    as it crashes the system. Any ideas how I can get it back to a 1200 so
    I can get the data off it?

    tia
    Lookout, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Lookout

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Windows XP P3 450 256ram
    |
    | I know I could call WD but...I was wondering if you gyys knew the
    | answer before I go to the problem as it is over a year old. My WD 1200
    | (120gig) HD now shows up as a 1600. It won't boot nor can I slave it
    | as it crashes the system. Any ideas how I can get it back to a 1200 so
    | I can get the data off it?

    Have you downloaded WDs Data Lifeguard Tools? Good place to start...run
    their diagnostics:
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp
    Toolman Tim, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Lookout wrote:
    > Windows XP P3 450 256ram
    >
    > I know I could call WD but...I was wondering if you gyys knew the
    > answer before I go to the problem as it is over a year old. My WD 1200
    > (120gig) HD now shows up as a 1600. It won't boot nor can I slave it
    > as it crashes the system. Any ideas how I can get it back to a 1200 so
    > I can get the data off it?

    Have you tried it on a different computer yet?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 6, 2005
  4. Lookout

    7 Guest

    Lookout wrote:

    > Windows XP P3 450 256ram
    >
    > I know I could call WD but...I was wondering if you gyys knew the
    > answer before I go to the problem as it is over a year old. My WD 1200
    > (120gig) HD now shows up as a 1600. It won't boot nor can I slave it
    > as it crashes the system. Any ideas how I can get it back to a 1200 so
    > I can get the data off it?
    >
    > tia

    You can try liveCDs like Knoppix and Mepis that will boot off
    the CD and read the drives bypassing the drive geometry settings in BIOS
    and use the CHS inside the drive.
    7, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:24:43 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Lookout" <> wrote in message
    >| Windows XP P3 450 256ram
    >|
    >| I know I could call WD but...I was wondering if you gyys knew the
    >| answer before I go to the problem as it is over a year old. My WD 1200
    >| (120gig) HD now shows up as a 1600. It won't boot nor can I slave it
    >| as it crashes the system. Any ideas how I can get it back to a 1200 so
    >| I can get the data off it?
    >|
    >Have you downloaded WDs Data Lifeguard Tools? Good place to start...run
    >their diagnostics:
    >http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

    As I said it won't boot or show up as a slave. No way to get to the
    diagnostics.
    Lookout, Feb 6, 2005
  6. Lookout

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:24:43 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |

    | >"Lookout" <> wrote in message
    | >| Windows XP P3 450 256ram
    | >|
    | >| I know I could call WD but...I was wondering if you gyys knew the
    | >| answer before I go to the problem as it is over a year old. My WD 1200
    | >| (120gig) HD now shows up as a 1600. It won't boot nor can I slave it
    | >| as it crashes the system. Any ideas how I can get it back to a 1200 so
    | >| I can get the data off it?
    | >|
    | >Have you downloaded WDs Data Lifeguard Tools? Good place to start...run
    | >their diagnostics:
    | >http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp
    | >

    | As I said it won't boot or show up as a slave. No way to get to the
    | diagnostics.

    1) use the computer you are posting to this newsgroup
    2) go to the download site I provided
    3) download the software
    4) create the bootup disk(s) that the software makes
    5) take the disk(s) to the bad computer...plug it in, turn it on.
    Toolman Tim, Feb 6, 2005
  7. Lookout

    Steven Guest

    i have the same problem , a WD 120gb less than one year old and it died , it
    would work for about 20 mins giveing time to attempt copy data , ususally if
    your trying to access a drive of this fault in xp it freaks out and wont
    display it in my computer and any scandisk attempt will just close without
    explanation so you might want to try access it with win98.

    no idea why it died on me so early , maybe it was a over heating problem
    thats the only reasion i can think of

    steve
    ps. sorry im not to clear on recovery but its 3am and i can stay awake and
    stuff heh ;)

    Steven, Feb 7, 2005
  8. Lookout

    Adi Guest

    I change 2 WD in half year. Both go there is no return. After second WD
    drive (it was in garanty) I demand
    Maxtor and that works very good over 2 years.
    For me Westerndigital hard discs (Made in China) are very bad.

    "Steven" <> je napisal v sporoèilo
    news:cu6mle$j2c$ ...

    Adi, Feb 7, 2005
  9. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    Now it spins up and stops. I guess it's time for a Data Recovery
    company.

    Lookout, Feb 9, 2005
  10. Lookout

    Toolman Tim Guest