Wellington City Net (WCN) is to lose WCC funding next year

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ron McNulty, May 16, 2009.

  1. Ron McNulty

    Ron McNulty Guest

    For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
    non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
    websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
    represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
    groups to name a few.

    The Council Draft Long-Term Council Community Plan (which sets funding
    for community groups) is dropping funding for this excellent community
    initiative. This means that many of the 570 organisations that use the
    service will lose their internet presence mid 2010.

    If you are a Wellington ratepayer, and have an interest in how the
    council spends your rates, please go to http://wcn.net.nz/, and read
    the home page. The link to the Wellington Scoop article is especially
    informative.

    There is an e-petition available at http://www.wellington.govt.nz/haveyoursay/e-petitions/ep/details/77

    Submissions close at 5pm on Monday, so if you want to be heard, go to
    it this weekend.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, May 16, 2009

  2. On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:57:17 +1200, Brian Dooley
    <> wrote:

    I've added mu signature.

    I'd rather see the rates go to the Community Network that go to
    Councillor's trips overseas or the proposes sports statium.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 090516-0, 16/05/2009
    Tested on: 5/17/2009 10:21:01 a.m.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, May 16, 2009

  3. On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <> wrote:
    > For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
    > non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
    > websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
    > represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
    > groups to name a few.

    Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    hosting is readily avlailable?

    Misanthropic Curmudgeon, May 18, 2009
  4. Ron McNulty

    Guest

    On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    <> wrote:

    >On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <> wrote:
    >> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
    >> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
    >> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
    >> represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
    >> groups to name a few.

    >Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    >hosting is readily avlailable?

    Where else is it available mis-c?

    , May 18, 2009
  5. On May 18, 2:42 pm, wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <> wrote:
    > >> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
    > >> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
    > >> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
    > >> represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
    > >> groups to name a few.

    > >Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    > >hosting is readily avlailable?

    > Where else is it available mis-c?

    You really are retarded, eh?

    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="free web hosting"&btnG=Google Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

    Misanthropic Curmudgeon, May 18, 2009
  6. Ron McNulty

    Enkidu Guest

    Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:
    > On May 18, 2:42 pm, wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    >>> hosting is readily avlailable?

    >> Where else is it available mis-c?

    > You really are retarded, eh?
    >
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="free web hosting"&btnG=Google Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

    Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let you
    'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain Name. In
    addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one month. Sucker
    bait.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 18, 2009
  7. Ron McNulty

    Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <> wrote:
    >>> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
    >>> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
    >>> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are
    >>> represented - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation
    >>> groups to name a few.

    >> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    >> hosting is readily avlailable?

    > Where else is it available mis-c?

    why is that the councils problem?

    Richard, May 18, 2009
  8. Ron McNulty

    Guest

    On Tue, 19 May 2009 03:05:45 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    >>> hosting is readily avlailable?

    >> Where else is it available mis-c?

    >why is that the councils problem?

    Many local authorities around the world host local organisation
    websites in order to ensure that activities available for residents
    and visitors are well known. There is no point in doing that if
    equivalent facilities are already available. Mis-c's answer
    demonstrates that equivalent facilities are not available.

    , May 18, 2009
  9. Ron McNulty

    Party Animal Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    >>> hosting is readily avlailable?

    >> Where else is it available mis-c?

    > why is that the councils problem?

    They started a service as a free isp for all these good reasons which
    they identified.
    http://wellingtonict.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=65
    So they decided that its their job and the people that are petitioning
    them to continue are Wellington ratepayers.

    Party Animal, May 18, 2009
  10. On May 18, 10:59 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:
    > > On May 18, 2:42 pm, wrote:

    > >> Where else is it available mis-c?

    > > You really are retarded, eh?

    > >http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="free web hosting"&btnG=Go...

    > Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let you
    > 'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain Name. In
    > addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one month.

    Look closer: I've been using some of them for years.

    Misanthropic Curmudgeon, May 18, 2009
  11. On May 19, 10:14 am, Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    <> wrote:
    > On May 18, 10:59 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >

    > > Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:

    > > > You really are retarded, eh?

    > > >http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="free web hosting"&btnG=Go...

    > > Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let you
    > > 'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain Name. In
    > > addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one month.

    > Look closer: I've been using some of them for years.

    And uploading my own HTML pages, I should add.

    Misanthropic Curmudgeon, May 18, 2009
  12. Ron McNulty

    Guest

    On May 18, 5:07 pm, Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    <> wrote:
    > On May 18, 2:42 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700 (PDT), Misanthropic Curmudgeon

    > > <> wrote:

    > > >Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    > > >hosting is readily avlailable?

    > > Where else is it available mis-c?

    > You really are retarded, eh?
    >
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="free web hosting"&btnG=Go...

    No, it's just easier to keep answering questions with more questions.

    , May 19, 2009
  13. Ron McNulty

    Guest

    On May 19, 8:15 am, wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 May 2009 03:05:45 +1200, Richard <> wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > >> Where else is it available mis-c?

    > >why is that the councils problem?

    > Many local authorities around the world  host local organisation
    > websites in order to ensure that activities available for residents
    > and visitors are well known. There is no point in doing that if
    > equivalent facilities are already available. Mis-c's answer
    > demonstrates that equivalent facilities are not available.

    If it has a demonstrable significant benefit to the community that
    without ratepayer funding would otherwise not exist, then perhaps it
    is worthwhile to continue the service.

