    This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jan 19, 2007

  2. Scott W

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    >
    > Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    > got this.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    >
    > Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
    > got this one.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    >
    > This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    > and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

    LOL - wow, nice set of images! Thanks for sharing.

    PS - tomorrow take the 50 pound boat, and a macro lens.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Jan 19, 2007

  3. Scott W wrote:
    > I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    >
    > Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    > got this.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    >
    > Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
    > got this one.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    >
    > This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    > and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.
    >
    > Scott

    I remember a couple of years or more ago seeing a photo where the whale
    was essentially right out of the water - shortly after this the waves
    capsised the canoe - anyone remember this?

    Gordon

    Gordon MacPherson, Jan 19, 2007
  4. Scott W

    Skip Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in message
    >I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    >
    > Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    > got this.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    >
    > Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
    > got this one.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    >
    > This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    > and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.
    >
    > Scott

    Nice shots! You're a braver man than I. I'd have lit out for shore at the
    first sign of Leviathan! ;-) Seriously, one of the most nervous moments of
    my youth was having several Gray Whales swim alongside my parent's 27 ft
    sailboat for several miles. It makes one aware of one's insignificance...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip, Jan 19, 2007
  5. Scott W

    AustinMN Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    >
    > Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    > got this.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    >
    > Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
    > got this one.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    >
    > This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    > and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

    I'm going to suggest everyone looking at the third image check where
    the horizon meets the whalewatch ship. The camera had to be that
    height or higher above the water. In a canoe, heh?

    Austin

    AustinMN, Jan 19, 2007
  6. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    AustinMN wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    > > I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    > > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    > >
    > > Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    > > got this.
    > > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    > >
    > > Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
    > > got this one.
    > > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    > >
    > > This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    > > and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

    > I'm going to suggest everyone looking at the third image check where
    > the horizon meets the whalewatch ship. The camera had to be that
    > height or higher above the water. In a canoe, heh?
    >
    > Austin

    There is land past the ship, if you look closely light poles between
    the ship and the whale.
    And you should be able to make out the line between the land and the
    water, although is it
    dim. Yes I was in a canoe.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jan 19, 2007
  7. Scott W

    Matt Ion Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > AustinMN wrote:
    >
    >>Scott W wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    >>>
    >>>Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    >>>got this.
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    >>>
    >>>Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
    >>>got this one.
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    >>>
    >>>This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    >>>and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

    >>I'm going to suggest everyone looking at the third image check where
    >>the horizon meets the whalewatch ship. The camera had to be that
    >>height or higher above the water. In a canoe, heh?
    >>
    >>Austin

    > There is land past the ship, if you look closely light poles between
    > the ship and the whale.
    > And you should be able to make out the line between the land and the
    > water, although is it
    > dim. Yes I was in a canoe.

    PWNED!

    Great shots, Scott. Make sure your life insurance is paid up the next time you
    wanna do that!

    Matt Ion, Jan 19, 2007
  8. Scott W

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    > Scott W wrote:
    >> AustinMN wrote:

    >>>I'm going to suggest everyone looking at the third image check where
    >>>the horizon meets the whalewatch ship. The camera had to be that
    >>>height or higher above the water. In a canoe, heh?
    >>>
    >>>Austin

    >> There is land past the ship, if you look closely light poles between
    >> the ship and the whale.
    >> And you should be able to make out the line between the land and the
    >> water, although is it
    >> dim. Yes I was in a canoe.

    > PWNED!
    >
    > Great shots, Scott. Make sure your life insurance is paid up the next
    > time you wanna do that!

    Unless you are bothering the whales (which is illegal anyway), they know
    where you are and will not bother you. Only time anyone seems to
    get "landed on" or other wise roughed up by whales is when they
    have been bugging them (there was one a couple of years ago where
    an Orca if I remember correctly landed on a Kayak - if you looked at
    the video it was fairly obvious the people had been trying to see how
    close they could get). I have been out in the San Juans (Washington)
    and had a pod of orca's go right under me as they worked their way
    along the shore hunting. We just sat there, made it obvious we were
    not a threat or bothering them and no problem - and it was obvious
    from the way they acted that they were well aware of our presence
    (although it is impressive in a 19 foot boat watching the black and
    white
    submarines go under you !!).

