    Run a virus scan, comes up with nothing. Windows XP Home, iQube external HDD
    enclosure. Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Tony in Oz, Sep 15, 2007

  2. Tony in Oz

    Mitch Guest

    In article <saFGi.947$>, Tony in Oz
    <> wrote:

    > Transferring MP3s from DVD to an external HDD. Got most of them, then it
    > gave me an error, that it couldn't read it due to corruption. Fair enough,
    > might be a ding in th surface or something. So I transfer a group over
    > beyond that point, and it tells me the file already exists, although I can't
    > see it on the HDD. So I go overwrite anyway, and I still can't see it. I
    > conduct a search on the external HDD for the file name, and it comes up with
    > nothing. I transfer again, and the search lights up when it finds the file.
    > Then the search box goes blank again as the files disappear. Very strange.
    > Run a virus scan, comes up with nothing. Windows XP Home, iQube external HDD
    > enclosure. Any thoughts?
    > Cheers

    Did you consider changing the destination folder?
    If you ever have such difficulty, you don't continue by using the same
    destination -- Windows gets in the way trying to help.
    Copy into two or more folders, you can inspect the suspect file in two
    locations. It may have to finish copying a file before it makes the
    file visible to you.

    There might be a problem in Windows using a temp file in a common
    location. You may want to make sure it is flushing the temps it uses
    when you have such problems.
    Mitch, Sep 15, 2007

  3. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <saFGi.947$>, Tony in Oz
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Transferring MP3s from DVD to an external HDD. Got most of them, then it
    >> gave me an error, that it couldn't read it due to corruption. Fair
    >> enough,
    >> might be a ding in th surface or something. So I transfer a group over
    >> beyond that point, and it tells me the file already exists, although I
    >> can't
    >> see it on the HDD. So I go overwrite anyway, and I still can't see it. I
    >> conduct a search on the external HDD for the file name, and it comes up
    >> with
    >> nothing. I transfer again, and the search lights up when it finds the
    >> file.
    >> Then the search box goes blank again as the files disappear. Very
    >> strange.
    >> Run a virus scan, comes up with nothing. Windows XP Home, iQube external
    >> HDD
    >> enclosure. Any thoughts?
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > Did you consider changing the destination folder?
    > If you ever have such difficulty, you don't continue by using the same
    > destination -- Windows gets in the way trying to help.
    > Copy into two or more folders, you can inspect the suspect file in two
    > locations. It may have to finish copying a file before it makes the
    > file visible to you.
    >
    > There might be a problem in Windows using a temp file in a common
    > location. You may want to make sure it is flushing the temps it uses
    > when you have such problems.

    Yeah, Thanks Mitch, I made a new destination folder and copied to that
    one without incident. I'm gonna try copying the last DVD to the new folder
    and see how we go. I will then attempt to copy the contents of the new
    folder to the original destination folder. If that doesn't work, I think I
    will dig out all the backup DVDs and copy them individually to the new
    destination folder then delete the old one. Unless you have a better idea?
    Cheers...
    Tony in Oz, Sep 15, 2007
  4. Tony in Oz

    who'sthat Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:54:00 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:

    >Transferring MP3s from DVD to an external HDD. Got most of them, then it
    >gave me an error, that it couldn't read it due to corruption. Fair enough,
    >might be a ding in th surface or something. So I transfer a group over
    >beyond that point, and it tells me the file already exists, although I can't
    >see it on the HDD. So I go overwrite anyway, and I still can't see it. I
    >conduct a search on the external HDD for the file name, and it comes up with
    >nothing. I transfer again, and the search lights up when it finds the file.
    >Then the search box goes blank again as the files disappear. Very strange.
    >Run a virus scan, comes up with nothing. Windows XP Home, iQube external HDD
    >enclosure. Any thoughts?
    > Cheers

