WEP and WAP on same network?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Clark, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. Clark

    Clark Guest

    I was reading a Microsoft bulletin last night and saw something about some
    Wireless Access Points could handle both WEP and WAP devices on the same
    network (see below).

    I have a WEP only Wireless Print Server that I would like to run on my WAP
    network. I am using a Linksys WRT54G which does not appear to support both
    at the same time. Anyone know anything about dual support for Wireless
    security protocols?

    Thanks,
    Clark

    Below was copied from this site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485

    Supporting a mixture of WPA and WEP wireless clients
    To support the gradual transition of WEP-based wireless networks to WPA, a
    wireless AP can support both WEP and WPA clients at the same time. During
    the association, the wireless AP determines which clients use WEP and which
    clients use WPA. The support of a mixture of WEP and WPA clients is
    problematic. The global encryption key is not dynamic because WEP-based
    clients cannot support it. All other benefits to the WPA clients are
    maintained, including integrity.

    Clark, Jul 19, 2005

  2. there aren't any consumer/residential products that I am aware of that
    support both WEP and WPA simultaneously. In fact, your network is only
    as secure as your weakest link which would be WEP. Which is too easily
    broken.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP