Wet Camera - junk?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jmc, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. jmc

    jmc Guest

    My husband's new Sony Cybershot U40 stopped working yesterday, after
    we tried (and failed - 71+ mph winds and sleet) to climb Snowdon [1]
    yesterday. It was in the bottom of his pack, wrapped in something
    that should be waterproof, but apparently wasn't. Almost seems this
    might be more "high humidity" than anything else. I tried to tell him
    not to turn it on again for a few days, let it dry out, but of course
    he had to try it a couple more times.

    It is currently hanging in the airing closet, no battery, doors open,
    for at least three days.

    1) What are the chances this camera will ever work again?
    2) Any recommendations for getting it to work?
    3) Will Sony repair it for less than the cost of the camera, do you
    think?

    Thank God my Nikon Coolpix 8700 stayed dry! 'Course, once it started
    to rain, it stayed inside the plastic bag in my pack, & didn't come
    out 'till we got back inside the hotel. Gotta look for a wetsuit for
    the thing.

    Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated!

    [1] Snowdon is the highest mountain in Wales. I could not have
    possibly been wetter by the time we made it off the mountain. Made it
    within 150m of the top, but in the end the winds defeated me, as I'm
    small enough they could very easily push me off my feet. NOT a good
    thing on an unprotected mountain ridge.

    jmc
    usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
    Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.
    jmc, Sep 12, 2004

  2. jmc

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Don't give up on it. Give it a good week to dry. Tell your husband he
    should have listened to you!
    (Good God...did I just say that???)

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Sep 12, 2004

  3. I would think it should be dry by now, but I don't know what an airing
    closet is, and I don't know the humidity. Give it a try. If it works now,
    fine, if not, either keep trying to dry it, take it in for an estimate for
    repoairs, or just buy another camera.
    Phil Stripling, Sep 12, 2004
  4. jmc

    peter Guest

    Sometimes water may get into small cracks that is difficult to dry by airing
    out.
    If it doesn't work, try using a hair dryer on mild heat. The heat would help
    evaporate water hiding in cracks. Opening the case may also help.

    Turning-on wet electronic items runs a chance of shorting out something
    permenantly. If I have to guess, I'd say 50% chance it would still work.
    With today's electronics, even when the main power is off, part of the
    circuit may still be on. Removing all batteries is the only way to make sure
    it is off. Let's hope nothing in your camera gets oxidized.
    peter, Sep 12, 2004
  5. jmc

    Ron Hunter Guest

    jmc wrote:
    > My husband's new Sony Cybershot U40 stopped working yesterday, after
    > we tried (and failed - 71+ mph winds and sleet) to climb Snowdon [1]
    > yesterday. It was in the bottom of his pack, wrapped in something
    > that should be waterproof, but apparently wasn't. Almost seems this
    > might be more "high humidity" than anything else. I tried to tell him
    > not to turn it on again for a few days, let it dry out, but of course
    > he had to try it a couple more times.
    >
    > It is currently hanging in the airing closet, no battery, doors open,
    > for at least three days.
    >
    > 1) What are the chances this camera will ever work again?
    > 2) Any recommendations for getting it to work?
    > 3) Will Sony repair it for less than the cost of the camera, do you
    > think?
    >
    > Thank God my Nikon Coolpix 8700 stayed dry! 'Course, once it started
    > to rain, it stayed inside the plastic bag in my pack, & didn't come
    > out 'till we got back inside the hotel. Gotta look for a wetsuit for
    > the thing.
    >
    > Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated!
    >
    > [1] Snowdon is the highest mountain in Wales. I could not have
    > possibly been wetter by the time we made it off the mountain. Made it
    > within 150m of the top, but in the end the winds defeated me, as I'm
    > small enough they could very easily push me off my feet. NOT a good
    > thing on an unprotected mountain ridge.
    >

    > jmc
    > usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
    > Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

    A sealed plastic bag with some dessicant (silica gel) would help a lot
    in the future. I expect that your camera is a casualty.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 13, 2004
  6. ...not to mention the potential for lens fungus...

    Finlay Spicer, Sep 13, 2004
  7. jmc wrote:
    > My husband's new Sony Cybershot U40 stopped working yesterday, after
    > we tried (and failed - 71+ mph winds and sleet) to climb Snowdon [1]
    > yesterday. It was in the bottom of his pack, wrapped in something
    > that should be waterproof, but apparently wasn't. Almost seems this
    > might be more "high humidity" than anything else. I tried to tell him
    > not to turn it on again for a few days, let it dry out, but of course
    > he had to try it a couple more times.
    >
    > It is currently hanging in the airing closet, no battery, doors open,
    > for at least three days.
    >
    > 1) What are the chances this camera will ever work again?
    > 2) Any recommendations for getting it to work?
    > 3) Will Sony repair it for less than the cost of the camera, do you
    > think?

    > jmc
    > usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
    > Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

    I don't know if this helps at all, but my Nokia cell phone went through
    a partial cycle in the washing machine, and did not work (even though I
    immediately attempted to turn it on). I took it apart (probably against
    the warranty, though) as much as I could, and then took it into a cell
    store, where they took it apart even more, dried out the internals, etc.

