!Wellington Paradise cable users: Informal survey...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Sep 24, 2007.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    The background:

    I have just discovered (in the last week) that the broadband cable plan I am
    getting with Telstraclear/Paradise is not what I am paying for.
    It all started about 2 weeks ago when I noticed that the cable modem
    supplied by Telstra Clear (a Motorola SB5101) was taking a LONG time to come
    on line after it was turned on. The online light just flashed for up to 45
    mins before coming online.

    I also try to run speed tests using http://www.speedtest.net/index.php a few
    times a week just to see how fast my connection is working.
    The above website speed test keeps a history of your previous tests
    (currently I have over 2 months worth of speed tests available)

    On reviewing my history, and reading the discussions at
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=44&TopicId=15479 for Wellington
    Telstraclear/Paradise cable service, I find that I'm not getting anything
    like the 10Mb/2Mb service I'm paying for.

    My average download speed is just 1 - 3Mbits p/sec, my upload speed is
    1 -2Mbits p/sec.
    My best download speed in the last 2 months has been 4.85Mbits p/sec, the
    worst has been 200 - 300 Kbits p/sec (on Saturday after the tech had left).
    At least half the time my upload speed is faster than my download speed...

    However at the Geekzone website some users are saying they average 11 - 13
    Mbits p/sec on the 10Mb/2Mb plan in Wellington. I have also been told by a
    Telstra Clear tech (on the help desk) that I should also be getting at least
    10 Mbits p/sec download speeds when running a test at the Speed test
    website.

    I called The Telstra help desk number last Wednesday (after giving waiting
    for 30+mins On Tuesday) and logged a fault, and a complaint with the help
    desk about having to wait 45 minutes for them to answer.

    An appointment was made for the technician to come to my place on Saturday
    and fix the problem. He checked my connection adjusted some voltage levels,
    but then discovered that the cable from the street terminal probably should
    be replaced, and that there is some sort of network problem with street
    terminal where it has very low voltages as well.

    Telstraclear have arranged to have the cable replaced tomorrow, and their
    network services to fix the network problem with my service.
    They also say they will not charge me for one months Internet connection as
    'compensation' for this fault.
    I'm happy to accept that, but I think I may never have had a fully working
    connection from January when I signed up for the 10Mb/2Mb plan. If that is
    so I'll want more than just one months free internet....

    **************************
    The informal survey:
    Can any Telstra Clear/Paradise users in Wellington (particularly the central
    city area) try running the speed test at http://www.speedtest.net/index.php
    and post the results here?

    *************************

    PS: with regards to the monthly News Server 'outages' I sent a email to the
    Paradise help desk along with the comments from the March Computerworld
    article, and also CC'd it to the Computerworld editor, with comments about
    how this outage happens every month, despite what they were told for the
    March article.

    I am also writing a formal letter of complaint to Telstra about the fault
    with my connection, the problems with the helpdesk (having to wait 30 -60
    minutes to have someone answer your call) the 'run around' I have got from
    some help desk staff, and about the monthly Usenet outage....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Max Burke

    David Empson Guest

    Max Burke <> wrote:

    > The informal survey:
    > Can any Telstra Clear/Paradise users in Wellington (particularly the central
    > city area) try running the speed test at http://www.speedtest.net/index.php
    > and post the results here?

    Going to which node? That makes a huge difference.

    I'm in Karori, with a 10M/2M plan. If I try a speed test to the
    Wellington node (hosted by CityLink), I get lousy speeds: about 496 kbps
    down, 816 kpbs up. A second test produced a slightly better download
    speed (680 kbps down). Ping time is 184 ms.

    Other nodes are much better:

    Napier: 7.4 down, 1.7 up, 26 ms ping
    Auckland: 4.3 down, 1.8 up, 42 ms ping
    Sydney: 3.9 down, 1.8 up, 53 ms ping
    Los Angeles: 1.0 down, 0.8 upm 149 ms ping

    (All of the above around 10:50 pm on a Monday night, which should still
    be reasonably busy with home users doing lots of downloads.)