    When you start copying, the names are part of a batch file that
    precedes the files themselves so the name is there without the file. I
    believe if you refresh the directory after the interruption the
    problem goes away.
    who'sthat, Sep 15, 2007
  5. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:54:00 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Transferring MP3s from DVD to an external HDD. Got most of them, then it
    >>gave me an error, that it couldn't read it due to corruption. Fair enough,
    >>might be a ding in th surface or something. So I transfer a group over
    >>beyond that point, and it tells me the file already exists, although I
    >>can't
    >>see it on the HDD. So I go overwrite anyway, and I still can't see it. I
    >>conduct a search on the external HDD for the file name, and it comes up
    >>with
    >>nothing. I transfer again, and the search lights up when it finds the
    >>file.
    >>Then the search box goes blank again as the files disappear. Very strange.
    >>Run a virus scan, comes up with nothing. Windows XP Home, iQube external
    >>HDD
    >>enclosure. Any thoughts?
    >> Cheers
    >>

    > When you start copying, the names are part of a batch file that
    > precedes the files themselves so the name is there without the file. I
    > believe if you refresh the directory after the interruption the
    > problem goes away.

    Not this time. Tried that first thing, but the files still didn't
    appear. I am at the moment trying to copy the new destination folder back
    across to the original, and it appears the same thing is going to happen. I
    think I am going to have to rebuild the whole music folder via the DVDs and
    delete the old one. I am a bit reluctant to transfer the old music folder
    over to the new one, in case it results in a new corrupted folder :)
    Cheers....
    Tony in Oz, Sep 15, 2007
  6. Tony in Oz

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:57:37 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:

    >"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 23:54:00 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Transferring MP3s from DVD to an external HDD. Got most of them, then it
    >>>gave me an error, that it couldn't read it due to corruption. Fair enough,
    >>>might be a ding in th surface or something. So I transfer a group over
    >>>beyond that point, and it tells me the file already exists, although I
    >>>can't
    >>>see it on the HDD. So I go overwrite anyway, and I still can't see it. I
    >>>conduct a search on the external HDD for the file name, and it comes up
    >>>with
    >>>nothing. I transfer again, and the search lights up when it finds the
    >>>file.
    >>>Then the search box goes blank again as the files disappear. Very strange.
    >>>Run a virus scan, comes up with nothing. Windows XP Home, iQube external
    >>>HDD
    >>>enclosure. Any thoughts?
    >>> Cheers
    >>>

    >> When you start copying, the names are part of a batch file that
    >> precedes the files themselves so the name is there without the file. I
    >> believe if you refresh the directory after the interruption the
    >> problem goes away.

    > Not this time. Tried that first thing, but the files still didn't
    >appear. I am at the moment trying to copy the new destination folder back
    >across to the original, and it appears the same thing is going to happen. I
    >think I am going to have to rebuild the whole music folder via the DVDs and
    >delete the old one. I am a bit reluctant to transfer the old music folder
    >over to the new one, in case it results in a new corrupted folder :)
    >Cheers....

    The files aren't there..just a tiny batch file with the file names.
    You closed Windows Explorer and refreshed the directory (F5) on the
    external HD and then tried again? Are you sure you did it in that
    order?
    who'sthat, Sep 15, 2007
  7. Tony in Oz

    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:57:37 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message

    >>> When you start copying, the names are part of a batch file that
    >>> precedes the files themselves so the name is there without the file. I
    >>> believe if you refresh the directory after the interruption the
    >>> problem goes away.

    >> Not this time. Tried that first thing, but the files still didn't
    >>appear. I am at the moment trying to copy the new destination folder back
    >>across to the original, and it appears the same thing is going to happen.
    >>think I am going to have to rebuild the whole music folder via the DVDs
    >>and
    >>delete the old one. I am a bit reluctant to transfer the old music folder
    >>over to the new one, in case it results in a new corrupted folder :)
    >>Cheers....
    >>

    > The files aren't there..just a tiny batch file with the file names.
    > You closed Windows Explorer and refreshed the directory (F5) on the
    > external HD and then tried again? Are you sure you did it in that
    > order?

