    first customers of the New Zealand Supercomputing Centre set up in
    downtown Wellington by Peter Jackson's special effects shop Weta Digital
    and Telecom."

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:49:09 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21238
    >
    >"LORD OF the Rings director Peter Jackson is renting out the
    >supercomputer he used to do the special effects for his movies to a
    >mysterious chip developer from the US."
    >
    >and further here.
    >
    >http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking...r/2005/02/14/1108229907655.html?oneclick=true
    >"A US computer chip company and a Canadian biotech firm are among the
    >first customers of the New Zealand Supercomputing Centre set up in
    >downtown Wellington by Peter Jackson's special effects shop Weta Digital
    >and Telecom."

    What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Feb 14, 2005

  3. DoggNZ wrote:
    >>http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking...r/2005/02/14/1108229907655.html?oneclick=true
    >>"A US computer chip company and a Canadian biotech firm are among the
    >>first customers of the New Zealand Supercomputing Centre set up in
    >>downtown Wellington by Peter Jackson's special effects shop Weta Digital
    >>and Telecom."

    > What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

    they were(so Im told by a guy who works there), but it consumes so much
    power that it isn't worth it.

    they used it during the downtime in LOTR to keep the machines busy, as
    apparently it is bad to turn off the AC in there or something to that
    effect.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:37cnorF5cra47U1
    @individual.net:

    > What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

    SETI, bah...
    Help Humans first!
    http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    > news:37cnorF5cra47U1 @individual.net:
    >
    >> What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

    > SETI, bah...
    > Help Humans first!
    > http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

    Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think anything
    discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge? They're looking
    into making better drugs and they're going to make billions of dollars out
    of the computers of misguided philanthropists who sign up and donate their
    electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just tug at the heart-strings? Help
    people, cure disease, save lives. They just neglected to mention the "Make
    us $billions" part.

    Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and more
    powerful than they already are.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    > corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think
    > anything discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge?
    > They're looking into making better drugs and they're going to make
    > billions of dollars out of the computers of misguided philanthropists
    > who sign up and donate their electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just
    > tug at the heart-strings? Help people, cure disease, save lives. They
    > just neglected to mention the "Make us $billions" part.
    >
    > Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and more
    > powerful than they already are.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how is
    that a bad thing?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    >> corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think
    >> anything discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge?
    >> They're looking into making better drugs and they're going to make
    >> billions of dollars out of the computers of misguided philanthropists
    >> who sign up and donate their electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just
    >> tug at the heart-strings? Help people, cure disease, save lives. They
    >> just neglected to mention the "Make us $billions" part.
    >>
    >> Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and
    >> more powerful than they already are.

    > If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how
    > is that a bad thing?

    The world is overpopulated, people need to die. We can't go keeping
    everybody alive. Especially if an American corporation is making millions
    out of it.
    --
    ~misfit~........ Whose best friend died two weeks ago of un-diagnosed
    diabetes-related heart problems, age 44.

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    >>news:37cnorF5cra47U1 @individual.net:
    >>

    >>> What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

    >>SETI, bah...
    >>Help Humans first!
    >>http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

    > Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    > corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think anything
    > discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge? They're looking
    > into making better drugs and they're going to make billions of dollars out
    > of the computers of misguided philanthropists who sign up and donate their
    > electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just tug at the heart-strings? Help
    > people, cure disease, save lives. They just neglected to mention the "Make
    > us $billions" part.
    >
    > Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and more
    > powerful than they already are.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Yeah I'd rather try and find extraterrestrials to cure diseases :-\

    Axle, Feb 16, 2005
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how
    >>is that a bad thing?

    > The world is overpopulated, people need to die. We can't go keeping
    > everybody alive. Especially if an American corporation is making millions
    > out of it.

    Indeed it is over-populated, a little culling is certainly needed to
    keep the herd healthy... and mildly linked...

    There was some discussion on the numbers of people dying from "terrorist
    attacks"*, and what they came up with was that other than shifting the
    deaths from the US to Iraq, "Terrorism related deaths" have increased if
    any change at all.

    > ~misfit~........ Whose best friend died two weeks ago of un-diagnosed
    > diabetes-related heart problems, age 44.

    that sucks... I assume you mean un-diagnosed until he died?

