    over a year and I noticed that my Norton security automatically lets this
    program have web access. I am a little concerned that I (and my Zone Alarm)
    haven't picked this up before - what exactly does this program do?
    george, Jun 12, 2006

  2. george wrote:
    > Hi All
    > My Zone Alarm firewall recently started asking on occassions whether
    > I would let windows advantage notification access internet. I've had
    > this pc for over a year and I noticed that my Norton security
    > automatically lets this program have web access. I am a little
    > concerned that I (and my Zone Alarm) haven't picked this up before -
    > what exactly does this program do?

    It phones home and reports to Uncle Bill every day, although apparently
    Microsoft intends to change it so that it only phones home every two
    weeks:

    http://www.informationweek.com/internet/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=188703441

    You can block it with your firewall, and you can disable or uninstall
    it, although not with "Add and Remove Programs." But Windows Update will
    try to install it again and again, unless you hide it. And if you hide
    it, WU will tell you that your computer may be at risk. You can read all
    the bitching, here:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q28151F3D

    Microsoft spyware, plain and simple:

    Information collected during validation
    Q: What information is collected from my computer?
    A: The genuine validation process will collect information about your
    system to determine if your Microsoft software is genuine. This process
    does not collect or send any information that can be used to identify
    you or contact you. The only information collected in the validation
    process is:

    * Windows product key
    * PC manufacturer
    * Operating System version
    * PID/SID
    * BIOS information (make, version, date)
    * BIOS MD5 Checksum
    * User locale (language setting for displaying Windows)
    * System locale (language version of the operating system)
    * Office product key (if validating Office)
    * Hard drive serial number
    Q: How does Microsoft use this information?
    A: The information serves three purposes:

    * It provides Web page flow, tailoring the pages you see based on
    your responses.
    * It conveys demographics, which help Microsoft to understand
    regional differences in Windows or Office usage.
    * It confirms user input. User input is often compared

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Insisting on perfect safety is for people
    without the balls to live in the real world.
    Mary Shafer Iliff
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jun 12, 2006

  3. Hmmm.... it looks for languages. Looking specifically for mideastern,
    maybe? And if so, why would MS want this info? Maybe someone else
    wants it.

    And if MS is giving this info to "someone else", just maybe MS feels
    compelled to give ALL info to this someone else.

    We now know that this someone else wants all info on everyone.

    Trust MS? Hell, hope BGs mountain collapses on him. He's under their
    thumb!

    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:19:02 +0100, "george" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi All
    >My Zone Alarm firewall recently started asking on occassions whether I would
    >let windows advantage notification access internet. I've had this pc for
    >over a year and I noticed that my Norton security automatically lets this
    >program have web access. I am a little concerned that I (and my Zone Alarm)
    >haven't picked this up before - what exactly does this program do?

    ..
    Time for the truth?
    www.goatstar.org
    Bushlies Troopsdie, Jun 18, 2006
  4. george

    nunya Guest

    Bushlies Troopsdie wrote:
    > Hmmm.... it looks for languages. Looking specifically for mideastern,
    > maybe? And if so, why would MS want this info? Maybe someone else
    > wants it.
    >
    > And if MS is giving this info to "someone else", just maybe MS feels
    > compelled to give ALL info to this someone else.
    >

    > We now know that this someone else wants all info on everyone.
    >
    > Trust MS? Hell, hope BGs mountain collapses on him. He's under their
    > thumb!
    >

    > On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:19:02 +0100, "george" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All
    >> My Zone Alarm firewall recently started asking on occassions whether I would
    >> let windows advantage notification access internet. I've had this pc for
    >> over a year and I noticed that my Norton security automatically lets this
    >> program have web access. I am a little concerned that I (and my Zone Alarm)
    >> haven't picked this up before - what exactly does this program do?
    >>

    > .
    > Time for the truth?
    > www.goatstar.org

    It is not some conspiracy nor unknown. In 1999 M$ was deep in it with
    the NSA. Still wondering at all?
    nunya, Jun 19, 2006