wget question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Miguel, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    Hi all...I'm using wget 1.10.2 to ftp an iso from a SuSE mirror in Oz

    But, cos I'm a Go Larger, after five or ten or fifteen minutes (take
    your pick) my internet connection grinds to a halt, pauses for a
    minute or two, then slowly gets itself going again. My torrents re-
    start fine, my browsing will start again, but wget just sits there
    doing nothing.

    So it's CTRL+C to quit and then I manually re-enter the command 'wget
    ftp:// blah blah blah' and wget kicks in again without any problems.

    My question....isn't it a wget default to resume the download (as both
    'man wget' and the wget FAQ imply)

    Or can someone suggest some command line options to force an attempt
    at reconnection.

    I've asked on the usual *nix forums but (surprisingly) have heard
    nothing yet. Any nz.comp'ers able to advise would be appreciated.

    Regards
    Miguel
     
    Miguel, Mar 21, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Miguel

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <>, Miguel wrote:
    > Hi all...I'm using wget 1.10.2 to ftp an iso from a SuSE mirror in Oz
    >
    > But, cos I'm a Go Larger, after five or ten or fifteen minutes (take
    > your pick) my internet connection grinds to a halt, pauses for a
    > minute or two, then slowly gets itself going again. My torrents re-
    > start fine, my browsing will start again, but wget just sits there
    > doing nothing.
    >
    > So it's CTRL+C to quit and then I manually re-enter the command 'wget
    > ftp:// blah blah blah' and wget kicks in again without any problems.
    >
    > My question....isn't it a wget default to resume the download (as both
    > 'man wget' and the wget FAQ imply)
    >
    > Or can someone suggest some command line options to force an attempt
    > at reconnection.
    >
    > I've asked on the usual *nix forums but (surprisingly) have heard
    > nothing yet. Any nz.comp'ers able to advise would be appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel
    >

    From wget --help

    --tries=NUMBER set number of retries to NUMBER (0 unlimits).
    --retry-connrefused retry even if connection is refused.

    so...
    wget -c --tries=0 --retry-connrefused ftp://blah.foo.com/a/big/file.iso

    Should do it.
     
    ChrisOD, Mar 21, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 21, 5:23 pm, ChrisOD <> wrote:

    >
    > From wget --help
    >
    > --tries=NUMBER set number of retries to NUMBER (0 unlimits).
    > --retry-connrefused retry even if connection is refused.
    >
    > so...
    > wget -c --tries=0 --retry-connrefusedftp://blah.foo.com/a/big/file.iso
    >
    > Should do it.


    Hi Chris...I tried exactly that command earlier today cos it made
    sense to me (great minds think alike :) but had no joy.

    I'm wondering if it's something that has to be set up server-side
    (even though that seems pretty unlikely)

    Regards
    Miguel
     
    Miguel, Mar 21, 2007
    #3
  4. Miguel

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mar 21, 5:23 pm, ChrisOD <> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > From wget --help
    > >
    > > --tries=NUMBER set number of retries to NUMBER (0 unlimits).
    > > --retry-connrefused retry even if connection is refused.
    > >
    > > so...
    > > wget -c --tries=0 --retry-connrefusedftp://blah.foo.com/a/big/file.iso
    > >
    > > Should do it.

    >
    > Hi Chris...I tried exactly that command earlier today cos it made
    > sense to me (great minds think alike :) but had no joy.
    >
    > I'm wondering if it's something that has to be set up server-side
    > (even though that seems pretty unlikely)


    No you're right - the FTP server has to support resume (I don't know of
    many that *don't* these days, but perhaps you've found one).

    --
    Duncan
     
    Dave Doe, Mar 21, 2007
    #4
  5. Miguel

    Blue Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:44:23 -0700, Miguel wrote:

    > But, cos I'm a Go Larger, after five or ten or fifteen minutes (take
    > your pick) my internet connection grinds to a halt, pauses for a minute
    > or two, then slowly gets itself going again. My torrents re- start fine,
    > my browsing will start again, but wget just sits there doing nothing.


    Ah the switches of the command line. -c will do it.

    -c
    --continue
    Continue getting a partially-downloaded file. This is useful
    when
    you want to finish up a download started by a previous
    instance of
    Wget, or by another program. For instance:

    wget -c ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/ls-lR.Z


    *****

    Good on you for using wget. It is the tool to shift large files around.
     
    Blue, Mar 21, 2007
    #5
  6. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > Hi all...I'm using wget 1.10.2 to ftp an iso from a SuSE mirror in Oz
    >
    > But, cos I'm a Go Larger, after five or ten or fifteen minutes (take
    > your pick) my internet connection grinds to a halt, pauses for a
    > minute or two, then slowly gets itself going again. My torrents re-
    > start fine, my browsing will start again, but wget just sits there
    > doing nothing.
    >
    > So it's CTRL+C to quit and then I manually re-enter the command 'wget
    > ftp:// blah blah blah' and wget kicks in again without any problems.
    >
    > My question....isn't it a wget default to resume the download (as both
    > 'man wget' and the wget FAQ imply)
    >
    > Or can someone suggest some command line options to force an attempt
    > at reconnection.
    >
    > I've asked on the usual *nix forums but (surprisingly) have heard
    > nothing yet. Any nz.comp'ers able to advise would be appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel


    <blind stab in the dark>
    Change the --read-timeout=seconds to a lower value (default is 900 seconds)
    If you set it to [say] 90 seconds, wget will timeout a read connection that
    goes idle for 90seconds (or more) and restart the download
    </blind stab in the dark>
     
    Shane, Mar 21, 2007
    #6
  7. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 22, 7:53 am, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    > <blind stab in the dark>
    > </blind stab in the dark>


    Absolutely superb use of mark-up language there :)


    For the record, it seems as though I may have been a bit hasty in
    blaming wget. It does remake a connection as a default option. The
    thing is it may take up to twenty minutes to do so. Whereas if I
    manually ctrl+c then restart, the connection will resume immediately.

    Will try and force a shorter restart time via the command options.

    Thanks all for replying :)

    Regards
    Miguel
     
    Miguel, Mar 21, 2007
    #7
  8. Miguel

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-03-21, Miguel <> wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 5:23 pm, ChrisOD <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> From wget --help
    >>
    >> --tries=NUMBER set number of retries to NUMBER (0 unlimits).
    >> --retry-connrefused retry even if connection is refused.
    >>
    >> so...
    >> wget -c --tries=0 --retry-connrefusedftp://blah.foo.com/a/big/file.iso
    >>
    >> Should do it.

    >
    > Hi Chris...I tried exactly that command earlier today cos it made
    > sense to me (great minds think alike :) but had no joy.


    -c works fine here.

    > I'm wondering if it's something that has to be set up server-side
    > (even though that seems pretty unlikely)


    It's entirely possible that that server doesn't support resume,
    try a different server.

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    jasen, Mar 23, 2007
    #8
  9. Miguel

    Shane Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > On Mar 22, 7:53 am, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >
    >> <blind stab in the dark>
    >> </blind stab in the dark>

    >
    > Absolutely superb use of mark-up language there :)
    >
    >
    > For the record, it seems as though I may have been a bit hasty in
    > blaming wget. It does remake a connection as a default option. The
    > thing is it may take up to twenty minutes to do so. Whereas if I
    > manually ctrl+c then restart, the connection will resume immediately.
    >
    > Will try and force a shorter restart time via the command options.
    >
    > Thanks all for replying :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel


    Hmm 900 seconds is only 15 minutes.. :)
    I'm guessing you found /etc/wgetrc which can be used to set systemwide
    preferences, (cue quotas), and noted that ~/.wgetrc can be used for per
    user settings
    Either or will save the need to type in long strings of settings repeatedly
     
    Shane, Mar 24, 2007
    #9
  10. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 24, 1:39 pm, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    > I'm guessing you found ......


    Actually, what happened was....

    I was originally downloading a SuSE iso using wget. Just for something
    to do (cos I was having reconnect problems with wget and getting a bit
    frustrated) I decided to get the latest kernel and programme updates
    for my operating system (Xubuntu Edgy)

    Downloaded all updates and rebooted my system. Unbeknownst to me the
    update to "cryptsetup" had a bug (since patched but I didn't know at
    the time).

    My system has four partitions - an encrypted root/home partition, an
    un-encrypted root/home partition, an encrypted swap partition, and an
    XP partition.

    Needless to say, I couldn't boot into my encrypted system which caused
    a "slight" panic.... To cut a long story short - DBAN'ed the whole 80
    gig drive and thank god for Partimage and thank god for routine
    backups. I restored a clean backup image of my XP partition and my un-
    encrypted Xubuntu root/home partiton. And with cryptsetup I can set up
    the encrypted partitions in ninety minutes flat.

