    ldo@theon:junk> rmdir part1
    ldo@theon:junk> ls -l
    total 0

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    John Little, May 27, 2011

  3. In message
    <>, John
    Little wrote:

    > That â„ isn't a normal ASCII 47 slash, but a solidus, U+2044.

    Actually my Unicode book says that’s the “fraction slashâ€, the “solidusâ€
    being in fact the ASCII character.

    There’s also the “division slashâ€, U+2215. In the font I’m using in Konsole,
    that one looks almost exactly like the solidus.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    John Little Guest

    Re: What’s Going On Here?

    On May 27, 6:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, John
    >
    > Little wrote:
    > > That â„ isn't a normal ASCII 47 slash, but a solidus, U+2044.

    > Actually my Unicode book says that’s the “fraction slashâ€, the “solidusâ€
    > being in fact the ASCII character.

    As the Wikipedia article explains, the unicode people have misnamed
    the slash as the solidus. I don't necessarily accept their stuff as
    gospel.

    > There’s also the “division slashâ€, U+2215. In thefont I’m using in Konsole,
    > that one looks almost exactly like the solidus.

    In my gnome-terminal (using DejaVu Sans Mono Book 8) and gvim (using
    Sans Regular 10 the solidus (U+2044) looks quite different to the
    slash (U+002F) being shorter and less than 45° from the horizontal.
    (Also in konsole using Monospace 8). In firefox where I use the Serif
    font, they are similar but the former is less steep, rendering 4
    pixels wide rather than 3.

    However, in gnome-terminal, gvim and konsole the ∕ U+2215 appears
    nearly identically (slight antialiasing differences revealed by kmag)
    to a slash (U+002F) but in firefox noticeably less steep. Here they
    are together:
    /â„∕

    (BTW, I find konsole very frustrating because the blink is far too
    slow, and can't be adjusted. I like about 5 blinks a second, konsole
    is 1. So I use gnome-terminal in KDE.)

    Regards, John

    John Little, May 27, 2011