    It looks like TelstraClear doesn't peer with WIX (Wellington Internet
    Exchange) and there is no direct connection to the CityLink test node.
    This means that the speedtest is probably being routed via an
    international link, and may be travelling to the US and back again just
    to get to downtown Wellington.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Sep 24, 2007

  3. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > In news: David Empson Scribbled:
    > Max Burke <> wrote:

    >> The informal survey:
    >> Can any Telstra Clear/Paradise users in Wellington (particularly the
    >> central city area) try running the speed test at
    >> http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and post the results here?

    > Going to which node? That makes a huge difference.

    To the Auckland (IHug) server.
    There is an option to set your preferred server....

    > I'm in Karori, with a 10M/2M plan. If I try a speed test to the
    > Wellington node (hosted by CityLink), I get lousy speeds: about 496
    > kbps down, 816 kpbs up. A second test produced a slightly better
    > download speed (680 kbps down). Ping time is 184 ms.

    This is talked about in the Geekzone link. Traceroutes shows the Wellington
    server links via an overseas route.

    > Other nodes are much better:
    > Napier: 7.4 down, 1.7 up, 26 ms ping
    > Auckland: 4.3 down, 1.8 up, 42 ms ping
    > Sydney: 3.9 down, 1.8 up, 53 ms ping
    > Los Angeles: 1.0 down, 0.8 upm 149 ms ping
    > (All of the above around 10:50 pm on a Monday night, which should
    > still be reasonably busy with home users doing lots of downloads.)

    Try it during 'off peak...' According to the discussion of Geekzone (and a
    Telstra Clear tech) you/I should be getting a lot better download rates than
    these of the 10Mbits plan.

    > It looks like TelstraClear doesn't peer with WIX (Wellington Internet
    > Exchange) and there is no direct connection to the CityLink test node.
    > This means that the speedtest is probably being routed via an
    > international link, and may be travelling to the US and back again
    > just to get to downtown Wellington.

    Thanks for the figures...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Sep 24, 2007
  4. Max Burke

    Greg House Guest

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:11:16 +1200, "Max Burke" <> wrote:

    >The background:
    >
    >I have just discovered (in the last week) that the broadband cable plan I am
    >getting with Telstraclear/Paradise is not what I am paying for.
    >It all started about 2 weeks ago when I noticed that the cable modem
    >supplied by Telstra Clear (a Motorola SB5101) was taking a LONG time to come
    >on line after it was turned on. The online light just flashed for up to 45
    >mins before coming online.
    >
    >I also try to run speed tests using http://www.speedtest.net/index.php a few
    >times a week just to see how fast my connection is working.
    >The above website speed test keeps a history of your previous tests
    >(currently I have over 2 months worth of speed tests available)

    Speed tests are not much help if you RWIN setting is wrong.

    Use this site to get far better info and the recommended setting for RWIN

    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    Greg House, Sep 25, 2007
  5. Max Burke

    Rob S Guest

    On a 4Mb/2Mb plan, testing on the Auckland node I get 4569 download 1906
    upload.
    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    A core dump is your computer's way of saying "Here's what's on my mind,
    what's on yours?"
    Rob S, Sep 25, 2007
  6. Max Burke

    Keith Guest

    In article <46f7a112$>, says...
    > > In news: David Empson Scribbled:
    > > Max Burke <> wrote:

    > >> The informal survey:
    > >> Can any Telstra Clear/Paradise users in Wellington (particularly the
    > >> central city area) try running the speed test at
    > >> http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and post the results here?

    > > Going to which node? That makes a huge difference.

    > To the Auckland (IHug) server.
    > There is an option to set your preferred server....

    From Ngaio to Aukland on a 1 Gig cap plan I get
    2085 down; 1868 up at 2052 Tuesday night.

    From Ngaio to Wellington; 887 down; 705 up, about the same responnse as
    London!

