  1. Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
    info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 12, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    Re: What?s The Oldest Web Page Around?

    On 2011-02-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    ><https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
    > info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

    In answer to your header question, the first one created ;-
    Gordon, Feb 13, 2011

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    Re: What’s The Oldest Web Page Around?

    On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    > <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
    > info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

    I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
    browser in about 1980,
    Matty F, Feb 13, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:06:54 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    >> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its
    >> page info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

    > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
    > browser in about 1980,

    Did you publish that software?

    Did you publish documentation to enable people to create their own
    browsers?

    Were those pages publicly available?

    Boots, Feb 13, 2011
  5. Re: What?s The Oldest Web Page Around?

    On , , 13 Feb 2011 04:32:53 GMT, Re: What?s The Oldest Web Page Around?, Gordon
    <> wrote:

    >On 2011-02-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    >><https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
    >> info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

    >In answer to your header question, the first one created ;-

    Why are you channelling David Murray? <G>

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.
    Mgsr. Scooter, Feb 13, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Murray Symon Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    >> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its
    >> page info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

    > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
    > browser in about 1980,

    Topper?
    Murray Symon, Feb 13, 2011
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Feb 13, 10:00 pm, Boots <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:06:54 -0800, Matty F wrote:
    > > On Feb 13, 2:32 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > >> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    > >> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its
    > >> page info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

    > > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
    > > browser in about 1980,

    > Did you publish that software?
    >
    > Did you publish documentation to enable people to create their own
    > browsers?
    >
    > Were those pages publicly available?

    I wrote a manual describing how to use two of the page creation
    systems that I designed.One was used for a large nationwide network
    for their data entry. Unskilled users could design screen layouts with
    input fields and edit checks and automatic error messages.
    The system was used by a large computer bureau so was not available to
    the public. The internet was not available to the public in 1980 in
    NZ.
    Matty F, Feb 13, 2011
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:44:41 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > On Feb 13, 10:00 pm, Boots <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 00:06:54 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    >> > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
    >> > browser in about 1980,

    >> Did you publish that software?
    >>
    >> Did you publish documentation to enable people to create their own
    >> browsers?
    >>
    >> Were those pages publicly available?

    > I wrote a manual describing how to use two of the page creation systems
    > that I designed.One was used for a large nationwide network for their
    > data entry. Unskilled users could design screen layouts with input
    > fields and edit checks and automatic error messages. The system was used
    > by a large computer bureau so was not available to the public. The
    > internet was not available to the public in 1980 in NZ.

    Cool. Interesting.

    The Internet didn't exist until about 1989. However the precursor to the
    internet - bulletin boards - was around. And FTP had been around since
    the '70s.

    Boots, Feb 13, 2011
  9. In message
    <>, Matty F
    wrote:

    > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
    > browser in about 1980,

    So you were only behind Doug Engelbart by about 15 years.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 13, 2011
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 13/02/11 17:32, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-02-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<_zealand> wrote:
    >> Came across this page which seemed a bit, um, ancient
    >> <https://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/zen/zen-1.0_7.html>. Checked its page
    >> info, and it shows a last-modified date from August 1993.

    > In answer to your header question, the first one created ;-

    Copies of the first web page abound. It goes

    And the second was

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Feb 13, 2011
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    Re: What’s The Oldest Web Page Around?

    On Feb 14, 1:58 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Matty F
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I designed an HTML type language and created pages using it and a
    > > browser in about 1980,

    > So you were only behind Doug Engelbart by about 15 years.

    He was a clever man. I couldn't see how the Net could keep expanding
    without speeds slowing down so much that it would be unusable.
    Matty F, Feb 13, 2011
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Feb 14, 1:52 am, Boots <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 01:44:41 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > >> Did you publish that software?

    > >> Did you publish documentation to enable people to create their own
    > >> browsers?

    > >> Were those pages publicly available?

    > > I wrote a manual describing how to use two of the page creation systems
    > > that I designed.One was used for a large nationwide network for their
    > > data entry. Unskilled users could design screen layouts with input
    > > fields and edit checks and automatic error messages. The system was used
    > > by a large computer bureau so was not available to the public. The
    > > internet was not available to the public in 1980 in NZ.

    > Cool. Interesting.
    >
    > The Internet didn't exist until about 1989. However the precursor to the
    > internet - bulletin boards - was around. And FTP had been around since
    > the '70s.

    In about 1971 NCR, whom I worked for, installed a modem to transfer
    data to the US. The phone company (not Telecom in those days) had not
    heard of modems and kept interrupting our calls because they were
    making weird noises.
    Matty F, Feb 13, 2011
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:41:34 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > In about 1971 NCR, whom I worked for, installed a modem to transfer data
    > to the US. The phone company (not Telecom in those days) had not heard
    > of modems and kept interrupting our calls because they were making weird
    > noises.

    Telecom is what remains of the "Telegraph" part of the old New Zealand
    Post Office after it was ripped apart.

    Boots, Feb 14, 2011