    up any of her settings for when she gets back home on her own network?
    Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

    Bob

    Bob Moyer, Apr 3, 2007

  2. Bob Moyer

    Bob Lucas Guest

    "Bob Moyer" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up,
    >I used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My
    >daughter is visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in
    >this network, but I can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I
    >wrote it down but it is lost now. What can I do so that she can use
    >this while she is here and not mess up any of her settings for when she
    >gets back home on her own network? Please help, I would greatly
    >appreciate it. Thank you.
    >
    > Bob

    I assume all of the computers are running Windows XP?

    To establish a working network, each computer must have a unique name -
    and must be part of the same workgroup. To check the computer names and
    workgroup names, right click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop of
    each computer. Select "Properties". Then click on the Computer Name
    tab.

    Make sure both of your computers are in the same workgroup. This is
    important for file or printer sharing. You can use any name for the
    workgroup - a typical default workgroup is MSHOME. Then, provided the
    computer names are unique, you won't not need to change anything else.
    Otherwise, make any changes that may be necessary.

    If you don't know your existing WEP key, it may be easier to choose
    select new keys for your home (2 computer) network. Refer to your
    router manual for instructions. Make a careful note of the new WEP key.
    Having changed the WEP key on the router, you will also need to change
    it on both of your own computers.

    When your daughter arrives, make sure her laptop has a unique computer
    name - and is using the same workgroup name as your network. Then, if
    she has not done so previously, she should run the networking wizard on
    her laptop (which may be unnecessary, if she already connects to a
    network at her home)..

    When she enables the wireless signal on her laptop, her computer should
    search for available networks. If it doesn't search, she can open
    Control Panel and then, click on Network connections. Select "Wireless
    Network Connection", followed by "View Wireless Networks".

    When her laptop finds your network, it will ask her to input your WEP
    encryption key (which you have written down). When she inputs the WEP
    key, her computer will remember the details for future connections. She
    should have access to your network and be able to use your internet
    connection. If required, she can also install details of your network
    printer or printers on her laptop.

    When she returns home, your daughter may need to revert to her original
    workgroup name. Details of her own network will still be on her laptop,
    so she should not experience any problems connecting to her own network.

    Bob Lucas, Apr 3, 2007

  3. Hi
    Log with your regular computer to the Router Wireless Menus.
    Make a New WEP key, and copy it to all Wireless computers.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 3, 2007
  4. Bob Moyer

    Bob Moyer Guest

    Thank you both (Bob Lucas & Jack). As I mentioned before, due to my own
    carelessness/stupidity, I have either lost or thrown out my copy of the WEP
    key that I so carefully wrote down. Jack mentioned "Log with your regular
    computer to the Router Wireless Menus." I have FIOS that was installed by
    Verizon by their techs. I have no idea how I would 'log on to the Router
    Wireless Menus' so that I could make a new WEP key. And we have XP installed
    on all three computers in question.

    Bob

    Bob Moyer, Apr 4, 2007
  5. Hi
    If the Wireless was provided by Verizon you probably have a Manual, or you
    can find info on Verizom support site.
    Usually it is done by typing the IP number of the Wireless Router (Access
    Point) to the Internet Browser Addreess box.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 4, 2007
  6. Bob Moyer

    BruceM Guest

    If it's only for 4 days or so, grab a cat5 cable & just plug that in for
    her. Much easier?
    Any spare ports on the router?

    BruceM, Apr 4, 2007
  7. Bob Moyer

    Bob Moyer Guest

    Managed to find the online manual at Verizon. Found that the WEP key is
    printed on the bottom of the router. I was going to log on as suggested and
    change everything but I found out that the 'installer' must have changed the
    default "username" and "password". I gather from reading the online help
    from Verizon, that my only choice is to reset the router to the factory
    defaults. But I could not find out for sure what exactly would be reset. If
    it is just the username and password, then I can handle that. If it somehow
    resets a whole bunch of settings then I am up the creek as I am just an
    'end-user' and not very tech minded. Thanks again for your suggestions at
    least you got me on the right path.

    Bob

    Bob Moyer, Apr 4, 2007
  8. Hi
    Yeah, be careful, reset would reset every thing to factory default.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 4, 2007
  9. Bob Moyer

    Ben Chia Guest

    Network Key Encryption

    Hi,

    The network encryption is accessible by going into your Router database using router IP address on Explorer. Your Router IP is given to you on your Router manual. Click submit without any password and change your network key.
    Simple.

    Ben

    Ben Chia, Aug 13, 2008