    You'd be surprised just how much liquid gets inside all the electronics,
    taking it completely apart really is the only option, in my opinion. As
    I've said, it probably voids your warranty though. A professional
    camera shop could probably do it for you...

    By the way, my cell worked flawlessly after the complete dismantlement
    for airing. Victory!

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
    James Addison, Sep 13, 2004
  8. jmc

    Steve L Guest

    An old Fuji finepix I have was soaked when swamped buy a wave in the Med.
    After many weeks of drying out it still wouldn't work so, as it wasn't worth
    the cost of a commercial repair, as last resort I opened it up, blew away
    the salt crystals with compressed air and viola... one working camera with
    pictures intact. The video camera which suffered the same fate now only
    works in black and white and won't re-wind the tape. C'est-la-vie!
    Good luck
    Steve

    Steve L, Sep 13, 2004
  9. jmc

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Phil Stripling" <> wrote

    > I would think it should be dry by now, but I don't know what an airing

    closet is, and I don't know the humidity.

    An airing cupboard is usually a full-height enclosure that houses the
    hot-water cylinder and has slatted shelves for storing newly washed clothes
    and bedding etc. It is warm and dry and probably the best place for drying
    things out without having to worry about the sun over-heating the camera.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Sep 13, 2004
  10. jmc

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <>, jmc
    <> writes
    >My husband's new Sony Cybershot U40 stopped working yesterday, after
    >we tried (and failed - 71+ mph winds and sleet) to climb Snowdon [1]
    >yesterday. It was in the bottom of his pack, wrapped in something
    >that should be waterproof, but apparently wasn't. Almost seems this
    >might be more "high humidity" than anything else. I tried to tell him
    >not to turn it on again for a few days, let it dry out, but of course
    >he had to try it a couple more times.
    >
    >It is currently hanging in the airing closet, no battery, doors open,
    >for at least three days.
    >
    >1) What are the chances this camera will ever work again?

    Probably better than you think. Rainwater is fairly pure so once the
    system dries out there is a sporting chance that it will work again. The
    trick is getting it dry - a biscuit barrel with fresh desiccant in will
    help in the final stages.

    >2) Any recommendations for getting it to work?
    >3) Will Sony repair it for less than the cost of the camera, do you
    >think?

    Is it still under warrantee? You could take it in to a local service
    agent and see what they say. I have always found Sony among the more
    helpful manufacturers when their kit has failed. Expensive if it is a
    chargeable repair but good at their job. YMMV

    First thing though is get the camera thoroughly dry and see if it wakes
    up.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Sep 13, 2004
  11. jmc

    Ken Tough Guest

    jmc <> wrote:

    >My husband's new Sony Cybershot U40 stopped working yesterday, after
    >we tried (and failed - 71+ mph winds and sleet) to climb Snowdon [1]
    >yesterday. It was in the bottom of his pack, wrapped in something
    >that should be waterproof, but apparently wasn't. Almost seems this
    >might be more "high humidity" than anything else. I tried to tell him
    >not to turn it on again for a few days, let it dry out, but of course
    >he had to try it a couple more times.

    >Anyway, any help or advice is appreciated!

    It's possible switching it on has damaged it. Any lasting damage
    will be from mineral salts in the water; pure distilled water would
    eventually evaporate and be fine. (Much electronics these days is
    washed in water-based solutions during manufacture).

    Get some dessicant capsules (those 'DO NOT EAT' things from
    pill bottles) and put them in a ziplock bag with the camera.
    You can order big bags of dessicant from electronics shops.
    If no luck after a month or so, you'd need factory repair.
    Not sure of the cost of that Cybershot, but no service would
    be less than 100 pounds, I'm sure.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Sep 13, 2004
  12. jmc

    Ken Tough Guest

    James Addison <> wrote:

    >You'd be surprised just how much liquid gets inside all the electronics,
    >taking it completely apart really is the only option, in my opinion. As
    >I've said, it probably voids your warranty though. A professional
    >camera shop could probably do it for you...

    True. If anything happens to fall in the sea, (and you're lucky
    enough that it's switched off), your best bet is to immediately
    remove all the batteries and stick it in a bucket of fresh water.
    It's the salts and minerals that will usually do the permanent damage.

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Tough, Sep 13, 2004
  13. jmc

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:44:27 +0000 (UTC), Steve L wrote:

    > An old Fuji finepix I have was soaked when swamped buy a wave in the Med.
    > After many weeks of drying out it still wouldn't work so, as it wasn't worth
    > the cost of a commercial repair, as last resort I opened it up, blew away
    > the salt crystals with compressed air and viola... one working camera with
    > pictures intact. The video camera which suffered the same fate now only
    > works in black and white and won't re-wind the tape. C'est-la-vie!

    You're lucky. If you get anything immersed in salt-water the last thing you
    want to do to do is dry it out without giving it a thorough immersion wash
    in clean water. The salt does much more damage than the water.

    --
    John Bean

    Bacchus hath drowned more men than Neptune (Thomas Fuller)
    John Bean, Sep 13, 2004
  14. jmc

    spodosaurus Guest

    Finlay Spicer wrote:
    > ..not to mention the potential for lens fungus...

    hehehe CAMERA COOTIES!

    spodosaurus, Sep 13, 2004