again.

    On Ihug, where I was last month, when they run out of bandwidth,
    everything seems to just slow down proportionally. Browsing web pages
    takes longer than Slingshot, but everything else still works pretty
    well. For large parts of the day on Ihug, I could download at full
    ADSL speed, and it was not too badly slowed even at peak times.
    Slingshot's way of doing things is either insane, or they are so short
    of bandwidth that they have no choice but to make some things so bad
    that they have to be bleeding customers by now.

    What I am getting from Slingshot at present is so far from the Full
    Speed/Full Speed connection they advertised that I hope the Commerce
    Commission is investigating them for false advertising. They need to
    be shown a dose of reality - how can they possibly think what they are
    doing is OK?

    Stephen Worthington, Nov 15, 2008