    *I personally hate the word terrorist... what sort of attack that
    involves death, doesnt incite terror? wouldn't that make all attacks
    resulting in death "terrorist acts"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 16, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > *I personally hate the word terrorist... what sort of attack that
    > involves death, doesnt incite terror? wouldn't that make all attacks
    > resulting in death "terrorist acts"

    heh, further to that, wouldn't that make making a terrifying horror
    movie a terrorist act... rotfl

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 16, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Axle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    >>> news:37cnorF5cra47U1 @individual.net:

    >>> SETI, bah...
    >>> Help Humans first!
    >>> http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

    >> Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    >> corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think
    >> anything discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge?
    >> They're looking into making better drugs and they're going to make
    >> billions of dollars out of the computers of misguided
    >> philanthropists who sign up and donate their electicity and CPU
    >> time. Doesn't it just tug at the heart-strings? Help people, cure
    >> disease, save lives. They just neglected to mention the "Make us
    >> $billions" part.
    >>
    >> Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and
    >> more powerful than they already are.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Yeah I'd rather try and find extraterrestrials to cure diseases :-\

    LOL, I agree.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    simondo Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    >> news:37cnorF5cra47U1 @individual.net:
    >>
    >>> What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

    >> SETI, bah...
    >> Help Humans first!
    >> http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

    > Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    > corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think anything
    > discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge? They're
    > looking into making better drugs and they're going to make billions of
    > dollars out of the computers of misguided philanthropists who sign up and
    > donate their electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just tug at the
    > heart-strings? Help people, cure disease, save lives. They just neglected
    > to mention the "Make us $billions" part.
    >
    > Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and more
    > powerful than they already are.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    And from their faw at http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#project.own :

    quote:
    Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?

    Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an
    academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford
    University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution
    dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or
    make any money off of it.

    Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular,
    the results from Folding@home will be made available on several levels.
    Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be submitted to
    scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be
    posted on the web page after publication. Next, after publication of these
    scientific articles which analyze the data, the raw data of the folding
    runs will be available for everyone, including other researchers, here on
    this web site.
    \quote

    Looks like "anything discovered" will be (and is already) available free of
    charge to me.

    http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html
    http://folding.stanford.edu/papers.html

    simondo

    simondo, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:05:07 +1300, Axle wrote:

    > Yeah I'd rather try and find extraterrestrials to cure diseases :-\

    Still, which one is more likely to actually achieve anything at all?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 16, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how
    >>> is that a bad thing?

    >> The world is overpopulated, people need to die. We can't go keeping
    >> everybody alive. Especially if an American corporation is making
    >> millions out of it.

    > Indeed it is over-populated, a little culling is certainly needed to
    > keep the herd healthy... and mildly linked...

    I agree. That's the main reason I don't give money to charities that attempt
    to keep people alive in areas where large numbers of people were never meant
    to live. i.e. Deserts etc. What's the point in feeding them for a few weeks
    and making them healthy enough to procreate further? They say that 50% of
    children die before reaching a certain age. Duh! Isn't that natures way of
    saying (in no uncertain terms) that there are too many people trying to live
    on too few resources? Leave them alone! Don't increase their misery by
    feeding them enough to become terporarilly fertile, then force them to watch
    their children die. Let nature find a balance.

    > There was some discussion on the numbers of people dying from
    > "terrorist attacks"*, and what they came up with was that other than
    > shifting the deaths from the US to Iraq, "Terrorism related deaths"
    > have increased if any change at all.
    >
    >> ~misfit~........ Whose best friend died two weeks ago of un-diagnosed
    >> diabetes-related heart problems, age 44.

    > that sucks... I assume you mean un-diagnosed until he died?

    Yep, they found it then. He was walking along the street and just collapsed
    and died.

