    presumably because they don't want people bypassing their exorbitant
    phone surcharges.

    Grrrr,

    Adam Rosner, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Adam  Rosner

    Rob Guest

    "Adam Rosner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Had the pleasure of making use of this new service yesterday, only to
    > discover that VPN connections are blocked. I just wanted to VPN into
    > the office to download my mail while I was waiting... in the end I
    > found a weak signal from cafenet and connected to that, which allows
    > VPN traffic.
    >
    > So, when is an internet connection not an internet connection? When it
    > doesn't allow its target market (business travellers) to do what
    > they're going to need it for.
    >
    > On a similar subject, I've been in hotels which block Skype -
    > presumably because they don't want people bypassing their exorbitant
    > phone surcharges.
    >
    > Grrrr,

    Would you have been able to access a webmail interface?

    Rob, Mar 28, 2007

  3. On Mar 28, 4:09 pm, "Adam Rosner" <> wrote:
    > Had the pleasure of making use of this new service yesterday, only to
    > discover that VPN connections are blocked. I just wanted to VPN into
    > the office to download my mail while I was waiting... in the end I
    > found a weak signal from cafenet and connected to that, which allows
    > VPN traffic.
    >
    > So, when is an internet connection not an internet connection? When it
    > doesn't allow its target market (business travellers) to do what
    > they're going to need it for.
    >
    > On a similar subject, I've been in hotels which block Skype -
    > presumably because they don't want people bypassing their exorbitant
    > phone surcharges.
    >
    > Grrrr,

    Curious as to what sort of VPN do you have?

    PPTP. IPsec, SSL etc?

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Adam  Rosner

    Crash Guest

    Re: Wellington Airport may have free wireless internet, but it'snobbled

    Rob wrote:
    > "Adam Rosner" <> wrote in message
    >> Had the pleasure of making use of this new service yesterday, only to
    >> discover that VPN connections are blocked. I just wanted to VPN into
    >> the office to download my mail while I was waiting... in the end I
    >> found a weak signal from cafenet and connected to that, which allows
    >> VPN traffic.
    >>
    >> So, when is an internet connection not an internet connection? When it
    >> doesn't allow its target market (business travellers) to do what
    >> they're going to need it for.
    >>
    >> On a similar subject, I've been in hotels which block Skype -
    >> presumably because they don't want people bypassing their exorbitant
    >> phone surcharges.
    >>
    >> Grrrr,
    >>

    > Would you have been able to access a webmail interface?

    Even if Adam could use a webmail interface it really serves little useful
    purpose because the messages received are not yet in your email client and
    messages sent will never be in your email client. When I use an email client
    for business it is crucial that all emails be stored in that client for future
    reference.

    The value of VPN is that it allows you to work as if you were at your desk.

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 28, 2007
  5. Re: Wellington Airport may have free wireless internet, but it'snobbled

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:57:27 +1200, Crash wrote:

    > When I use an email client
    > for business it is crucial that all emails be stored in that client for
    > future reference.

    Email should not be stored in an "email client"

    They should be stored on a server and backed up nightly.

    Webmail is an interface to a mbox store located on a server somewhere. It
    is perfectly reasonable to access that mbox store by means of a web
    interface, and the user would be able to send themselves a BCC copy of
    their reply so that it too is in their inbox for future reference and
    backed up on the server.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux.
    When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 28, 2007
  6. Adam  Rosner

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:57:27 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >
    >> When I use an email client
    >> for business it is crucial that all emails be stored in that client for
    >> future reference.

    > Email should not be stored in an "email client"
    >
    > They should be stored on a server and backed up nightly.
    >
    > Webmail is an interface to a mbox store located on a server somewhere. It
    > is perfectly reasonable to access that mbox store by means of a web
    > interface, and the user would be able to send themselves a BCC copy of
    > their reply so that it too is in their inbox for future reference and
    > backed up on the server.

    In my business I need to be able to recall emails sent to me and that I sent for
    6 months. My mail storage currently amounts to about 250 MB kept locally on my
    laptop and backed up regularly to my server storage. My employer has 10s of
    thousands of employees worldwide and chooses to allow 10 MB per person on the
    mail servers - way short of what I need.

    I also depend on email client composition and attachment features - not always
    found in webmail.

    Your average NZ company may well be able to do as you suggest server-wise but it
    is almost always a pain in the butt to use compared to the normal email client.

    Crash.

    Crash, Mar 28, 2007
  7. On Mar 28, 8:38 pm, Dianthus Mimulus <> wrote:
    > > When I use an email client
    > > for business it is crucial that all emails be stored in that client for
    > > future reference.

