Welcoming FAQ Flying High

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Young, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    Thought I'd hitch a ride, since this hasn't been posted in a while :)
    ____________________________________
    Written by Erica Sadun
    Updated 6 July 2003

    WELCOMING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
    for rec.photo.digital

    Welcome to the rec.photo.digital Usenet newsgroup. Before you rush off
    to post, we strongly recommend and request that you peruse this small
    document, which attempts to answer the most Frequently Asked Questions
    about the rec.photo.digital newsgroup. This is *not* the full R.P.D.
    FAQ. You'll find the R.P.D. FAQ at http://rpdfaq.50megs.com

    TABLE OF CONTENTS
    1. CHARTER OF REC.PHOTO.DIGITAL
    2. GENERAL COURTESY AND NEWSGROUP SPECIFIC CONVENTIONS
    How to post so that you don't look foolish or upset people
    3. MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY
    1. Which camera or printer should I buy?
    2. Which software should I use for...?
    3. How do I create a VCD from my photo album?
    4. What batteries/charger should I use?
    5. How do I....?
    6. Is something wrong with my camera?
    7. Which is better...?
    8. Is 'company-name' a good online retailer?
    9. Where can I learn more about taking good pictures?
    10. JPEG or TIFF?

    4. NEWSGROUP RESOURCES & ARCHIVES
    1. The r.p.d. FAQ
    2. The online photofinishers FAQ
    5. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

    1. CHARTER OF REC.PHOTO.DIGITAL

    "This group is for the discussion of all aspects of digital
    photography, including digital cameras, scanners, image manipulation
    software, printers, and CD-ROM technology. All postings made
    to this group should conform to existing Usenet guidelines
    (see news.announce.newusers for guideline documents).
    This group explicitly prohibits the posting of commercial
    advertisments or other promotional material, whether or not
    it is an any way related to photography. Binary postings (i.e. non
    text postings) are prohibited."

    About this group:

    The rec.photo.digital Usenet newsgroup offers a forum in which to
    discuss past, current and future digital imaging solutions, devices
    and software. Feel free to ask for help or advice on how best to
    perform imaging tasks using cameras and other related hardware such
    as card readers, power sources, CD burners, etc. This group does
    NOT permit commercial posts. Do not sell your hardware, your business
    or your site on this group.

    2. GENERAL COURTESY AND NEWSGROUP SPECIFIC CONVENTIONS

    Please use standard Usenet netiquette when posting on r.p.d. Treat
    other posters with courtesy and follow standard conventions when
    replying to posts. Please trim the posts you reply to, retaining
    only the significant portions in your follow up. Preserve attributions
    (the bits that specify who wrote what in each post) and limit your
    signature to 4 lines or less. To ensure readability, do not use
    HTML in your posts and keep your line lengths to the Usenet standard
    of 80 characters. You can read more about netiquette at many sites,
    such as http://www.pbs.org/uti/guide/netiquette.html

    ** Do recall that this is Usenet. No one can "police" this group.
    ** We rely on individual courtesy to help this group function
    ** properly.

    3. MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY

    Before posting, we politely request that you spend some time reading
    through the group, and peruse the group FAQ. The FAQ answers many
    questions usually posed by new posters. You can find the most current
    FAQ at http://rpdfaq.50megs.com

    Help limit bandwidth. Please keep the group on-topic with current
    issues that haven't already been covered. If your question has to
    do with camera-specific issues, please point your Web browser at
    http://groups.google.com and search through the Google News
    archives of rec.photo.digital to find previously posted answers.
    To find recent articles, use the advanced search option--sort
    results by date.

    Nevertheless, there are a few questions that arise again and
    again, and to save you some time, we've included them here in
    this mini-FAQ.

    1. Which camera or printer should I buy?

    Of course, the answer to this will depend greatly on your
    personal needs and budget. Please refer to one of the many
    excellent sites that review and discuss particular cameras.
    It also helps to actually handle the camera in person while
    shopping. The feel of the camera and the location of the
    controls can make a difference in your shooting comfort.
    Let us recommend the following sites.

    * Digital Photography Review: http://www.dpreview.com/
    * Steve's Digicams: http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    * Digital Camera Resource Page: http://dcresource.com/
    * The Imaging Resource http://www.imaging-resource.com/

    As far as printers go, many people recommend the Epson line.
    You may wish to consider using an online or retail photofinisher
    to create prints from your camera. Walmart now offers 29 cent
    4x6 prints. Just walk in with your pictures on a CD or floppy.

    2. Which software should I use for...?

    There's an awful lot of software out there and people certainly
    have their favorites. Here are some that get mentioned a lot.

    Editing : Photoshop (Mac, PC, www.adobe.com),
    Photoshop Elements (Mac, PC, www.adobe.com),
    Paintshop Pro (PC, www.jasc.com)

    Cataloging : Thumbs Plus (PC, www.cerious.com),
    CompuPic (PC, www.photodex.com),
    ACDSee (PC, www.acdsystems.com)
    irfanview (PC, www.irfanview.com)
    iView (Mac, www.iview-multimedia.com)

    Converting : GraphicConverter (Mac, www.lemkesoft.com)

    Printing : PhotoPrinter LE (Mac, PC, www.arcsoft.com)
    Qimage (PC, www.ddisoftware.com)

    Panoramas : MGI PhotoVista (PC, www.mgisoft.com),
    Panorama Factory (PC, www.panoramafactory.com)

    Resizing : GraphicConverter (Mac, www.lemkesoft.com),
    ThumbsPlus (PC, www.cerious.com)

    3. How do I create a VCD from my photo album?

    Check out http://www.vcdhelp.com/nerophoto.htm

    4. What batteries/charger should I use?

    Use NiMH batteries. They are widely available, provide
    excellent power, are affordable, etc.

