Weta Digital, the New Zealand-based visual effects company

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg House, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    Greg House, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Greg House

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:41 +1200, Greg House <
    exclaimed:

    >Lord of the Rings visual effects firm opts for Microsoft
    >
    >http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196215/lord-rings-visual-effects-firm

    Wow, that's pretty big news, actually. It's interesting how so many of
    the Linux poster boys are giving up and heading back to Microsoft.
    Can't blame them, I guess.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 9, 2007

  3. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:41 +1200, Greg House <
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> Lord of the Rings visual effects firm opts for Microsoft
    >>
    >> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196215/lord-rings-visual-effects-firm

    > Wow, that's pretty big news, actually. It's interesting how so many of
    > the Linux poster boys are giving up and heading back to Microsoft.
    > Can't blame them, I guess.

    Now there's a bit of wishful thinking.

    If you read the article they are adding some Microsoft software to their
    existing, huge, largely *n?x based toolkit.

    Classic.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 9, 2007
  4. Greg House

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:40:54 +1200, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:41 +1200, Greg House <
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Lord of the Rings visual effects firm opts for Microsoft
    >>>
    >>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196215/lord-rings-visual-effects-firm

    >> Wow, that's pretty big news, actually. It's interesting how so many of
    >> the Linux poster boys are giving up and heading back to Microsoft.
    >> Can't blame them, I guess.

    >Now there's a bit of wishful thinking.
    >
    >If you read the article they are adding some Microsoft software to their
    >existing, huge, largely *n?x based toolkit.

    Nope. Talking to an insider, they're rolling Microsoft software out
    throughout the organisation, and, all going well, are expecting it to
    replace their Linux graphics farms.

    >Classic.

    Indeed.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 9, 2007
  5. Greg House

    sam Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:41 +1200, Greg House <
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>> Lord of the Rings visual effects firm opts for Microsoft
    >>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196215/lord-rings-visual-effects-firm

    >> Wow, that's pretty big news, actually. It's interesting how so many of
    >> the Linux poster boys are giving up and heading back to Microsoft.
    >> Can't blame them, I guess.

    > Now there's a bit of wishful thinking.
    >
    > If you read the article they are adding some Microsoft software to their
    > existing, huge, largely *n?x based toolkit.
    >
    > Classic.

    LOL
    The compositing technology used by Weta is licensed from Apple, yet we
    don't see Mac fanboys claiming that Weta is giving up on Linux.
    Its just wintroll like dumfuks Woger and Fredag that consitently get
    the wrong end of the stick.
    sam, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Greg House

    sam Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:40:54 +1200, Mark Robinson
    > <2tod.net> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:41 +1200, Greg House <
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Wow, that's pretty big news, actually. It's interesting how so many of
    >>> the Linux poster boys are giving up and heading back to Microsoft.
    >>> Can't blame them, I guess.

    >> Now there's a bit of wishful thinking.
    >>
    >> If you read the article they are adding some Microsoft software to their
    >> existing, huge, largely *n?x based toolkit.

    > Nope. Talking to an insider, they're rolling Microsoft software out
    > throughout the organisation, and, all going well, are expecting it to
    > replace their Linux graphics farms.
    >
    >> Classic.

    > Indeed.

    I know more Park Road staff than you ever will
    They have plenty of front office Windows PCs and no intention at all of
    dropping Shake, Maya and Renderman.
    sam, Aug 9, 2007

  7. > Nope. Talking to an insider, they're rolling Microsoft software out
    > throughout the organisation, and, all going well, are expecting it to
    > replace their Linux graphics farms.

    Hahahahahahah!

    there can only be a couple of senarios here.
    1 - you are lying out of your arse and are just posting to agree with
    the OP as you want to believe that weta are ditching linux

    2 - you are telling what you believe is true but have 100% incorrect
    information

    3 - your "insider" is pulling your leg and you fell for it hook line and
    sinker
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 9, 2007
  8. sam wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:41 +1200, Greg House <
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Wow, that's pretty big news, actually. It's interesting how so many of
    >>> the Linux poster boys are giving up and heading back to Microsoft.
    >>> Can't blame them, I guess.