    > Email should not be stored in an "email client"
    >
    > They should be stored on a server and backed up nightly.
    >
    > Webmail is an interface to a mbox store located on a server somewhere. It
    > is perfectly reasonable to access that mbox store by means of a web
    > interface, and the user would be able to send themselves a BCC copy of
    > their reply so that it too is in their inbox for future reference and
    > backed up on the server.

    Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Oulook can give you all of this - the
    best of both worlds
    No BCC required, its automatically in your sent items folder on the
    server, and replicated down to your email client if you wish.

    Webmail (Outlook Web Access) is just a view into your server side
    mailbox which can be replicated/synchronised down to the client if you
    wish

    Exchange 2007 doesn't even need to be backed up nightly, as it
    includes built-in features that can provide quick recovery, high
    availability, and site resiliency for Mailbox servers such as Local
    Continuous Replication (LCR), Cluster Continuous Replication (CCR) and
    Single Copy Clusters (SCC)

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 28, 2007
  8. Adam  Rosner

    Kent Smith Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Adam Rosner" <> wrote in message
    >> Had the pleasure of making use of this new service yesterday, only to
    >> discover that VPN connections are blocked. I just wanted to VPN into
    >> the office to download my mail while I was waiting... in the end I
    >> found a weak signal from cafenet and connected to that, which allows
    >> VPN traffic.
    >>
    >> So, when is an internet connection not an internet connection? When
    >> it doesn't allow its target market (business travellers) to do what
    >> they're going to need it for.
    >>
    >> On a similar subject, I've been in hotels which block Skype -
    >> presumably because they don't want people bypassing their exorbitant
    >> phone surcharges.
    >>

    > Would you have been able to access a webmail interface?

    Don't you mean web based VPN client interface?

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Mar 28, 2007
  9. Adam  Rosner

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <460a2cfb$>, Crash wrote:
    > Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:57:27 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I use an email client
    >>> for business it is crucial that all emails be stored in that client for
    >>> future reference.

    >> Email should not be stored in an "email client"
    >>
    >> They should be stored on a server and backed up nightly.
    >>
    >> Webmail is an interface to a mbox store located on a server somewhere. It
    >> is perfectly reasonable to access that mbox store by means of a web
    >> interface, and the user would be able to send themselves a BCC copy of
    >> their reply so that it too is in their inbox for future reference and
    >> backed up on the server.

    > In my business I need to be able to recall emails sent to me and that I sent for
    > 6 months. My mail storage currently amounts to about 250 MB kept locally on my
    > laptop and backed up regularly to my server storage. My employer has 10s of
    > thousands of employees worldwide and chooses to allow 10 MB per person on the
    > mail servers - way short of what I need.
    >
    > I also depend on email client composition and attachment features - not always
    > found in webmail.
    >
    > Your average NZ company may well be able to do as you suggest server-wise but it
    > is almost always a pain in the butt to use compared to the normal email client.

    Ever heard of imap?
    I use a normal email client for my personal email but all emails sent or recieved
    are also stored on my server.

    Best of both worlds.

    ChrisOD, Mar 28, 2007
  10. Re: Wellington Airport may have free wireless internet, but it'snobbled

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:50:57 +1200, Crash wrote:

    > Your average NZ company may well be able to do as you suggest
    > server-wise but it is almost always a pain in the butt to use compared
    > to the normal email client.

    Rubbish!

    It is trivially easy to save your archived emails either into a mbox
    somewhere on a server, or to save the emails directly as separate files.

    Also, if you need more than 10mb of email storage for legitimate business
    reasons, then ask for it. State your case. If you have a valid reason as
    to why you need your inbox to be able to hold more than 10mb of unread
    emails.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 28, 2007
  11. Re: Wellington Airport may have free wireless internet, but it'snobbled

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:47:10 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    <snip - marketing propaganda.

    Nice to see the resident M$ stooge is still trying to market M$ rubbish in
    this NG.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 28, 2007
  12. Re: Wellington Airport may have free wireless internet, but it'snobbled

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:50:57 +1200, Crash wrote:

    > I also depend on email client composition and attachment features - not
    > always found in webmail.

    How hard is it to type in a text?

    How difficult is it to click on "attach document"?

