Westpac trojan phishing email

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Simpson, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Yes, the phishers are at it again and have sent out email purporting
    to be from Westpac which invites customers to visit a website which
    accepts donations for Australia's paraplegic olympics team.

    The interesting thing about this phish is that the actual bonafide
    donation page is displayed -- not a clone, and if anyone enters there
    CC details to make a donation, that information *will* be delivered to
    the charity concerned.

    However, the original page has been cunningly framed by the phishers
    and the other (near invisible) frame in this set attempts to exploit a
    vulnerability in unpatched copies of Interent Explorer (of course) to
    load a trojan that logs your keystrokes (and goodness knows what
    else).

    Please tell all your friends and family. Visiting the phisher's
    website using a vulnerable browser, even if they don't actually enter
    anything into the form, may mean that their keystrokes are logged from
    that point on -- thus exposing credit card numbers and banking logins.

    There's more info on today's Aardvark.

    Bruce Simpson, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Bruce Simpson

    Kerry Guest

    "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, the phishers are at it again and have sent out email purporting
    > to be from Westpac which invites customers to visit a website which
    > accepts donations for Australia's paraplegic olympics team.
    >
    > The interesting thing about this phish is that the actual bonafide
    > donation page is displayed -- not a clone, and if anyone enters there
    > CC details to make a donation, that information *will* be delivered to
    > the charity concerned.
    >
    > However, the original page has been cunningly framed by the phishers
    > and the other (near invisible) frame in this set attempts to exploit a
    > vulnerability in unpatched copies of Interent Explorer (of course) to
    > load a trojan that logs your keystrokes (and goodness knows what
    > else).
    >
    > Please tell all your friends and family. Visiting the phisher's
    > website using a vulnerable browser, even if they don't actually enter
    > anything into the form, may mean that their keystrokes are logged from
    > that point on -- thus exposing credit card numbers and banking logins.

    Absolute bullshit. How can people be so fucking stupid? And to hell with
    your frigging site; go advertise the crap elsewhere!

    Kerry, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Bruce Simpson

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Kerry" <> wrote in message
    > "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, the phishers are at it again and have sent out email purporting
    > > to be from Westpac which invites customers to visit a website which
    > > accepts donations for Australia's paraplegic olympics team.
    > >
    > > The interesting thing about this phish is that the actual bonafide
    > > donation page is displayed -- not a clone, and if anyone enters there
    > > CC details to make a donation, that information *will* be delivered to
    > > the charity concerned.
    > >
    > > However, the original page has been cunningly framed by the phishers
    > > and the other (near invisible) frame in this set attempts to exploit a
    > > vulnerability in unpatched copies of Interent Explorer (of course) to
    > > load a trojan that logs your keystrokes (and goodness knows what
    > > else).
    > >
    > > Please tell all your friends and family. Visiting the phisher's
    > > website using a vulnerable browser, even if they don't actually enter
    > > anything into the form, may mean that their keystrokes are logged from
    > > that point on -- thus exposing credit card numbers and banking logins.

    > Absolute bullshit. How can people be so fucking stupid? And to hell with
    > your frigging site; go advertise the crap elsewhere!

    Piss off, Noddy.
    One Kerry around here is more than enough.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Bruce Simpson

    Kerry Guest

    > "Kerry" <> wrote in message
    > > "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > > > Yes, the phishers are at it again and have sent out email purporting
    > > > to be from Westpac which invites customers to visit a website which
    > > > accepts donations for Australia's paraplegic olympics team.
    > > >
    > > > The interesting thing about this phish is that the actual bonafide
    > > > donation page is displayed -- not a clone, and if anyone enters there
    > > > CC details to make a donation, that information *will* be delivered to
    > > > the charity concerned.
    > > >
    > > > However, the original page has been cunningly framed by the phishers
    > > > and the other (near invisible) frame in this set attempts to exploit a
    > > > vulnerability in unpatched copies of Interent Explorer (of course) to
    > > > load a trojan that logs your keystrokes (and goodness knows what
    > > > else).
    > > >
    > > > Please tell all your friends and family. Visiting the phisher's
    > > > website using a vulnerable browser, even if they don't actually enter
    > > > anything into the form, may mean that their keystrokes are logged from
    > > > that point on -- thus exposing credit card numbers and banking logins.

    > > Absolute bullshit. How can people be so fucking stupid? And to hell with
    > > your frigging site; go advertise the crap elsewhere!

    > Piss off, Noddy.
    > One Kerry around here is more than enough.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Bite me, you old coot.

    Kerry, Jun 1, 2004
  5. In article <%BUuc.74$>,
    says...
    > "Bruce Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > > Yes, the phishers are at it again and have sent out email purporting
    > > to be from Westpac which invites customers to visit a website which
    > > accepts donations for Australia's paraplegic olympics team.
    > >
    > > The interesting thing about this phish is that the actual bonafide
    > > donation page is displayed -- not a clone, and if anyone enters there
    > > CC details to make a donation, that information *will* be delivered to
    > > the charity concerned.
    > >
    > > However, the original page has been cunningly framed by the phishers
    > > and the other (near invisible) frame in this set attempts to exploit a
    > > vulnerability in unpatched copies of Interent Explorer (of course) to
    > > load a trojan that logs your keystrokes (and goodness knows what
    > > else).
    > >
    > > Please tell all your friends and family. Visiting the phisher's
    > > website using a vulnerable browser, even if they don't actually enter
    > > anything into the form, may mean that their keystrokes are logged from
    > > that point on -- thus exposing credit card numbers and banking logins.

    > Absolute bullshit. How can people be so fucking stupid? And to hell with
    > your frigging site; go advertise the crap elsewhere!

    Piss off back under whatever rock you crawled out from

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Bruce Simpson

    George Guest

    Bruce Simpson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    snip
    > Please tell all your friends and family. Visiting the phisher's
    > website using a vulnerable browser, even if they don't actually enter
    > anything into the form, may mean that their keystrokes are logged from
    > that point on -- thus exposing credit card numbers and banking logins.
    >
    > There's more info on today's Aardvark.

    It -could- be that the bank has annoyed some-one who has decided to
    get back at that particular bank...
    And what better way than this...

    George, Jun 1, 2004
  7. Bruce Simpson

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:36:05 +1200, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Piss off back under whatever rock you crawled out from

    You first.

    Gordon, Jun 2, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > Bruce Simpson <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > snip
    > > Please tell all your friends and family. Visiting the phisher's
    > > website using a vulnerable browser, even if they don't actually enter
    > > anything into the form, may mean that their keystrokes are logged from
    > > that point on -- thus exposing credit card numbers and banking logins.
    > >
    > > There's more info on today's Aardvark.

    > It -could- be that the bank has annoyed some-one who has decided to
    > get back at that particular bank...
    > And what better way than this...

    That's the kind of small mindedness you believe in is it?

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 2, 2004
  9. Bruce Simpson

    spw2000

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Not quite sure what the gripe with the original posting above is - if its "absolute bullshit" tell us why you think/know so.... Lets fight his stuff together.

    There will always be clever hackers and regardless of what techniques they use, we have to be on guard. Good communication is probably one effective way.

    spw2000, Sep 6, 2011