    are but I am asking about WEP.

    Thanks
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Jim

    mikeFNB Guest

    it matters really nowt,
    WEP 'can' be brocken, but it is a lot more difficult and probably worthless
    for someone to do it on a personnal account, little info to gain or gather.

    if you are asking about this from a security side, in the matter of
    preventing say connections etc because you systems details etc can be
    'overheard', why not just set the router to only listed mac's.

    mike

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > Which is more secure when using WEP, Open or Shared Key?
    > I don't want to get into the whole WPA and WPA-PSK is better, I know they
    > are but I am asking about WEP.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim

    ---

    mikeFNB, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Jim

    Niklas Guest

    from a cisco page...

    open is recommended

    Shared key
    "This setting tells the Access Point to send a plain-text, Shared Key query
    to any device attempting to associate with the Access Point. This query can
    leave the Access Point open to a known-text attack from intruders.
    Therefore, it is not as secure as the Open setting."

    regards
    Niklas

    Niklas, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks for the very helpful advise. I am now running WEP open

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Jim

    ufdragon

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    If AP set to be OPEN+WEP,the STA which use SHARE+WEP can access it?

    If AP set to be OPEN+WEP,the STA which use SHARE+WEP can access it?

    ufdragon, Mar 30, 2012