    there any way to know whether WEP security is adequate to
    prevent a hacker from reading and changing NTFS files?

    --David

    J David Ellis, Jan 20, 2006

  2. J David Ellis

    Lem Guest

    J David Ellis wrote:

    > A wireless network in a recreational vehicle requires two
    > print servers. I'm having trouble finding one that has both
    > a parallel port and WPA security. Recognizing any node that
    > lacks WPA will degrade the entire network to a lower
    > security, can I abandon the quest for WPA?
    >
    > The XP SP2 computers have user profiles and passwords. I
    > prefer to not use NTFS security at the folder or file level.
    >
    > The network will operate in various North American
    > campgrounds, rarely near a big city. In this setting is
    > there any way to know whether WEP security is adequate to
    > prevent a hacker from reading and changing NTFS files?
    >
    > --David

    See my response to your other thread -- D-Link DP-G301.

    Lem, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Lem wrote:
    > J David Ellis wrote:
    >

    >>A wireless network in a recreational vehicle requires two
    >>print servers. I'm having trouble finding one that has both
    >>a parallel port and WPA security. Recognizing any node that
    >>lacks WPA will degrade the entire network to a lower
    >>security, can I abandon the quest for WPA?
    >>
    >>The XP SP2 computers have user profiles and passwords. I
    >>prefer to not use NTFS security at the folder or file level.
    >>
    >>The network will operate in various North American
    >>campgrounds, rarely near a big city. In this setting is
    >>there any way to know whether WEP security is adequate to
    >>prevent a hacker from reading and changing NTFS files?
    >>
    >>--David

    > See my response to your other thread -- D-Link DP-G301.

    Can I conclude from your post in the other thread that using
    WPA instead of WEP is important and that I should not settle
    for WEP?

    J David Ellis, Jan 20, 2006
  4. J David Ellis

    Lem Guest

    J David Ellis wrote:

    > Lem wrote:
    > > J David Ellis wrote:
    > >

    > >>A wireless network in a recreational vehicle requires two
    > >>print servers. I'm having trouble finding one that has both
    > >>a parallel port and WPA security. Recognizing any node that
    > >>lacks WPA will degrade the entire network to a lower
    > >>security, can I abandon the quest for WPA?
    > >>
    > >>The XP SP2 computers have user profiles and passwords. I
    > >>prefer to not use NTFS security at the folder or file level.
    > >>
    > >>The network will operate in various North American
    > >>campgrounds, rarely near a big city. In this setting is
    > >>there any way to know whether WEP security is adequate to
    > >>prevent a hacker from reading and changing NTFS files?
    > >>
    > >>--David

    > > See my response to your other thread -- D-Link DP-G301.
    > >

    > Can I conclude from your post in the other thread that using
    > WPA instead of WEP is important and that I should not settle
    > for WEP?

    the generally-accepted wisdom is that WEP is relatively easy to crack.
    See, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/bykx8 I'm not convinced that a rural
    setting is less likely to be inhabited by computerized evildoers than an
    urban setting, but if you take other precautions, such as a good
    firewall and use of NTFS permissions, you should probably be OK with
    WEP. Use 128-bit WEP, a "good" password/passphrase (e.g., not your
    name, ssid, or English word) to generate the WEP key (if you have to
    manually enter the key--which you probably will if you mix
    vendors--don't use patterns in the sequence), and change your key
    regularly and often.

    Lem, Jan 20, 2006
  5. Lem wrote:
    > J David Ellis wrote:

    >>>See my response to your other thread -- D-Link DP-G301.
    >>>

    >>Can I conclude from your post in the other thread that using
    >>WPA instead of WEP is important and that I should not settle
    >>for WEP?

    > the generally-accepted wisdom is that WEP is relatively easy to crack.
    > See, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/bykx8 I'm not convinced that a rural
    > setting is less likely to be inhabited by computerized evildoers than an
    > urban setting, but if you take other precautions, such as a good
    > firewall and use of NTFS permissions, you should probably be OK with
    > WEP. Use 128-bit WEP, a "good" password/passphrase (e.g., not your
    > name, ssid, or English word) to generate the WEP key (if you have to
    > manually enter the key--which you probably will if you mix
    > vendors--don't use patterns in the sequence), and change your key
    > regularly and often.

    Thank you very much for the tutorial. The route to a secure
    wireless network is now clear -- until I begin installing
    it. :=)

    J David Ellis, Jan 20, 2006