Western Digital WD2500KS Hard Drive - SMART/Overheating problem??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Chris, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi all,

    I thought I'd try Google groups about this problem I'm having with some
    new drives I purchased. They are 250GB Western Digital WD2500KS SATA II
    drives.

    Basically, they appear to over heat and fail. SMART on Everest detects
    that they are about 20deg C over temperature they should be and even
    once Windows 2003 shut them down to prevent data loss!

    Has anyone had this problem with their drive? Western Digital have
    confirmed this as a firmware bug, but it seems a bit more serious than
    that as I've had four drives which have all done the same thing!

    Any notes on this would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers
    Chris

    Chris, Apr 15, 2006

  2. Chris

    -nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about 15 Apr 2006 10:01:06 -0700, in
    alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Chris"
    <> spewed the following:

    |Hi all,
    |
    |I thought I'd try Google groups about this problem I'm having with some
    |new drives I purchased. They are 250GB Western Digital WD2500KS SATA II
    |drives.
    |
    |Basically, they appear to over heat and fail. SMART on Everest detects
    |that they are about 20deg C over temperature they should be and even
    |once Windows 2003 shut them down to prevent data loss!
    |
    |Has anyone had this problem with their drive? Western Digital have
    |confirmed this as a firmware bug, but it seems a bit more serious than
    |that as I've had four drives which have all done the same thing!
    |
    |Any notes on this would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a faulty sensor in these drives, other than that, they are a
    great drive. If the drives are failing due to heat, you may want to
    consider mounting a fan in the front of your case that blows air over
    the hard drive.
    --
    -nos1eep

    -nos1eep, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Chris

    Willah Guest

    Open up your case, are they hot or very warm to the touch?

    If so, you know it's not a faulty sensor or firmware.

    With new drives, always leave one drive space (about 1.5") between the
    drives so that air can flow between them, and it's always good to have
    a case with a front mounted intake that blows over the HDDs.

    Willah, Apr 16, 2006