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Jan 19, 2007
  9. Scott W

    Zen Diver Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    >
    > Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    > got this.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    >
    > Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and I
    > got this one.
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    >
    > This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is breaching
    > and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.
    >
    > Scott

    Here's my three from me. Different angle.
    http://flickr.com/photos/zendiver/tags/minke/

    jon

    Zen Diver, Jan 20, 2007
  10. Zen Diver <> wrote:

    : Here's my three from me. Different angle.
    : http://flickr.com/photos/zendiver/tags/minke/

    Those are the photos from AFTER the wave swamped the canoe. Right? :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jan 20, 2007
  11. Scott W

    Mark² Guest

    AustinMN wrote:
    > Scott W wrote:
    >> I was out on my canoe tonight and came across this fellow.
    >> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249306/original
    >>
    >> Pretty neat but I was way to far away, so I paddled a bit closer and
    >> got this.
    >> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249313/original
    >>
    >> Better but still just a bit too far away, so a bit more paddling and
    >> I got this one.
    >> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/73249323/original
    >>
    >> This is about as close as I want to get to a whale when it is
    >> breaching and I am on a boat that weighs all of 25 Lbs.

    > I'm going to suggest everyone looking at the third image check where
    > the horizon meets the whalewatch ship. The camera had to be that
    > height or higher above the water. In a canoe, heh?
    >
    > Austin

    That's LAND back there, you boob.
    :)

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 20, 2007
  12. Scott W

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:
    > "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    >> Scott W wrote:

    >>> There is land past the ship, if you look closely light poles between
    >>> the ship and the whale.
    >>> And you should be able to make out the line between the land and the
    >>> water, although is it
    >>> dim. Yes I was in a canoe.

    >> PWNED!
    >>
    >> Great shots, Scott. Make sure your life insurance is paid up the
    >> next time you wanna do that!

    > Unless you are bothering the whales (which is illegal anyway), they
    > know where you are and will not bother you. Only time anyone seems to
    > get "landed on" or other wise roughed up by whales is when they
    > have been bugging them (there was one a couple of years ago where
    > an Orca if I remember correctly landed on a Kayak - if you looked at
    > the video it was fairly obvious the people had been trying to see how
    > close they could get). I have been out in the San Juans (Washington)
    > and had a pod of orca's go right under me as they worked their way
    > along the shore hunting. We just sat there, made it obvious we were
    > not a threat or bothering them and no problem - and it was obvious
    > from the way they acted that they were well aware of our presence
    > (although it is impressive in a 19 foot boat watching the black and
    > white
    > submarines go under you !!).
    >
    > mikey

    You mean like this?:
    and

    :)
    Ya, it's a little intimidating...

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 20, 2007
  13. Scott W

    Mike Fields Guest

    > Mike Fields wrote:
    >> "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message

    >>> PWNED!
    >>>
    >>> Great shots, Scott. Make sure your life insurance is paid up the
    >>> next time you wanna do that!

    >> Unless you are bothering the whales (which is illegal anyway), they
    >> know where you are and will not bother you. Only time anyone seems
    >> get "landed on" or other wise roughed up by whales is when they
    >> have been bugging them (there was one a couple of years ago where
    >> an Orca if I remember correctly landed on a Kayak - if you looked at
    >> the video it was fairly obvious the people had been trying to see how
    >> close they could get). I have been out in the San Juans (Washington)
    >> and had a pod of orca's go right under me as they worked their way
    >> along the shore hunting. We just sat there, made it obvious we were
    >> not a threat or bothering them and no problem - and it was obvious
    >> from the way they acted that they were well aware of our presence
    >> (although it is impressive in a 19 foot boat watching the black and
    >> white
    >> submarines go under you !!).
    >>
    >> mikey