    How hard it is to put your emails onto an archive mbox or save them
    directly as documents into a directory that you have access to on the
    server?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 28, 2007
  13. Re: Wellington Airport may have free wireless internet, but it'snobbled

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:47:10 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    <snip - marketing propaganda>

    Repeating yourself with your cut-n-paste texts, Mercer.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 28, 2007
  14. Adam  Rosner

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:57:27 +1200, Crash
    <> exclaimed:

    >Rob wrote:
    >> "Adam Rosner" <> wrote in message
    >>> Had the pleasure of making use of this new service yesterday, only to
    >>> discover that VPN connections are blocked. I just wanted to VPN into
    >>> the office to download my mail while I was waiting... in the end I
    >>> found a weak signal from cafenet and connected to that, which allows
    >>> VPN traffic.
    >>>
    >>> So, when is an internet connection not an internet connection? When it
    >>> doesn't allow its target market (business travellers) to do what
    >>> they're going to need it for.
    >>>
    >>> On a similar subject, I've been in hotels which block Skype -
    >>> presumably because they don't want people bypassing their exorbitant
    >>> phone surcharges.
    >>>
    >>> Grrrr,
    >>>

    >> Would you have been able to access a webmail interface?

    >Even if Adam could use a webmail interface it really serves little useful
    >purpose because the messages received are not yet in your email client and
    >messages sent will never be in your email client. When I use an email client
    >for business it is crucial that all emails be stored in that client for future
    >reference.
    >
    >The value of VPN is that it allows you to work as if you were at your desk.

    You should be using Exchange, then.

    Regardless of whether you check your email at your desk, your laptop,
    your PDA, or your web interface, whatever you do on one is synced to
    the others.

    eg. if you read one email message, reply to another, flag another for
    following, and move another to a seperate folder, the changes will
    appear at every point (although I don't think Pocket Outlook supports
    flags yet).

    VERY handy.

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 29, 2007
  15. Adam  Rosner

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 29 Mar 2007 01:19:00 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus
    <> exclaimed:

    >On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:50:57 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >
    >> I also depend on email client composition and attachment features - not
    >> always found in webmail.

    >How hard is it to type in a text?
    >
    >How difficult is it to click on "attach document"?
    >
    >How hard it is to put your emails onto an archive mbox or save them
    >directly as documents into a directory that you have access to on the
    >server?

    Hey, MABlingblongaditydong, you're showing your ignorance again.

    Fred Dagg, Mar 29, 2007
  16. Adam  Rosner

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 29 Mar 2007 01:10:54 +1200, Dianthus Mimulus
    <> exclaimed:

    >On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:47:10 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    ><snip - marketing propaganda.
    >
    >Nice to see the resident M$ stooge is still trying to market M$ rubbish in
    >this NG.

    He's actually 100% right, Blingadingaling.

    Maybe you should look into something before immediately being against
    it?

    Fred Dagg, Mar 29, 2007
  17. Adam  Rosner

    Adam Rosner Guest

    On Mar 28, 7:13 pm, "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote:
    > Curious as to what sort of VPN do you have?
    >
    > PPTP. IPsec, SSL etc?

    L2TP

    Webmail is not exposed to the internet. If it was then I would not
    have needed the VPN.

    However, if I'd needed to download a file from one of the servers
    inside the network, or anything of that nature, I'd have needed the
    VPN. As was pointed out by someone else in this thread, a VPN allows
    you to be "virtually" sitting at your desk, while on the road.

    I was just amazed this service would be crippled to the extent that it
    is virtually useless to business travellers, who are surely the target
    market!

    Adam Rosner, Mar 29, 2007
  18. Adam  Rosner

    Richard Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:

    >> Your average NZ company may well be able to do as you suggest server-wise but it
    >> is almost always a pain in the butt to use compared to the normal email client.
    >>

    > Ever heard of imap?
    > I use a normal email client for my personal email but all emails sent or recieved
    > are also stored on my server.
    >
    > Best of both worlds.

    Yeah, but that only deals with receiving, sending still needs an smtp
    server, and chances are that they have blocked access to it on port 25
    and stuff all people are running it on the message submission port to
    deal with people off site that need to relay thru it.

    Same issue at tech, their useless response is equally dumb, either use
    webmail or to use the tech smtp which will not work since its not in my
    spf records.

    Richard, Mar 29, 2007
  19. Re: Wellington Airport may have free wireless internet, but it'snobbled

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:41:06 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > Same issue at tech, their useless response is equally dumb, either use
    > webmail or to use the tech smtp which will not work since its not in my
    > spf records.

    So request that it be set up in your SPF records.

    Have you done that?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 29, 2007
  20. Adam  Rosner

    Richard Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:41:06 +1200, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Same issue at tech, their useless response is equally dumb, either use
    >> webmail or to use the tech smtp which will not work since its not in my
    >> spf records.

    > So request that it be set up in your SPF records.
    >
    > Have you done that?

    No, and I dont want a mail server that has hundreds of unsecured
    personal laptops, many of which have my address in their addressbooks
    able to send with essentially a freepass past spam filters.

    Same reason I didn't want to setup relaying via my ISPs mail servers
    when they had an unadvertised block on smtp access which they would not
    remove. (thats you xnet)

    Richard, Mar 29, 2007