Well I have my P4 3.2g Northwood now..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Well some nasty person tried to beet me to it, seems like I got the Only one
    left in NZ..

    Now Installed and working..

    Well from the reviews I have seen the Prescott only comes out better with
    some bench marks that use the SS3 Instructions, an most state to get the
    Northwood, the other reason is Heat, the 3.2g Prescott E0 stepping draws
    103W, the Northwood only 82w

    Well my MoBo came out at around Oct. 2003, the Prescott was only out at around
    Feb 2004

    So I was not prepared to try a prescott in it as the Gigabyte Info refers to
    a Rev 2.1 board and mine is 2.0 mind you I did get 2 e-mails back in 2003
    from Gigabyte that stated the board was prescott ready, plus the manual does
    state prescott.

    It seems the Dove has them listed as being in stock, but there site was
    wrong..

    Quay computers tried to sell me a AMD, but I stated that I have a web site
    that proves that the P4 was better then most of the lower priced AMD , they
    did not believe me, but I an inclined to believe that site 100%..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Aspiringpsychopath

    Comp Guest

    "Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message

    > Well some nasty person tried to beet me to it, seems like I got the Only

    one
    > left in NZ..
    >
    >Northwood, the other reason is Heat, the 3.2g Prescott E0 stepping draws

    103W, the Northwood only 82w

    > .............. Dribble removed

    So what are you going to do with the 21W you're saving.?
    You could run 21 1W lightbulbs and connect them to your PDP11
    but then there is a better model of 1W bulbs coming out next year that
    only use .9W for 1W of output so better sit in the dark until then ah......?

    Comp, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Aspiringpsychopath

    Comp, Dec 17, 2004
  4. On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:27:34 +1300, "Comp" <> wrote:

    >"Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Well some nasty person tried to beet me to it, seems like I got the Only

    >one
    >> left in NZ..
    >>
    >>Northwood, the other reason is Heat, the 3.2g Prescott E0 stepping draws

    >103W, the Northwood only 82w
    >
    >> .............. Dribble removed

    >So what are you going to do with the 21W you're saving.?
    >You could run 21 1W lightbulbs and connect them to your PDP11
    >but then there is a better model of 1W bulbs coming out next year that
    >only use .9W for 1W of output so better sit in the dark until then ah......?

    My Power bill will be lower, plus my PC can run in the Summer

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Aspiringpsychopath

    Rich Guest

    > Quay computers tried to sell me a AMD, but I stated that I have a web site
    > that proves that the P4 was better then most of the lower priced AMD ,
    > they
    > did not believe me, but I an inclined to believe that site 100%..

    So you are telling us that your expensive Intel is better than a lower
    priced AMD?

    What about if you bought an AMD chip that was the same price as your Intel?
    Would it still be better?

    Rich, Dec 17, 2004
  7. Aspiringpsychopath

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Dec 17, 2004
  8. On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:41:57 +1300, "Rich" <> wrote:

    >> Quay computers tried to sell me a AMD, but I stated that I have a web site
    >> that proves that the P4 was better then most of the lower priced AMD ,
    >> they
    >> did not believe me, but I an inclined to believe that site 100%..
    >>

    >So you are telling us that your expensive Intel is better than a lower
    >priced AMD?
    >
    >What about if you bought an AMD chip that was the same price as your Intel?
    >Would it still be better?

    No I posted the Info some time this week, only the $1000+ AMD Chips could
    beet the P4 3.4g Intels in all tests.

    Here is that Article again

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/amd-2400/index.html

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004
  10. Aspiringpsychopath

    cowboyz Guest

    Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:27:34 +1300, "Comp"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Aspiringpsychopath" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Well some nasty person tried to beet me to it, seems like I got
    >>> the Only one left in NZ..
    >>>
    >>> Northwood, the other reason is Heat, the 3.2g Prescott E0 stepping
    >>> draws 103W, the Northwood only 82w

    >>> .............. Dribble removed

    >> So what are you going to do with the 21W you're saving.?
    >> You could run 21 1W lightbulbs and connect them to your PDP11
    >> but then there is a better model of 1W bulbs coming out next year
    >> that
    >> only use .9W for 1W of output so better sit in the dark until then
    >> ah......?

    > My Power bill will be lower, plus my PC can run in the Summer

    So intels don't work well all year round?

    cowboyz, Dec 17, 2004
  11. Aspiringpsychopath

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz, Dec 17, 2004
  12. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    >>My Power bill will be lower, plus my PC can run in the Summer

    > So intels don't work well all year round?

    Seems that way, doesn't it.

    Crappy overclocked processor, $600.
    Air conditioned room to run it in, $25k.
    Realising an AMD chip would have been both faster and cheaper, priceless.

    Dave

    David Preece, Dec 17, 2004
  13. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    David Preece, Dec 17, 2004
  14. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    David Preece, Dec 17, 2004
  15. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    David Preece, Dec 17, 2004
  16. In article <>,
    Aspiringpsychopath <> wrote:

    >Quay computers tried to sell me a AMD, but I stated that I have a web site
    >that proves that the P4 was better then most of the lower priced AMD , they
    >did not believe me, but I an inclined to believe that site 100%..

    I've been less than impressed with my current experience of the state of
    the AMD64 art too. Thought that might have been the particular
    application I was using it for (MPEG encoding).

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2004
  17. In article <>,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2004
  18. On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 07:22:49 +1300, David Preece <>
    wrote:

    >cowboyz wrote:
    >>>My Power bill will be lower, plus my PC can run in the Summer

    >> So intels don't work well all year round?

    >Seems that way, doesn't it.
    >
    >Crappy overclocked processor, $600.
    >Air conditioned room to run it in, $25k.
    >Realising an AMD chip would have been both faster and cheaper, priceless.
    >
    >Dave

    And work in a Intel chipset MoBo....??

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004
  19. On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 07:22:49 +1300, David Preece <>

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 17, 2004
  20. Aspiringpsychopath wrote:
    >>Crappy overclocked processor, $600.
    >>Air conditioned room to run it in, $25k.
    >>Realising an AMD chip would have been both faster and cheaper, priceless.

    > And work in a Intel chipset MoBo....??

    I have an AMD chip here in an Intel mobo, it runs fine. :)

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 17, 2004