    I hope no-one takes this seriously.

    Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
    articles lost.
    GraB, Nov 3, 2003

  2. GraB

    Coll Guest

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:48:54 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
    >www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
    >to Westpac:
    >
    >"Dear Westpac Bank Member,
    >
    >This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
    >address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
    >below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
    >Customer ID and Password.
    >This is done for your protection --- because some of
    >our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
    >we must verify it. "
    >

    >I hope no-one takes this seriously.
    >
    >Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
    >articles lost.

    Don't worry . A hundred or so posts have already referred to that spam.
    --

    Col

    A: Top-posters.
    Coll, Nov 3, 2003

  3. In <> GraB wrote:
    > Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
    > www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
    > to Westpac:
    >
    > "Dear Westpac Bank Member,
    >
    > This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
    > address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
    > below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
    > Customer ID and Password.
    > This is done for your protection --- because some of
    > our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
    > we must verify it. "
    >

    > I hope no-one takes this seriously.
    >
    > Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
    > articles lost.

    I know. Grrr...

    I got it too. It's a type I've never seen before. The link given in the
    email is <http://www.westpac.com.nz:.
    rU/?nTR5Tov6dJ0Dt3Z> which, once you ignore the crap on the front takes
    you to <http://xwh9fspf3.da.ru>. That page redirects to <http://www.
    /nz/> which is of course really just <http://
    jablow.kir.jp/nz/>. The strange thing is that <http://jablow.kir.jp>
    seems to be a music-related site. I wonder if their site has been
    hijacked?

    There were a couple of give-aways I noticed straight away. The first was
    westpac.COM.nz instead of .co.nz, and the second was the scammer forgot
    to put up a copy of the Westpac icon, so my web browser loaded the one
    from the site root, which was the icon for the music site.

    PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz
    Roger Johnstone, Nov 3, 2003
  4. GraB

    Nick Smith Guest

    Re: "Westpac" scam Great hope it catches all..

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:48:54 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
    >www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
    >to Westpac:
    >
    >"Dear Westpac Bank Member,
    >
    >This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
    >address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
    >below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
    >Customer ID and Password.
    >This is done for your protection --- because some of
    >our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
    >we must verify it. "
    >

    >I hope no-one takes this seriously.
    >
    >Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
    >articles lost.

    100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
    use the Internet..
    Nick Smith, Nov 3, 2003
  5. GraB

    Invisible Guest

    Re: "Westpac" scam Great hope it catches all..

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:28:33 +1300, Dick Woger Smith
    <> wrote:

    >100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
    >use the Internet..

    The biggest idiot of all hath spoken....
    Invisible, Nov 3, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
    > www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
    > to Westpac:
    >
    > "Dear Westpac Bank Member,
    >
    > This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
    > address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
    > below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
    > Customer ID and Password.
    > This is done for your protection --- because some of
    > our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
    > we must verify it. "
    >

    > I hope no-one takes this seriously.

    As bad as the ebay spoof I received the other day, wanting me to
    'reconfirm my address and credit card details'.
    I scratched my head and thought 'but I've never given them those in the
    first place!' - then I woke up to what was going on. Very clevery spoofed
    http link, too.

    They even had the gall to send me another, a few days later, claiming my
    trading priviledges had been curtailed because I didn't reply!

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 3, 2003
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    >As bad as the ebay spoof I received the other day, wanting me to
    >'reconfirm my address and credit card details'.
    >I scratched my head and thought 'but I've never given them those in the
    >first place!' - then I woke up to what was going on. Very clevery spoofed
    >http link, too.
    >
    >They even had the gall to send me another, a few days later, claiming my
    >trading priviledges had been curtailed because I didn't reply!

    Yes, I had one a few weeks ago telling me that nearly $300 had been
    deducted from my "money-laundering account"!
    GraB, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Re: "Westpac" scam Great hope it catches all..

    On 03 Nov 2003 , Invisible wrote :

    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:28:33 +1300, Dick Woger Smith
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach
    >>idiots to use the Internet..

    > The biggest idiot of all hath spoken....

    Can't expect much else from one with his level of unintelligence.

    --
    Nicolaas.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 3, 2003
  9. GraB

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nick Smith wrote:
    > 100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
    > use the Internet..

    I tend to agree with you, it seems that the only way people learn, is to
    get taken for the gullible idiots that they are.
    T.N.O., Nov 3, 2003
  10. GraB

    Jerry Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:56:47 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Nick Smith wrote:
    >> 100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
    >> use the Internet..

    >I tend to agree with you, it seems that the only way people learn, is to
    >get taken for the gullible idiots that they are.

    You might be right. According to the Norton site, the current #1
    virus is w32.mimail.a@mm, which requires people to open an attachment

    From: james@<current domain> (The from address may be spoofed to
    appear that it is coming from the current domain)

    Subject: Re[2]: our private photos [random sequence of letters]

    Message:
    Hello Dear!,

    Finally i've found possibility to right u, my lovely girl :)
    All our photos which i've made at the beach (even when u're without ur
    bh:))
    photos are great! This evening i'll come and we'll make the best SEX
    :)
    Right now enjoy the photos.