    No, possibly not, but its sorted anyway. I copied the original folder
    across to the new one with the missing MP3's in it, with no drama. Then I
    deleted the original folder, and I now have the extra thousand or so MP3s
    that I was missing. Thanks for the help mate, much appreciated. Same to
    Mitch. Cheers tony
    Tony in Oz, Sep 15, 2007
  8. Tony in Oz

    Mitch Guest

    In article <REFGi.953$>, Tony in Oz
    <> wrote:

    > Yeah, Thanks Mitch, I made a new destination folder and copied to that
    > one without incident. I'm gonna try copying the last DVD to the new folder
    > and see how we go. I will then attempt to copy the contents of the new
    > folder to the original destination folder. If that doesn't work, I think I
    > will dig out all the backup DVDs and copy them individually to the new
    > destination folder then delete the old one. Unless you have a better idea?

    I don't understand what you need from the other backup discs; nor do I
    understand why you'd go through more than one to get a file.
    Mitch, Sep 15, 2007
  9. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <REFGi.953$>, Tony in Oz
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, Thanks Mitch, I made a new destination folder and copied to
    >> that
    >> one without incident. I'm gonna try copying the last DVD to the new
    >> folder
    >> and see how we go. I will then attempt to copy the contents of the new
    >> folder to the original destination folder. If that doesn't work, I think
    >> will dig out all the backup DVDs and copy them individually to the new
    >> destination folder then delete the old one. Unless you have a better
    >> idea?

    > I don't understand what you need from the other backup discs; nor do I
    > understand why you'd go through more than one to get a file.

    I had all my music files, (MP3s) which number about 7500, in a folder on
    my external HDD. The enclosure broke down, due to overheating, I believe.
    When I replaced it, I found that I was missing about a thousand other MP3s.
    They only went up to the "S"s. When I tried to replace them from my DVD
    backups, the problem began. Your suggestion to replace them into a new
    folder worked, which leads me to believe that "who'sthat"'s theory was
    correct. Once I had replaced all the missing ones into the new folder, I
    thought I would just try copying the files from the old folder over to the
    new one, which worked fine. If that had failed I would have had to pull out
    the other 6 or so back up DVDs and copy the original 6500 or so files from
    those over to the new file. Fortunately the first plan worked, and was much
    quicker and easier. I then deleted the old folder, and all is now good.
    Again, guys, thanks for your collective help. Much appreciated.
    Tony in Oz, Sep 17, 2007
  10. Tony in Oz

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:16:26 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:

    >"Mitch" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <REFGi.953$>, Tony in Oz
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yeah, Thanks Mitch, I made a new destination folder and copied to
    >>> that
    >>> one without incident. I'm gonna try copying the last DVD to the new
    >>> folder
    >>> and see how we go. I will then attempt to copy the contents of the new
    >>> folder to the original destination folder. If that doesn't work, I think
    >>> will dig out all the backup DVDs and copy them individually to the new
    >>> destination folder then delete the old one. Unless you have a better
    >>> idea?

    >> I don't understand what you need from the other backup discs; nor do I
    >> understand why you'd go through more than one to get a file.

    > I had all my music files, (MP3s) which number about 7500, in a folder on
    >my external HDD. The enclosure broke down, due to overheating, I believe.
    >When I replaced it, I found that I was missing about a thousand other MP3s.
    >They only went up to the "S"s. When I tried to replace them from my DVD
    >backups, the problem began. Your suggestion to replace them into a new
    >folder worked, which leads me to believe that "who'sthat"'s theory was
    >correct. Once I had replaced all the missing ones into the new folder, I
    >thought I would just try copying the files from the old folder over to the
    >new one, which worked fine. If that had failed I would have had to pull out
    >the other 6 or so back up DVDs and copy the original 6500 or so files from
    >those over to the new file. Fortunately the first plan worked, and was much
    >quicker and easier. I then deleted the old folder, and all is now good.
    >Again, guys, thanks for your collective help. Much appreciated.

    I guess going to college in the medical field is a waste, huh?
    who'sthat, Sep 17, 2007