wep problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by chris 159, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. chris 159

    chris 159 Guest

    Hi folks, i really do hope somebody here can shed some light on this.

    ok - i have problems with two totally different systems in different
    locations but the problems are the same.

    system 1 - xp pro pc with wireless adsl router connected by ethernet.
    xp pro pc 20 feet away connected via wireless. all works perfectly well
    'without' WEP or WPA enabled. as soon as i try enabling any sort of
    security on the wireless it refuses to connect to the network.

    system 2 - xp home dell lappy connected to wireless adsl router via
    wireless 'with' WEP enabled. works perfect. xp pro pc 20 feet away
    refuses to connect to network with WEP enabled. if i disable WEP on the
    router it all works perfect.

    before routers were bought (both different makes) both systems was
    connected to coresponding computers through wireless cards/dongles
    'with' WEP enabled no problems.

    that suggests that maybe the routers are the problem, but - how can the
    router be the problem because system 2 connects ok to the dell lappy
    with WEP

    its kinda doing my head in and no matter where i look i've not been
    able to find any answers on the net.

    please help me somebody

    TIA

    Chris

    --
    portraits to order.

    www.sue-young-art.co.uk

    chris 159, Mar 29, 2006

  2. Not a lot of information here, but try:

    1. Set the computer connection to infrastructure mode.

    2. If you are using a password to generate the WEP key, try directly
    entering the numbers for Key#1 on the computer connection instead of using
    the password.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Mar 29, 2006