    , May 19, 2009
  14. Ron McNulty

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:20:46 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:

    >On May 19, 8:15 am, wrote:

    >> >why is that the councils problem?

    >> Many local authorities around the world  host local organisation
    >> websites in order to ensure that activities available for residents
    >> and visitors are well known. There is no point in doing that if
    >> equivalent facilities are already available. Mis-c's answer
    >> demonstrates that equivalent facilities are not available.

    >If it has a demonstrable significant benefit to the community that
    >without ratepayer funding would otherwise not exist, then perhaps it
    >is worthwhile to continue the service.

    And those who aren't Wellington rate payers should mind their own
    business.
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, May 19, 2009
  15. Ron McNulty

    Guest

    On May 19, 4:37 pm, Brian Dooley <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:20:46 -0700 (PDT),
    > wrote:

    > >> Many local authorities around the world  host local organisation
    > >> websites in order to ensure that activities available for residents
    > >> and visitors are well known. There is no point in doing that if
    > >> equivalent facilities are already available. Mis-c's answer
    > >> demonstrates that equivalent facilities are not available.

    > >If it has a demonstrable significant benefit to the community that
    > >without ratepayer funding would otherwise not exist, then perhaps it
    > >is worthwhile to continue the service.

    > And those who aren't Wellington rate payers should mind their own
    > business.

    And you know that I am not a Wellington rate-payer? Perhaps those
    without anything constructive to add should keep their traps shut.

    , May 19, 2009
  16. Ron McNulty

    Enkidu Guest

    Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:
    > On May 18, 10:59 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:

    >>> You really are retarded, eh?
    >>> http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="free web hosting"&btnG=Go...
    >>>

    >> Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let
    >> you 'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain
    >> Name. In addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one
    >> month.

    > Look closer: I've been using some of them for years.

    Really? I used one. It disappeared. I tried another. It disappeared. Now
    I have a third, which I pay for and it hasn't disappeared.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 19, 2009
  17. Ron McNulty

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    On Sun, 17 May 2009 16:49:14 -0700, Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:

    > On May 16, 3:56 pm, Ron McNulty <> wrote:
    >> For several years, the WCC has provided a free web-hosting service for
    >> non-profit groups. It is very popular - 570 organisations have
    >> websites. A wide range of cultural and community groups are represented
    >> - choirs, churches, schools, sports clubs and conservation groups to
    >> name a few.

    > Why should the Wellington ratepayer pay to host websites, when free
    > hosting is readily avlailable?

    It goes back to the early Citylink days. Citylink was on of the first
    wideband metropolitan networks and was a WCC initiative. Hosting and data
    transport were not cheap in the mid 1990's and WCC have always supported
    the non profits-- they still provide accommodation at peppercorn rental
    for lots of them in the old Evening Post building, a building which would
    otherwise be something of an orphan.
    Free web hosting may be readily available now but free website support
    still is not. At the moment City Council is casting about for ways to
    hold down rates so the web sites come up for review even though the
    marginal cost of carrying them on top of their already large IT budget is
    not high. Actrix, for example, offer basic websites with blogging
    facilities, email address, help desk support and unlimited traffic
    allowance for $13 per month. WCC would argue that any non-profit could
    afford that.

    Roger_Nickel, May 19, 2009
  18. On , , Mon, 18 May 2009 15:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Re: Wellington City Net (WCN) is
    to lose WCC funding next year, Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    <> wrote:

    >On May 18, 10:59 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Misanthropic Curmudgeon wrote:

    >> > You really are retarded, eh?

    >> >http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="free web hosting"&btnG=Go...

    >> Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let you
    >> 'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain Name. In
    >> addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one month.

    >Look closer: I've been using some of them for years.

    So you say.
    Would you care to show us some of them?

    --
    "You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than
    you can with just a kind word alone".

    Mister Scooter, May 19, 2009
  19. On , , Mon, 18 May 2009 15:14:44 -0700 (PDT), Re: Wellington City Net (WCN) is
    <> wrote:

    >On May 19, 10:14 am, Misanthropic Curmudgeon
    ><> wrote:

    >> > Those are really crap. They only provide a few templates, only let you
    >> > 'customize' it with a logo, and require you to use their Domain Name. In
    >> > addition the one I randomly selected was free for only one month.

    >> Look closer: I've been using some of them for years.

    >And uploading my own HTML pages, I should add.

    I'm sure I'm not the only person who would like to check out the sites and see
    if they are as good as you say they are.
    We can check them at irregular intervals and see if the sites are up as often as
    paid sites for example.

    Mister Scooter, May 19, 2009
  20. On , , Mon, 18 May 2009 21:50:36 -0700 (PDT), Re: Wellington City Net (WCN) is
    to lose WCC funding next year, wrote:

    >On May 19, 4:37 pm, Brian Dooley <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 May 2009 18:20:46 -0700 (PDT),
    >> wrote:

    >> >If it has a demonstrable significant benefit to the community that
    >> >without ratepayer funding would otherwise not exist, then perhaps it
    >> >is worthwhile to continue the service.

    >> And those who aren't Wellington rate payers should mind their own
    >> business.

    >And you know that I am not a Wellington rate-payer? Perhaps those
    >without anything constructive to add should keep their traps shut.

    OK, stump up with some proof or STFU.

    Mister Scooter, May 19, 2009