Well, isn't this cute. (NOT.)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mara, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Mara

    Mara Guest

    Mara, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Mara

    SgtMinor Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > Spell correctly, people:
    >
    > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/30/1064819912915.html
    >
    > This says it all:
    >
    > http://www.verislime.com/
    >
    > --
    > Two minutes is, to me, 2 minutes too many. Trolls thrive on
    > attention... starve them, and they die pathetic, lonely little deaths.
    > --John Oliver, nanae, 7/03/02

    Well, dang. And I thought Verisign was as trustworthy as the NYSE. At
    least GoDaddy's going after them:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030922/lam075_1.html

    BTW, could not get through to www.verislime.com
    SgtMinor, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Mara

    °Mike° Guest

    http://www.spywareinfo.net/sep24,2003#verisign

    In a nutshell, add the following to your hosts file:

    127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com # [Block Verisign]
    127.0.0.1 sitefinder-idn.verisign.com # [Block Verisign]

    And block the following IPs (all apps./protocols/directions).
    in your firewall.

    12.158.80.10
    64.94.110.11

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:13:16 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Thund3rstruck, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:40:19 -0400, SgtMinor wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >>
    >> Spell correctly, people:
    >>
    >> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/30/1064819912915.html
    >>
    >> This says it all:
    >>
    >> http://www.verislime.com/
    >>
    >> --
    >> Two minutes is, to me, 2 minutes too many. Trolls thrive on
    >> attention... starve them, and they die pathetic, lonely little deaths.
    >> --John Oliver, nanae, 7/03/02

    >Well, dang. And I thought Verisign was as trustworthy as the NYSE. At
    >least GoDaddy's going after them:
    >http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030922/lam075_1.html

    Yes. Along with the class-action suit:

    http://news.com.com/2100-1038-5083161.html

    and:

    http://computercops.biz/article3243.html

    Paul's (Vixie) take on it:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/09/22/vixie.html

    >BTW, could not get through to www.verislime.com

    I wonder why - comes through fine here. This should make the point, though:

    http://www.seebs.net/log/archives/000065.html

    ICANN has proved itself totally useless because of this. I hope the lawsuits
    prevail. I have not forgotten what they did before....

    "http://news.com.com/2100-1025-5081941.html"

    Mara, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:19:47 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >http://www.spywareinfo.net/sep24,2003#verisign
    >
    >In a nutshell, add the following to your hosts file:
    >
    >127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com # [Block Verisign]
    >127.0.0.1 sitefinder-idn.verisign.com # [Block Verisign]
    >

    >And block the following IPs (all apps./protocols/directions).
    >in your firewall.
    >
    >12.158.80.10
    >64.94.110.11

    Thanks. :) I don't use a hosts files - no real need, here - but those who do
    will benefit greatly from this - and Verislime won't.

    "And that's a GOOD thing."

    Mara, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:03:07 -0400, Thund3rstruck wrote:

    >Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    ><>:
    >
    >> Spell correctly, people:
    >>
    >> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/30/1064819912915.html

    ><sarcasm>
    >
    >wonderful.
    ></sarcasm>

    Typical. They certainly weren't above it before. I guess they figured fraud
    didn't work so they'd try a little hijacking and leaking instead. What worries
    me is all the e-mail addresses they may be ending up with. $Deity only knows
    what they intend to do with them, though I have a sneaking hunch.

    "And it isn't a pleasant one."

    >> This says it all:
    >>
    >> http://www.verislime.com/

    > Hmm. That site doesn't work. Could it be that Verisign decided to
    >make it so?

    You're the second person who's said that, and I can't figure out why because it
    works fine here. I have swf turned on just for this, though, and if you don't,
    the site won't work. Is that it?

    Mara, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Mara

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:28:56 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:03:07 -0400, Thund3rstruck wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> This says it all:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.verislime.com/

    >> Hmm. That site doesn't work. Could it be that Verisign decided to
    >>make it so?

    >You're the second person who's said that, and I can't figure out why because it
    >works fine here. I have swf turned on just for this, though, and if you don't,
    >the site won't work. Is that it?

    No, same here.

    Trying http//www.verislime.com
    Connection established.

