    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell
    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:18:18 GMT, "Patrick D. Rockwell" <>
    wrote:

    >Today, I used my mom's laptop. The screen was black, so I just turned it
    >off, then back on again. It uses
    >Windows ME. When it came back on, there was a dialogue box which said
    >something about power options,
    >I'm afraid I didn't read it. I just clicked OK. Now, when I shut down, the
    >computer offers a choice of
    >Shutdown or Restart. Standby seems to be missing. System restore can't help
    >me. Can anyone tell me how
    >to get the Standby option back? Thanks in advance.

    The power options are accessed in the BIOS, not Windows. During startup, access
    the BIOS, and enable the power options there.
    Unk, Jan 11, 2005

  3. Patrick D. Rockwell

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:18:18 GMT Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:

    > Today, I used my mom's laptop. The screen was black, so I just turned
    > it
    > off, then back on again. It uses
    > Windows ME. When it came back on, there was a dialogue box which said
    > something about power options,
    > I'm afraid I didn't read it. I just clicked OK. Now, when I shut down,
    > the
    > computer offers a choice of
    > Shutdown or Restart. Standby seems to be missing. System restore can't
    > help
    > me. Can anyone tell me how
    > to get the Standby option back? Thanks in advance.

    Chances are, it never had that option.
    It's a laptop. Unless you run it off a power supply, it's either shut down
    all the way or it's running.
    Standby mode is more for bigger units that utilize standard monitors.
    As it has an LCD, you really don't need the standby option.
    On my old IBM though, if you turned the lid down but did not lock it, then
    it would go on standby mode.
    Richard, Jan 11, 2005
  4. On 11 Jan 2005, Patrick D. Rockwell scribbled in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Today, I used my mom's laptop. The screen was black, so I just
    > turned it off, then back on again. It uses
    > Windows ME. When it came back on, there was a dialogue box which
    > said something about power options,
    > I'm afraid I didn't read it. I just clicked OK. Now, when I shut
    > down, the computer offers a choice of
    > Shutdown or Restart. Standby seems to be missing. System restore
    > can't help me. Can anyone tell me how
    > to get the Standby option back? Thanks in advance.

    Try looking in Control Panel>Power Options. It's pretty straight-
    forward.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-
    The Old Sourdough, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Patrick D. Rockwell

    The One Guest

    "Patrick D. Rockwell" <> wrote in message
    > Today, I used my mom's laptop. The screen was black, so I just turned it
    > off, then back on again. It uses
    > Windows ME.

    That explains a lot.....
    The One, Jan 11, 2005
  6. "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:18:18 GMT Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
    >
    >> Today, I used my mom's laptop. The screen was black, so I just turned
    >> it
    >> off, then back on again. It uses
    >> Windows ME. When it came back on, there was a dialogue box which said
    >> something about power options,
    >> I'm afraid I didn't read it. I just clicked OK. Now, when I shut down,
    >> the
    >> computer offers a choice of
    >> Shutdown or Restart. Standby seems to be missing. System restore can't
    >> help
    >> me. Can anyone tell me how
    >> to get the Standby option back? Thanks in advance.

    > Chances are, it never had that option.
    > It's a laptop. Unless you run it off a power supply, it's either shut down
    > all the way or it's running.
    > Standby mode is more for bigger units that utilize standard monitors.
    > As it has an LCD, you really don't need the standby option.
    > On my old IBM though, if you turned the lid down but did not lock it, then
    > it would go on standby mode.

    It DID have the Standby option. I've tried looking for the Bios. I even
    loaded Bios defaults. It\
    MUST be something that can be reversed.

    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell
    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jan 11, 2005
  7. "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:18:18 GMT, "Patrick D. Rockwell"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Today, I used my mom's laptop. The screen was black, so I just turned it
    >>off, then back on again. It uses
    >>Windows ME. When it came back on, there was a dialogue box which said
    >>something about power options,
    >>I'm afraid I didn't read it. I just clicked OK. Now, when I shut down, the
    >>computer offers a choice of
    >>Shutdown or Restart. Standby seems to be missing. System restore can't
    >>help
    >>me. Can anyone tell me how
    >>to get the Standby option back? Thanks in advance.

    > The power options are accessed in the BIOS, not Windows. During startup,
    > access
    > the BIOS, and enable the power options there.

    I tried that. I couldn't find anything that refered to the Standby mode, but
    I tried various other changes, including reloading the Bios defaults. This
    is a
    Gateway laptop with a Pheonix Bios (I don't remember what version). Does
    anyone
    know specifically what to look for to get back the Standby mode option?

    --
    -------------------------------
    Patrick D. Rockwell
    Patrick D. Rockwell, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Patrick D. Rockwell

    elaich Guest

    "Patrick D. Rockwell" <> wrote in news:7EVEd.8095
    $:

    > Does
    > anyone
    > know specifically what to look for to get back the Standby mode option?

    Settings>Control Panel>Power Options
    elaich, Jan 11, 2005