    Laptop.

    Thanks Neil

    , May 17, 2005

  2. Ghostrider Guest

    wrote:
    > 5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
    > try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
    > Laptop.
    >
    > Thanks Neil

    When plugged into the computer, is the WD USB drive seen
    in Disk Management? What about by another computer?

    Ghostrider, May 17, 2005

  3. old jon Guest

    What Gr says applies. If you can try the unit in another computer, you prove
    whether its a laptop software problem or the USB unit. (we assume the power
    is OK on the USB ?. So like Gr says, check in Admin Tools\Disk management to
    see whether it shows up. The secret to success is to try to narrow down the
    fault. best wishes..J

    old jon, May 17, 2005
  4. Guest

    old jon wrote:
    > What Gr says applies. If you can try the unit in another computer,

    you prove
    > whether its a laptop software problem or the USB unit. (we assume the

    power
    > is OK on the USB ?. So like Gr says, check in Admin Tools\Disk

    management to
    > see whether it shows up. The secret to success is to try to narrow

    down the
    > fault. best wishes..J
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > >5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
    > > try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
    > > Laptop.
    > >
    > > Thanks Neil

    Thanks for the replies. Drive does not show up in Disk Management. Also
    tried it connected to my other laptop but no success. The power and
    data leds are on constantly but no access.

    , May 18, 2005
  5. old jon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
    > try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
    > Laptop.
    >
    > Thanks Neil

    Hi Neil. next step. Download hard drive test tools from WD. Make floppy
    disk, or CD if it is an option. You`ve then got to get the drive out of it`s
    USB and install into a PC, Install in place of existing HD and run the tests
    on it. I offer this as a suggestion only, `cos I don`t think the tools will
    even find the USB unit. I hope someone knows better `cos that`s the best I
    can offer. My best wishes..J

    old jon, May 18, 2005