Weird wireless connection problem...any ideas????

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by junkie_ebay@yahoo.com, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. Guest

    This isn't so much a microsoft problem, (at least I don't think it is)
    but I have been unable to get any help in alt.internet.wirless, so I
    figured I'd try here.

    I have a weird problem that started last night. I'm using the wireless
    connection on my laptop (Acer Aspire 9300). Everything was working
    great until last night.

    Now when my laptop is plugged into the wall for power, I lose my
    wireless connection instantly. I remove the power plug and my wireless
    connection comes back. I've tried a couple of things, reboot, reload
    the drivers, all with no help. When I'm running on batteries, I can
    see my wireless connection along with others from all my neighbors, but
    if I plug in the power, they all disappear and I see nothing.... I
    even plugged my my laptop in 2 to 3 feet from my wireless router and
    still nothing unless I remove power.

    Anyone ever seen a problem like this? Any ideas would be greatly
    appreciated, as its getting old only being able to surf the net for an
    hour at a time while running on my battery.

    Also one other thing, I don't think the power supply could be the
    problem, the laptop is only a month old, so at least I hope its not the
    problem....
    , Jan 16, 2007

  2. Hi

    Indeed, it is weird.

    I would first look at all the settings that involved power saving, Windows,
    and or, whatever propriety software is on, and make sure that there is No
    entry that disables Network/Wireless during charge up.

    In addition, Wireless Not working is an overall statement that does not lend
    to a specific solution.

    I.e. find out what in specific happened to the connection. I.e.

    Does the Wireless Card disappear from the Device Manager?

    What happens to the Network Connection Socket etc.?

    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 16, 2007

  3. junkie Guest

    Jack,
    Thanks for the response. From what I can tell, when I plug in the
    power it just loses the connection and when I bring up the "wireless
    network connection" window I can't see any networks, even when i
    refresh. I un-plug power and hit the "network refresh" and I can see
    my router and the neighbors. I have another laptop (my work one) and
    it works fine.

    I did check the device manager, and it shows "this device is working
    properly" in the device status window. This is the same when its
    plugged in or on battery.

    I also tried it when the battery is fully charged and when its low and
    get the same results. I even just pluged it in and removed the battery,
    hit refresh and nothing. Its almost seems like when power is applied,
    my network adapter is off-lined.

    I have a usb adapter, I'm gonna try to load next and see if that is
    able to connect with power, after that, I'm outta ideas....

    junkie, Jan 16, 2007
  4. junkie Guest

    I hate to respond to my own post, but your were right Jack, there is a
    "Acer ePower Managment" suite on the system. It had the wireless
    hardware turned on when on battery, then I plugged in power and it
    switched to off.

    Once again, thanks for your idea as to what to check...

    junkie, Jan 16, 2007