    > You mean like this?:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903284/original
    > and
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47760961/original
    >
    > :)
    > Ya, it's a little intimidating...
    >
    > --
    > Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    > www.pbase.com/markuson

    Yep like that and closer - and they don't bother you at all (although
    they are often curious). I do remember seeing some video shot
    near Vancouver Island some years back where a fast 35 foot type
    research boat was heading somewhere at about 15-20 kts (up on
    the step with a nice wake behind it) and they got video of an orca
    that decided to surf in the wake like a dolphin likes to - fairly close
    to the boat too. I have had them within 10 or 15 feet of me with
    no problems at all.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Jan 20, 2007
  14. Scott W

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Fields wrote:
    >> Mike Fields wrote:
    >>> "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message

    >>> Unless you are bothering the whales (which is illegal anyway), they
    >>> know where you are and will not bother you. Only time anyone seems
    >>> get "landed on" or other wise roughed up by whales is when they
    >>> have been bugging them (there was one a couple of years ago where
    >>> an Orca if I remember correctly landed on a Kayak - if you looked at
    >>> the video it was fairly obvious the people had been trying to see
    >>> how close they could get). I have been out in the San Juans
    >>> (Washington) and had a pod of orca's go right under me as they
    >>> worked their way along the shore hunting. We just sat there, made
    >>> it obvious we were not a threat or bothering them and no problem -
    >>> and it was obvious from the way they acted that they were well
    >>> aware of our presence (although it is impressive in a 19 foot boat
    >>> watching the black and white
    >>> submarines go under you !!).
    >>>
    >>> mikey

    >> You mean like this?:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47903284/original
    >> and
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/47760961/original
    >>
    >> :)
    >> Ya, it's a little intimidating...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    >> www.pbase.com/markuson
    >>

    > Yep like that and closer - and they don't bother you at all (although
    > they are often curious). I do remember seeing some video shot
    > near Vancouver Island some years back where a fast 35 foot type
    > research boat was heading somewhere at about 15-20 kts (up on
    > the step with a nice wake behind it) and they got video of an orca
    > that decided to surf in the wake like a dolphin likes to - fairly
    > close to the boat too. I have had them within 10 or 15 feet of me
    > with no problems at all.
    >
    > mikey

    Ya, a few of these were even closer (about 6 feet), and the truth is...they
    didn't seem to care one wit that I was there...

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 20, 2007
  15. In article <CRvsh.29328$>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
    even number here)@cox..net> says...

    > Ya, a few of these were even closer (about 6 feet), and the truth is...they
    > didn't seem to care one wit that I was there...

    Must be reassuring to know that you're not their target demographic !

    Had the good fortune to be on a lobster boat in the Bay of Fundy last
    year when a lone Humpback came for a look at us and swan directly under
    the boat. It then put on a flipper slapping display about ten yards
    away from us..

    That boat seemed very fragile at the time..

    T.
    --
    Do Binary Tripods have 11 legs ?

    Tony Gartshore, Jan 20, 2007
  16. Scott W

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Tony Gartshore" <> wrote in message
    In article <CRvsh.29328$>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
    even number here)@cox..net> says...

    > Ya, a few of these were even closer (about 6 feet), and the truth
    > is...they
    > didn't seem to care one wit that I was there...

    Must be reassuring to know that you're not their target demographic !

    Had the good fortune to be on a lobster boat in the Bay of Fundy last
    year when a lone Humpback came for a look at us and swan directly under
    the boat. It then put on a flipper slapping display about ten yards
    away from us..

    That boat seemed very fragile at the time..

    T.
    --
    Do Binary Tripods have 11 legs ?

    They leave scuba divers alone too in spite of the fact that seals and
    sea lions are their natural prey ... I suspect we give them gas :)
    (sort of like that dead whale they tried to blow up on the Oregon
    beach several years back !! )

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Jan 21, 2007