    that is required is C:\Windows\profiles\Rosco

    Is there a way I can fix this at home, or should I refer to a data recovery
    center?

    Rosco, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Rosco

    roach Guest

    it sounds like there's something wrong with your system
    ive used wd drives for years and hardly had a problem with them
    apart from bios recognition
    have you ever run scandisk using the full surface scan option?
    this would have found the bad sectors on the drives
    and marked them unusable, reformatting does not get rid of bad sectors
    there are loads of data recovery programs available
    east recovery pro,get data back e.t.c
    how do you know c:\windows has gone?
    boot up with a 98 boot disc and navigate the disc manually
    it may still be there
    it sounds to me like you have had frequent system crashes and this could
    have
    damaged the drive.
    have you checked for virus/trojans/worms?

    its time to upgrade your old dino and get xp installed

    roach

    roach, Oct 22, 2003

  3. On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:36:32 -0500, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

    <slash spurious stuff> .......However the 40gig has a
    > big problem The Windows directory is gone there is no C:\Windows, and I
    > didnt delete it. It would be nice to get the entire directory back but all
    > that is required is C:\Windows\profiles\Rosco
    >
    > Is there a way I can fix this at home, or should I refer to a data recovery
    > center?

    http://tinyurl.com/rv8e
    Google groups advanced search, 24hoursupport.helpdesk: data recovery, 395
    articles in the last 12 months. Hint. Hint.
    Next time replace a dodgy drive before it goes belly up.
    B.
    B. Al. Zeebub, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Rosco

    SgtMinor Guest

    If the 40Gig drive has a messed up boot record, you may be able to
    restore it with active@. You can download a free demo that will show
    you what the program can recover. If you like what you see, pony up the
    $30 for the full program:
    http://www.partition-recovery.com/partition.htm

    If it's a problem with 'bad sectors' I'd try SpinRite from
    http://www.grc.com. It's not inexpensive but it can bring a dead drive
    with bad sectors back to life.

    Good luck

    SgtMinor, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    Yes, I have run several full scans and everytime it came back with more
    and more bad sectors. However power in this area sucks so there are alot
    of brownouts. Before I did not have a UPS so I am pretty sure that is
    what fried the hard drives. I already have got a new hard drive. I just
    got a WD 80gig so that I have enough room to restore all of my files. I
    know that the C:\WIndows directory is gone because I have manually
    browsed the drive on that pc, in dos, and on an external drive bay.

    Rosco, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    I have XP Home on my laptop, eventually I will upgrade this one and
    switch them out

    Rosco, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Rosco

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 11:26:01 -0500, Rosco <> wrote:

    >Yes, I have run several full scans and everytime it came back with more
    >and more bad sectors. However power in this area sucks so there are alot
    >of brownouts.

    You say there are very few brownouts, or did you mean a lot?

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Oct 24, 2003