    I've been getting connection problems too. Fire up PC and once firewall;
    AV etc is booted up, open email client and request download. Get an
    error "POP unavailable"; open browser get home page swap pack to email
    client and it then works.
    Keith, Sep 25, 2007
  7. Max Burke wrote:
> [...]
    > The informal survey:
    > Can any Telstra Clear/Paradise users in Wellington (particularly the
    > central city area) try running the speed test at
    > http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and post the results here?
    >
    > *************************
    >

    > PS: with regards to the monthly News Server 'outages' I sent a email to
    > the Paradise help desk along with the comments from the March
    > Computerworld article, and also CC'd it to the Computerworld editor,
    > with comments about how this outage happens every month, despite what
    > they were told for the March article.
    >
    > I am also writing a formal letter of complaint to Telstra about the
    > fault with my connection, the problems with the helpdesk (having to wait
    > 30 -60 minutes to have someone answer your call) the 'run around' I have
    > got from some help desk staff, and about the monthly Usenet outage....

    i posted this earlier, But never saw it show up, So im posting it
    again.. .Sorry if some of you already got the original response

    So you only just discovered this by talking to telstra support and you
    want compensation for previous months, Those same months where you never
    felt the need to let them know there is a problem with your connection...

    How are telstra meant to know that you had a problem 8 months ago if you
    never told them you had a problem?

    Why should you get 8 months worth of free internet when you have been
    getting use out of your internet connection without feeling the need to
    call telstra support about a problem that you didnt even think you had..
    until now?

    You are lucky enough to get 1 free month from them. They are now aware
    of a problem and are fixing it, and compensating you.... That is a hell
    of alot better then any other internet company, Others will probably
    keep blaming you and your modem and will do anything not to have to send
    a tech out to fix cables in the street
    Andrew Lambert, Sep 26, 2007
  8. Max Burke

    Cadae Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    > The background:
    >
    > I also try to run speed tests using http://www.speedtest.net/index.php a
    > few times a week just to see how fast my connection is working.
    > The above website speed test keeps a history of your previous tests
    > (currently I have over 2 months worth of speed tests available)

    Speedtest seems to be broken at the moment. From my cable modem, Speedtest
    to all servers shows poor performance, but all my other local internet links
    seem to be running at normal 10Mbps speeds.

    Try xtra's speed test on

    http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/index.html

    .... and yes, it works for TelstraClear cable.

    PC
    Cadae, Sep 27, 2007
  9. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > In news: Cadae Scribbled:
    >> "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    >> The background:
    >> I also try to run speed tests using
    >> http://www.speedtest.net/index.php a few times a week just to see
    >> how fast my connection is working. The above website speed test keeps a
    >> history of your previous tests
    >> (currently I have over 2 months worth of speed tests available)

    > Speedtest seems to be broken at the moment. From my cable modem,
    > Speedtest to all servers shows poor performance, but all my other
    > local internet links seem to be running at normal 10Mbps speeds.
    > Try xtra's speed test on

    > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/index.html

    > ... and yes, it works for TelstraClear cable.

    It chokes like all the speed test websites I use. It averages < 1 Mbit to
    1.7 Mbits p/sec on the 9Mbyte FTP and HTTP manual downloads.

    As for the automatic download test their speed test seems to consider
    anything OVER 2.2 Mbits p/sec as *extreme(ly) fast. LOL

    I also run tests at several other websites:

    http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz/speedtest.php I get even worse results
    here that I do on speedtest website.

    http://myspeed.visualware.com/speedtest/speedtestemail.html I get similar or
    worse here, it consistantly shows that my upload speed is within the 2 Mbits
    speed of my plan but thdownload speed os often less than half of my upload
    speed.

    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/module-Speedtest.phtml
    http://www.nzdsl.co.nz/index.php?module=Speedtest2 Similar results to the
    speedtest website...

    http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/ Again, similar results to all the other
    websites.

    All report similar poor performance on dowloads well below the 10 Mbits
    performance I'm paying for, and what 3 Telstraclear Technicians have told me
    I should be getting.
    A Technican and his manager are are coming tomorrow to check/fix it again
    tomorrow.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Sep 27, 2007