Weird.. this DVD has bars on left and right, as well as top and bottom...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jeffhanson7183@hotmail.com, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I just rented "A Civil Action" from netflix, and for some reason i
    think something is wrong with the disc. Let me explain... I have a
    standard TV, and when playing the movie on it, everything seems fine..
    just like a normal widescreen movie(bars on the top and bottom).. so im
    thinkin ok cool. I get on the plane yesterday and decide to throw the
    movie in my laptop to watch mid-flight. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron
    8500, with a 15 inch widescreen display. When the movie starts, the
    bars on the top and bottom are there, but im noticing there also their
    on the left and right. It basically gives the impression of a box in
    the middle, which is highly annoying. I figured maybe it was just the
    intro, as sometimes they do that for cinematic effect, but i skip
    halfway through.. and the bars are still there! i dont mind the bars on
    top and bottom, in fact i love them cuz being a movie buff i want the
    original aspect ratio preserved.. however i cant stand the bars on left
    and right. i have been watching movies for years and NEVER seen
    anything like this. I also dont get why it would be fine on my standard
    non-widescreen tv but not on my widescreen laptop display. Is it my
    laptop dvd player? or is there actually some rare format that boxes it
    in( im assuming its rare as ive seen hundreds of movies but none with
    this issue

    hope im not repeating existing topics or pissing anyone off, but i am
    just looking for some help

    thank!

    , Mar 24, 2006

  2. John Howells Guest

    <> wrote

    > I just rented "A Civil Action" from netflix, and for some reason i
    > think something is wrong with the disc. Let me explain... I have a
    > standard TV, and when playing the movie on it, everything seems fine..
    > just like a normal widescreen movie(bars on the top and bottom).. so im
    > thinkin ok cool. I get on the plane yesterday and decide to throw the
    > movie in my laptop to watch mid-flight. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron
    > 8500, with a 15 inch widescreen display. When the movie starts, the
    > bars on the top and bottom are there, but im noticing there also their
    > on the left and right. It basically gives the impression of a box in
    > the middle, which is highly annoying. I figured maybe it was just the
    > intro, as sometimes they do that for cinematic effect, but i skip
    > halfway through.. and the bars are still there! i dont mind the bars on
    > top and bottom, in fact i love them cuz being a movie buff i want the
    > original aspect ratio preserved.. however i cant stand the bars on left
    > and right. i have been watching movies for years and NEVER seen
    > anything like this. I also dont get why it would be fine on my standard
    > non-widescreen tv but not on my widescreen laptop display. Is it my
    > laptop dvd player? or is there actually some rare format that boxes it
    > in( im assuming its rare as ive seen hundreds of movies but none with
    > this issue

    I assume you have the US release of this disk.

    See the "Miniature "widescreen" ripoff?" thread in this group from
    yesterday. The answer is basically the same. You have come across an early
    non-anamorphic release of a WS film, so the picture is letterboxed in 4:3
    frame which is *NOT* enhanced for 16:9. Your laptop is handling it like 4:3
    material, by putting the black bars at the sides. If your player does not
    have a "zoom" mode you are stuck.

    FWIW, all regions other than the US have an anamorphic (enhanced for 16:9)
    release.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Mar 24, 2006