    Kiss, James.
    [random sequence of letters]

    Note: Photos.zip contains only one file, photos.jpg.exe.

    If someone is dumb enough to open an attachment to that, especially
    after all the publicity about viruses, the deserve whatever they get

    Jerry
    Jerry, Nov 3, 2003
  11. GraB

    T.N.O. Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    >>>100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
    >>>use the Internet..

    >>I tend to agree with you, it seems that the only way people learn, is to
    >>get taken for the gullible idiots that they are.

    > You might be right. According to the Norton site, the current #1
    > virus is w32.mimail.a@mm, which requires people to open an attachment

    Whats the bet that they were opened by males? :)
    T.N.O., Nov 3, 2003
  12. GraB

    jfwilson Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > Can't expect much else from one with his level of unintelligence.
    >

    > --
    > Nicolaas.

    With no reference whatever to Roger.
    Intelligence, unlike education, is a physical quality and lack
    of it a handicap; not to be criticized. I write from experience. :)
    jfwilson, Nov 3, 2003
  13. GraB

    jfwilson Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > Nick Smith wrote:
    > > 100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach

    idiots to
    > > use the Internet..

    > I tend to agree with you, it seems that the only way people learn, is to
    > get taken for the gullible idiots that they are.

    I don't agree with him but Kipling wrote "take his money, my son,
    praising Allah, the fool was ordained to be sold"
    jfwilson, Nov 3, 2003
  14. Re: "Westpac" scam Great hope it catches all..

    On 04 Nov 2003 , jfwilson wrote :

    > With no reference whatever to Roger.
    > Intelligence, unlike education, is a physical quality and lack
    > of it a handicap; not to be criticized. I write from experience. :)

    I choose my words with care, Mr Wilson. I do not write one thing yet mean
    another.

    I suggest, however, that lack of intelligence can be feigned - as can other
    handicaps (to use a politically incorrect term) - in which case it most
    certainly IS to be criticised.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - Bugger political correctness, just tell it like it really is.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 4, 2003
  15. GraB

    Natalie Guest

    I actually remember getting a similar email to the westpac one saying that I
    needed to update my contact details for my Citibank account too. (I was also
    one of many recipients of the Westpac one too). Did anyone get the citibank
    one as well?

    Nat
    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > >As bad as the ebay spoof I received the other day, wanting me to
    > >'reconfirm my address and credit card details'.
    > >I scratched my head and thought 'but I've never given them those in the
    > >first place!' - then I woke up to what was going on. Very clevery spoofed
    > >http link, too.
    > >
    > >They even had the gall to send me another, a few days later, claiming my
    > >trading priviledges had been curtailed because I didn't reply!
    > >

    > Yes, I had one a few weeks ago telling me that nearly $300 had been
    > deducted from my "money-laundering account"!

    ---
    Natalie, Nov 4, 2003
  16. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:02:53 +1300, "Natalie" <> wrote:

    >I actually remember getting a similar email to the westpac one saying that I
    >needed to update my contact details for my Citibank account too. (I was also
    >one of many recipients of the Westpac one too). Did anyone get the citibank
    >one as well?

    Didn't hear of that one.
    GraB, Nov 4, 2003
  17. GraB

    Andrew Guest

    I got an email today from ASB bank mentioning the westpac scam and
    reassuring customers that asb will never ask for your passwords via internet
    or phone

    Andrew, Nov 4, 2003
  18. GraB

    Brian Harmer Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:06:07 +1300, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >I got an email today from ASB bank mentioning the westpac scam and
    >reassuring customers that asb will never ask for your passwords via internet
    >or phone

    I am not sure that is especially virtuous. As far as I know, NO bank
    does that. It's a bit like getting an assurance from your bank manager
    that he never pushes little old ladies in wheelchairs over a cliff.
    Brian Harmer, Nov 4, 2003
  19. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:06:07 +1300, "Andrew" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I got an email today from ASB bank mentioning the westpac scam and
    > >reassuring customers that asb will never ask for your passwords via internet
    > >or phone

    > I am not sure that is especially virtuous. As far as I know, NO bank
    > does that. It's a bit like getting an assurance from your bank manager
    > that he never pushes little old ladies in wheelchairs over a cliff.

    No, it's not virtuous. What it is, is, they are re-stating security
    policy - you *are* told initially never to give your login and password
    or pin even to an employee of the bank but many people who don't already
    understand that, probably never take note of it when they get their new
    [plastic][internet banking].

    So they are taking the opportunity to re-educate people about it. Good on
    them :)

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 4, 2003
  20. GraB

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > I got an email today from ASB bank mentioning the westpac scam and
    > reassuring customers that asb will never ask for your passwords via

    internet
    > or phone

    So what?
    That's like suggesting that Westpac does such a thing at times, which it
    doesn't.
    Sounds like some dirty play going on.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 4, 2003