    >> Now there's a bit of wishful thinking.
    >>
    >> If you read the article they are adding some Microsoft software to
    >> their existing, huge, largely *n?x based toolkit.
    >>
    >> Classic.

    > LOL
    > The compositing technology used by Weta is licensed from Apple, yet we
    > don't see Mac fanboys claiming that Weta is giving up on Linux.
    > Its just wintroll like dumfuks Woger and Fredag that consitently get
    > the wrong end of the stick.

    Shake.. previously created by apple...
    weta owns the source code and unlimited licences. its run on linux at
    weta. its a discontinued product - ie apple doesnt support or develop it
    anymore, But weta have improved, modified it and fixed bugs

    I believe apple is creating a new product.. well re writing shake and it
    will be called soemthing else, but i dont know what platform it will run
    on... i have a feeling that it wont be linux compatible, but im only
    guessing here
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 9, 2007
  9. Greg House wrote:
    > Lord of the Rings visual effects firm opts for Microsoft
    >
    > http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2196215/lord-rings-visual-effects-firm

    This microsoft software will likely be used in certain departments
    alongside thier linux workstations. The renderwall (its not called a
    linux graphics farm or whatever it was called in a different post) will
    be untouched... well not completly untouched, It will only grow, but
    will always be linux based
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 9, 2007
  10. Greg House

    sam Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > sam wrote:
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:

    >>> Now there's a bit of wishful thinking.
    >>>
    >>> If you read the article they are adding some Microsoft software to
    >>> their existing, huge, largely *n?x based toolkit.
    >>>
    >>> Classic.

    >> LOL
    >> The compositing technology used by Weta is licensed from Apple, yet we
    >> don't see Mac fanboys claiming that Weta is giving up on Linux.
    >> Its just wintroll like dumfuks Woger and Fredag that consitently get
    >> the wrong end of the stick.

    > Shake.. previously created by apple...
    > weta owns the source code and unlimited licences. its run on linux at
    > weta. its a discontinued product - ie apple doesnt support or develop it
    > anymore, But weta have improved, modified it and fixed bugs
    >
    > I believe apple is creating a new product.. well re writing shake and it
    > will be called soemthing else, but i dont know what platform it will run
    > on... i have a feeling that it wont be linux compatible, but im only
    > guessing here

    I heard they are using also using Nuke for compositing, but there are
    still a lot of people with Shake skills to train on Nuke.
    sam, Aug 9, 2007
  11. Greg House

    sam Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:

    >> Nope. Talking to an insider, they're rolling Microsoft software out
    >> throughout the organisation, and, all going well, are expecting it to
    >> replace their Linux graphics farms.

    > Hahahahahahah!
    >
    > there can only be a couple of senarios here.
    > 1 - you are lying out of your arse and are just posting to agree with
    > the OP as you want to believe that weta are ditching linux
    >
    > 2 - you are telling what you believe is true but have 100% incorrect
    > information
    >
    > 3 - your "insider" is pulling your leg and you fell for it hook line and
    > sinker

    I think you've busted him pretty comprehensively
    So, as an insider, what X Window managers and desktop environments do
    you run on the modelling and compositing workstations ?
    sam, Aug 10, 2007
  12. sam wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nope. Talking to an insider, they're rolling Microsoft software out
    >>> throughout the organisation, and, all going well, are expecting it to
    >>> replace their Linux graphics farms.

