Weird wireless adapter behavior

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Spaceman Spiff, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. I have a Dell Latitude 600 laptop with a Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WL
    wireless adapter.
    For the last week or so, I have observed this strange behavior.
    If I reboot the laptop, the wireless adapter connects properly to my network
    and all is fine.
    However, any time after that, if I release and renew the connection, things
    get hosed.
    The wireless network is detected properly and the WEP key is accepted.
    The adapter then spends about 2-3 minutes in the "Acquiring network address"
    state.
    At the end of this time, I get a message saying that the adapter has limited
    or no connectivity.
    I click OK on this message and almost immediately I get another message
    saying that the connection was made.
    Running ipconfig/all shows that the adapter seems to have registered
    properly. It has an IP address and correctly lists the gateway, DHCP and DNS
    server IP addresses.
    The DHCP lease timestamps also look correct.
    However, now I do not have access to the network any more. I cannot ping the
    gateway or the DHCP server (let alone the DNS server).
    Nothing works to solve this problem other than rebooting again. I tried
    disabling and enabling the connection, disabling and enabling radio,
    uninstalling the adapter from Device Manager and then re-installing it, the
    Fn-F2 trick to disable and enable wireless on the laptop. No dice.
    I updated the device drivers for the adapter as well. Didn't make a
    difference.
    Ideas anyone? This is really irritating and frustrating for me.

    --
    Sunil
    Spaceman Spiff, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Spaceman Spiff

    tommitech

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Dell Wireless Issues

    I totally sympathise. I also have a new DELL Dimension with Wireless issues. The PC didnt come with a Wireless card so I bought a Wireless dongle. The PlusNet broadband came with a BT Voyager Wireless router which works fine. I can get onto the network, WEP completed etc. But mine also says "low / no connectivity" and wouldnt get on the network unless I specify an IP address. The Automatic IP address which is supposed to be enabled, wont let it connect to the wireless router, it gets stuck at "Acquiring network address" like yours...

    However it will connect onto the wireless network when I specify the IP address and gateway. Like yours I still cannot telnet, ping or use the router, but my wireless network screen says it is connected with good signal...

    What is that all about? Do you think it is a DELL issue? With my Wireless Laptop, I can use the router and broadband with no issues... So its not the broadband... But it is so frustrating...

    I have copied over all the settings from my laptop to my DELL desktop, and it still doesnt like it... The Wireless device says it is connected and working fine, and obviously the broadband is ok because I can use it on my laptop...

    Funny how they are both DELL's with the same/similar issue...
    tommitech, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Spaceman Spiff

    optikl Guest

    Spaceman Spiff wrote:

    > Nothing works to solve this problem other than rebooting again. I tried
    > disabling and enabling the connection, disabling and enabling radio,
    > uninstalling the adapter from Device Manager and then re-installing it, the
    > Fn-F2 trick to disable and enable wireless on the laptop. No dice.
    > I updated the device drivers for the adapter as well. Didn't make a
    > difference.
    > Ideas anyone? This is really irritating and frustrating for me.

    What about trying different channels? You have 11 to choose from.
    optikl, Mar 28, 2006
  4. Spaceman Spiff

    Socrates Guest

    Hi - if it works don't try and fix it!

    Why 'repair' it if there is nothing to repair?

    www.amw1.com/tips

    Socrates, Mar 28, 2006
  5. Socrates <> wrote:
    > Hi - if it works don't try and fix it!
    >
    > Why 'repair' it if there is nothing to repair?

    It stops working if I hibernate the laptop and then start it up again.

    ---
    Sunil

    --
    stay cool,
    Spaceman Spiff

    get your own damn grateful dead lyrics.
    http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/
    Spaceman Spiff, Mar 29, 2006
  6. Hi

    I've had this exact problem with IBM Thinkpads using Intel wifi cards.
    Laptop won't connect after hibernation (and sometimes, standby/sleep).

    Resolved thru driver upgrade.

    Hope that helps.

    Andrew Morgan, Apr 16, 2006