    Header Information
    -------------------------
    HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error
    Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:46:16 GMT
    Server: NetCache appliance (NetApp/5.3.1R4)

    Page Data
    -------------------------
    <HTML>
    <HEAD><TITLE>500 Server Error</TITLE></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <H1>Server Error</H1>
    <H4>
    The following error occurred:<P>
    Could not connect because of networking problems. Contact your system
    administrator. (CANT_CONNECT)
    </H4>
    <HR>
    Please contact the administrator.
    </BODY>
    </HTML>
    -------------------------

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Mara

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:19:02 -0500, in
    <>
    Mara scrawled:

    >On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:19:47 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.spywareinfo.net/sep24,2003#verisign
    >>
    >>In a nutshell, add the following to your hosts file:
    >>
    >>127.0.0.1 sitefinder.verisign.com # [Block Verisign]
    >>127.0.0.1 sitefinder-idn.verisign.com # [Block Verisign]
    >>

    >>And block the following IPs (all apps./protocols/directions).
    >>in your firewall.
    >>
    >>12.158.80.10
    >>64.94.110.11

    >Thanks. :) I don't use a hosts files - no real need, here - but those who do
    >will benefit greatly from this - and Verislime won't.
    >
    >"And that's a GOOD thing."

    YW. :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:53:17 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:28:56 -0500, in
    > <>
    > Mara scrawled:
    >
    >>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:03:07 -0400, Thund3rstruck wrote:
    >>

    ><snip>

    >>> Hmm. That site doesn't work. Could it be that Verisign decided to
    >>>make it so?

    >>You're the second person who's said that, and I can't figure out why because it
    >>works fine here. I have swf turned on just for this, though, and if you don't,
    >>the site won't work. Is that it?

    >No, same here.
    >
    >Trying http//www.verislime.com
    >Connection established.

    Interesting. I'm getting a "connection refused" error now, also. And a socket
    error with SS.

    "Hmmm."

    Mara, Sep 30, 2003
  11. Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>:

    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:03:07 -0400, Thund3rstruck wrote:
    >
    >>Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    >><>:

    <snip>
    >>> This says it all:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.verislime.com/

    >> Hmm. That site doesn't work. Could it be that Verisign decided to
    >>make it so?

    > You're the second person who's said that, and I can't figure out why
    > because it works fine here. I have swf turned on just for this,
    > though, and if you don't, the site won't work. Is that it?

    I tried it here on both this machine (Linux) and the 2000 box,and
    at work on rr.com.

    Nothing. <Shrug>

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Oct 1, 2003
  12. Mara

    Harrison Guest

    It doesn't load for me either.
    I did a reverse from dnsstuff.com and got 66.246.108.197, but that
    won't load either.

    Harrison, Oct 1, 2003
  13. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:25:24 -0400, Thund3rstruck wrote:

    >Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    ><>:
    >
    >> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:03:07 -0400, Thund3rstruck wrote:
    >>
    >>>Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    >>><>:

    ><snip>

    >>> Hmm. That site doesn't work. Could it be that Verisign decided to
    >>>make it so?

    >> You're the second person who's said that, and I can't figure out why
    >> because it works fine here. I have swf turned on just for this,
    >> though, and if you don't, the site won't work. Is that it?

    > I tried it here on both this machine (Linux) and the 2000 box,and
    >at work on rr.com.
    >
    > Nothing. <Shrug>

    It must have been "headed out" when I posted it, because it wasn't long after
    that before I couldn't get to it anymore either. It wasn't anything special -
    just a "Verislime" pic with a woman's voice in the background saying "Verisign
    is a BAD company."

    And it is.

    Mara, Oct 1, 2003
  14. Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>:

    > It must have been "headed out" when I posted it, because it wasn't
    > long after that before I couldn't get to it anymore either. It
    > wasn't anything special - just a "Verislime" pic with a woman's
    > voice in the background saying "Verisign is a BAD company."
    >
    > And it is.

    Lol, true, but I could have done something funnier.

    A tall woman wearing black leather and carrying a whip.

    <Crack!> goes the whip.

    "Bad Verisign!"

    NOI
    --