    > *I personally hate the word terrorist... what sort of attack that
    > involves death, doesnt incite terror? wouldn't that make all attacks
    > resulting in death "terrorist acts"

    The word "terrorist" has come to mean more than is implied my the root word
    'terror'. It's virtually a whole new word now.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> *I personally hate the word terrorist... what sort of attack that
    >> involves death, doesnt incite terror? wouldn't that make all attacks
    >> resulting in death "terrorist acts"

    > heh, further to that, wouldn't that make making a terrifying horror
    > movie a terrorist act... rotfl

    heh.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    simondo wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    >>> news:37cnorF5cra47U1 @individual.net:

    >>> SETI, bah...
    >>> Help Humans first!
    >>> http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

    >> Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    >> corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think
    >> anything discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge?
    >> They're looking into making better drugs and they're going to make
    >> billions of dollars out of the computers of misguided
    >> philanthropists who sign up and donate their electicity and CPU
    >> time. Doesn't it just tug at the heart-strings? Help people, cure
    >> disease, save lives. They just neglected to mention the "Make us
    >> $billions" part.
    >>
    >> Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and
    >> more powerful than they already are.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    > And from their faw at
    > http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#project.own :
    >
    > quote:
    > Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?
    >
    > Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an
    > academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford
    > University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution
    > dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the
    > data or make any money off of it.
    >
    > Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In
    > particular, the results from Folding@home will be made available on
    > several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be
    > submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal
    > articles will be posted on the web page after publication. Next,
    > after publication of these scientific articles which analyze the
    > data, the raw data of the folding runs will be available for
    > everyone, including other researchers, here on this web site.
    > \quote
    >
    > Looks like "anything discovered" will be (and is already) available
    > free of charge to me.
    >
    > http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html
    > http://folding.stanford.edu/papers.html

    Sounds good. I hope it's true.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Feb 17, 2005
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:05:07 +1300, Axle wrote:
    >

    >>Yeah I'd rather try and find extraterrestrials to cure diseases :-\

    > Still, which one is more likely to actually achieve anything at all?

    And is that a good thing or a bad thing ?

    Axle, Feb 17, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >>> If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how
    >>> is that a bad thing?

    >> The world is overpopulated, people need to die. We can't go keeping
    >> everybody alive. Especially if an American corporation is making millions
    >> out of it.

    > Indeed it is over-populated, a little culling is certainly needed to
    > keep the herd healthy... and mildly linked...

    After you, old chap, if you don't mind. ;-)

    Axle, Feb 17, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:33:47 +1300, Axle wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:05:07 +1300, Axle wrote:
    >>

    >>>Yeah I'd rather try and find extraterrestrials to cure diseases :-\

    >> Still, which one is more likely to actually achieve anything at all?
    >>

    > And is that a good thing or a bad thing ?

    That might depend on which thing is the one that might achieve something.

    That answers to those questions is left as an exercise for the reader ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 17, 2005
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > simondo wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:

    >>>Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
    >>>corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think
    >>>anything discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge?
    >>>They're looking into making better drugs and they're going to make
    >>>billions of dollars out of the computers of misguided
    >>>philanthropists who sign up and donate their electicity and CPU
    >>>time. Doesn't it just tug at the heart-strings? Help people, cure
    >>>disease, save lives. They just neglected to mention the "Make us
    >>>$billions" part.
    >>>
    >>>Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and
    >>>more powerful than they already are.
    >>>--
    >>>~misfit~

    >>And from their faw at
    >>http://folding.stanford.edu/faq.html#project.own :
    >>
    >>quote:
    >>Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?
    >>
    >>Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an
    >>academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford
    >>University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution
    >>dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the
    >>data or make any money off of it.
    >>
    >>Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In
    >>particular, the results from Folding@home will be made available on
    >>several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be
    >>submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal
    >>articles will be posted on the web page after publication. Next,
    >>after publication of these scientific articles which analyze the
    >>data, the raw data of the folding runs will be available for
    >>everyone, including other researchers, here on this web site.
    >>\quote
    >>
    >>Looks like "anything discovered" will be (and is already) available
    >>free of charge to me.
    >>
    >>http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html
    >>http://folding.stanford.edu/papers.html

    > Sounds good. I hope it's true.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Well thats pretty boring, no conspiracy.

    I wonder who gets first stab at making money from the extraterrestials.

    Hmmmm

    I bet what has happened is that the powerful American drug companies
    have got so worried about the possibility of diseases being cured by
    extraterrestrials that they started a competing project just to slow the
    SETI lot down

    Axle, Feb 17, 2005