    >> Hahahahahahah!
    >>
    >> there can only be a couple of senarios here.
    >> 1 - you are lying out of your arse and are just posting to agree with
    >> the OP as you want to believe that weta are ditching linux
    >>
    >> 2 - you are telling what you believe is true but have 100% incorrect
    >> information
    >>
    >> 3 - your "insider" is pulling your leg and you fell for it hook line
    >> and sinker

    > I think you've busted him pretty comprehensively
    > So, as an insider, what X Window managers and desktop environments do
    > you run on the modelling and compositing workstations ?

    modelling use windows. They use a piece of software developed by ex weta
    people - which has now been sold to autodesk... So it could get ported
    to linux

    compositing solely linux based, All linux machines are kubuntu 6.06 with
    a custom kernel
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 10, 2007
  13. sam wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >> sam wrote:

    >>> LOL
    >>> The compositing technology used by Weta is licensed from Apple, yet
    >>> we don't see Mac fanboys claiming that Weta is giving up on Linux.
    >>> Its just wintroll like dumfuks Woger and Fredag that consitently get
    >>> the wrong end of the stick.

    >> Shake.. previously created by apple...
    >> weta owns the source code and unlimited licences. its run on linux at
    >> weta. its a discontinued product - ie apple doesnt support or develop
    >> it anymore, But weta have improved, modified it and fixed bugs
    >>
    >> I believe apple is creating a new product.. well re writing shake and
    >> it will be called soemthing else, but i dont know what platform it
    >> will run on... i have a feeling that it wont be linux compatible, but
    >> im only guessing here
    >>

    > I heard they are using also using Nuke for compositing, but there are
    > still a lot of people with Shake skills to train on Nuke.

    A mixture, Some use nuke and some use shake. Nuke is starting to become
    more popular. There is a limit to what shake can do and since its not
    supported.. other options must be considered
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 10, 2007
  14. sam wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:25:41 +1200, Greg House <
    >>> exclaimed:

    >>> Wow, that's pretty big news, actually. It's interesting how so many of
    >>> the Linux poster boys are giving up and heading back to Microsoft.
    >>> Can't blame them, I guess.

    >> Now there's a bit of wishful thinking.
    >>
    >> If you read the article they are adding some Microsoft software to
    >> their existing, huge, largely *n?x based toolkit.
    >>
    >> Classic.

    > LOL
    > The compositing technology used by Weta is licensed from Apple, yet we
    > don't see Mac fanboys claiming that Weta is giving up on Linux.
    > Its just wintroll like dumfuks Woger and Fredag that consitently get
    > the wrong end of the stick.

    actually, i should rephrase...
    modelling... they use both linux and windows
    linux for modelling software, linux for maya

    anything maya runs on linux basially
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 10, 2007
  15. In message <>, Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > All linux machines are kubuntu 6.06 with a custom kernel

    Can you tell us what sorts of things were done to the kernel, just out of
    curiosity?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  16. Greg House

    sam Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > sam wrote:

    >>> Hahahahahahah!
    >>>
    >>> there can only be a couple of senarios here.
    >>> 1 - you are lying out of your arse and are just posting to agree with
    >>> the OP as you want to believe that weta are ditching linux
    >>>
    >>> 2 - you are telling what you believe is true but have 100% incorrect
    >>> information
    >>>
    >>> 3 - your "insider" is pulling your leg and you fell for it hook line
    >>> and sinker

    >> I think you've busted him pretty comprehensively
    >> So, as an insider, what X Window managers and desktop environments do
    >> you run on the modelling and compositing workstations ?

    > modelling use windows. They use a piece of software developed by ex weta
    > people - which has now been sold to autodesk... So it could get ported
    > to linux

    Yeah, Mudbox is the real news

    > compositing solely linux based, All linux machines are kubuntu 6.06 with
    > a custom kernel

    Thanks
    sam, Aug 10, 2007
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >
    >> All linux machines are kubuntu 6.06 with a custom kernel

    > Can you tell us what sorts of things were done to the kernel, just out of
    > curiosity?

    Just small modifications to work with everything we run here for
    everything to work within the pipeline

    I cant go into detail about the changes
    Andrew Lambert, Aug 10, 2007