    As far as chargers go, consider the MAHA C204F available from
    www.thomas-distributing.com

    5. How do I....?

    Before you post any "how do I" posts, be sure to stop
    by the CliffShade site, http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/
    This amazing site hosts many "how to" articles than span
    the entire range of digital camera know-how.

    6. Is something wrong with my camera?

    If an article at Google does not pop up an answer to your
    question, make sure to specify as much relevant information
    in your post as possible.

    * Hardware: Camera type, PC type, whatever is applicable.
    * Operating system, with version, if applicable. e.g. Win95,
    Win98, WinNT4, Win2000, Mac OS/X, etc.
    * Camera or scanner brand, model, and firmware revision, e.g.
    "HP Photosmart C5100A v1.00".
    * Other relevant hardware details. If the camera can interface
    using serial or USB, specify which you were using. For SCSI
    device problems, listing the other devices on the chain may
    help.
    * Software in use, including version numbers, e.g. "Photoshop
    v5.5".
    * What you were trying to do, the specific steps you took,
    anything you've tried to correct the problem, and if so,
    the results achieved to date.
    * Specific error messages seen. Write down exactly what it says,
    add any numeric error codes along with it. Be sure to write
    down what it said, not what you think it meant.

    7. Which is better...?

    Whether comparing the merits of film vs digital, or compact
    flash, smart media and memory stick, do remember that each
    technology offers both pro's and con's. Stop by google to
    search for old debates before starting your own.

    8. Is 'company-name' a good online retailer?

    Before posting, make sure to check previous posts with google.
    Then you may wish to stop by www.resellerratings.com,
    www.bizrate.com and the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org).
    Other consumer sites include

    * The Consumer Information Center http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/
    * The FTC Consumer Line http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm
    * The National Consumer Complaint Center
    http://www.alexanderlaw.com/nccc/index.html
    * Consumer World: http://www.consumerworld.org/
    * The American Bar Association's Safe Shopping Site
    http://www.safeshopping.org/

    9. Where can I learn more about taking good pictures?

    * Kodak Digital Learning Center
    http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/dlc/
    http://www.kodak.com/US/en/nav/takingPics.shtml

    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/pictureTaking/index.shtml

    * Learning Photography (not just digital)
    http://www.411photography.com/LEARNING_PHOTOGRAPHY/

    * Digital Photography - A Free On-line Course
    Dennis P. Curtin, http://www.photocourse.com/

    * Ron Parr's Digital Photography FAQ
    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~parr/photography/faq.html

    10. JPEG or TIFF?

    http://groups.google.com/groups?
    as_q=JPEG%20TIFF&as_ugroup=rec.photo.digital
    (Combine lines for complete URL)

    Also see:
    www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/exposure.htm#tiff
    www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/exposure.htm#jpeg

    4. NEWSGROUP RESOURCES & ARCHIVES

    1. The r.p.d. FAQ
    You can find the latest version of the r.p.d. FAQ at
    http://rpdfaq.50megs.com

    2. The Digital Photofinishers FAQ
    Check Google to find the latest version of the digital
    photofinishing FAQ, or send e-mail to

    5. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS AND ANNOUCEMENTS

    This FAQ owes much to John Novak of rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan.
    Parts of this FAQ have been extracted and osterized from the r.p.d.
    FAQ.

    Thanks also to Barry Parker, John Beale, Mark Peot, Timothy Reed,
    Martin Schuessler, Thomas Wana, Bob Brown, Barry Pearson, Ron Bean,
    Ken Stuart and Billy_RPD.

    Please send any updates and suggestions for this R.P.D. Welcoming FAQ
    to Erica Sadun,

    This FAQ is archived at http://www.ericasadun.com

    As per our original discussions on rec.photo.digital, this
    Welcome FAQ now returns to its regular once-or-twice-a-week
    schedule after finishing the holiday rush.

    Steve Young, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Steve Young

    Eric Gisin Guest

    The FAQ is pointless if it isn't posted weekly...

    Eric Gisin, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    > > "Steve Young" <> wrote
    > > Thought I'd hitch a ride, since this hasn't been posted in a while :)

    > "Eric Gisin" <> wrote
    > The FAQ is pointless if it isn't posted weekly...

    well we still have at least six days to go

    time starts clicking after the 5th you know ;)

    Sent: January 05, 2004 8:41 PM
    From: <>
    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
    Subject: Important news For all webmaster,newsmaster

    Steve Young

    Steve Young, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    > "Eric Gisin" <> wrote

    > The FAQ is pointless if it isn't posted weekly...

    so how we doin? countin down the days

    still stuck to the ceiling?

    Steve Young, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Steve Young

    Steve Young Guest

    up here Glen, flyin high, though this is the stubby condensed one, it points to
    more meat :)

    Steve Young, Oct 18, 2003