    So six hours later I'm back to where I was six hours earlier except
    without the partially-downloaded SuSE iso which was nuked by DBAN
    (fittingly, in my opinion, cos it was the catalyst for all the
    trouble).

    So....my problems with wget have been postponed to another day when I
    can be bothered getting back to them. At least my computer got an
    unintentional spring clean.

    Moral of the story is.....backup, backup, backup.

    Regards
    Miguel :)
     
    Miguel, Mar 24, 2007
    #10
  11. Miguel

    Bobs Guest

    On Mar 24, 4:53 pm, "Miguel" <> wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 1:39 pm, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm guessing you found ......

    >
    > Actually, what happened was....
    >
    > I was originally downloading a SuSE iso using wget. Just for something
    > to do (cos I was having reconnect problems with wget and getting a bit
    > frustrated) I decided to get the latest kernel and programme updates
    > for my operating system (Xubuntu Edgy)
    >
    > Downloaded all updates and rebooted my system. Unbeknownst to me the
    > update to "cryptsetup" had a bug (since patched but I didn't know at
    > the time).
    >
    > My system has four partitions - an encrypted root/home partition, an
    > un-encrypted root/home partition, an encrypted swap partition, and an
    > XP partition.
    >
    > Needless to say, I couldn't boot into my encrypted system which caused
    > a "slight" panic.... To cut a long story short - DBAN'ed the whole 80
    > gig drive and thank god for Partimage and thank god for routine
    > backups. I restored a clean backup image of my XP partition and my un-
    > encrypted Xubuntu root/home partiton. And with cryptsetup I can set up
    > the encrypted partitions in ninety minutes flat.
    >
    > So six hours later I'm back to where I was six hours earlier except
    > without the partially-downloaded SuSE iso which was nuked by DBAN
    > (fittingly, in my opinion, cos it was the catalyst for all the
    > trouble).
    >
    > So....my problems with wget have been postponed to another day when I
    > can be bothered getting back to them. At least my computer got an
    > unintentional spring clean.
    >
    > Moral of the story is.....backup, backup, backup.
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel :)


    Wow, LINUX IS AWESOME!!!
     
    Bobs, Mar 24, 2007
    #11
  12. Miguel wrote:
    > Hi all...I'm using wget 1.10.2 to ftp an iso from a SuSE mirror in Oz
    >
    > But, cos I'm a Go Larger, after five or ten or fifteen minutes (take
    > your pick) my internet connection grinds to a halt, pauses for a
    > minute or two, then slowly gets itself going again. My torrents re-
    > start fine, my browsing will start again, but wget just sits there
    > doing nothing.
    >
    > So it's CTRL+C to quit and then I manually re-enter the command 'wget
    > ftp:// blah blah blah' and wget kicks in again without any problems.
    >
    > My question....isn't it a wget default to resume the download (as both
    > 'man wget' and the wget FAQ imply)
    >
    > Or can someone suggest some command line options to force an attempt
    > at reconnection.
    >
    > I've asked on the usual *nix forums but (surprisingly) have heard
    > nothing yet. Any nz.comp'ers able to advise would be appreciated.


    The last time I used wget to get a dvd image it puked at 2GB. Has that been
    fixed yet ?

    My suspicion is that some glitch causes all your connections to die whence wget
    starts it's timeout then the ctrl/C the resume info. Try with a short time out
    and lotsa retries and leave wget to itself once you've started it.
     
    Mark Robinson, Mar 26, 2007
    #12
  13. Miguel

    Miguel Guest

    On Mar 27, 12:45 am, Mark Robinson <2tod.net>
    wrote:

    > The last time I used wget to get a dvd image it puked at 2GB. Has that been
    > fixed yet ?


    Yes. Pre-wget v1.10 had the 2GB limit. That's all fixed.

    > My suspicion is that some glitch causes all your connections to die whence wget
    > starts it's timeout then the ctrl/C the resume info. Try with a short time out
    > and lotsa retries and leave wget to itself once you've started it.


    After a few days of using wget I think the original problem was carbon-
    based. A case of "engage brain before operating keyboard". RTFman.

    Regards
    Miguel
     
    Miguel, Mar 26, 2007
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Henry

    WGET

    Henry, Aug 10, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    698
    Celtic Leroy
    Aug 11, 2004
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    564
  3. barb
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,121
  4. Philip

    Who can help with WGet?

    Philip, Feb 22, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    320
    Philip
    Feb 22, 2006
  5. Philip

    Help wanted with WGet

    Philip, Feb 22, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    495
    ChrisOD
    Feb 24, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page