    always, nothing out of the ordinary.

    I have Windows 98, a Dell Dimension L466c computer.

    Cammie
    Cammie, Feb 7, 2004

  2. Cammie

    olfart Guest

    "Cammie" <> wrote in message
    news:UO9Vb.14998$...
    > Occasionally something weird will happen to my computer. One time I

    turned
    > it on and all of a sudden it said my printer was gone and wanted to
    > reinstall the new hardware for the printer that it detected.
    >
    > Another time I was missing a system file and it had to restore an older

    one.

    > I have the most updated McAfee Virus, I have a Spyware program that checks
    > for things added by outside internet sources, my computer comes up clean.
    >
    > Any reason for these mystery things happening? It is very occasional, and
    > the night before this happens I am just checking email and surfing like
    > always, nothing out of the ordinary.
    >
    > I have Windows 98, a Dell Dimension L466c computer.
    >
    > Cammie

    You're probably running Weirdo98
    olfart, Feb 7, 2004

  3. Cammie

    Cammie Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in
    > You're probably running Weirdo98

    That what so insightful and funny that I forgot to laugh.
    Cammie, Feb 8, 2004
  4. Cammie

    mark mandel Guest

    "Cammie" <> wrote in message
    > Occasionally something weird will happen to my computer. One time I

    turned
    > it on and all of a sudden it said my printer was gone and wanted to
    > reinstall the new hardware for the printer that it detected.
    >
    > Another time I was missing a system file and it had to restore an older

    one.

    > I have the most updated McAfee Virus, I have a Spyware program that checks
    > for things added by outside internet sources, my computer comes up clean.
    >
    > Any reason for these mystery things happening? It is very occasional, and
    > the night before this happens I am just checking email and surfing like
    > always, nothing out of the ordinary.
    >
    > I have Windows 98, a Dell Dimension L466c computer.
    >
    > Cammie

    The next time this happens go to the Device Manager and click next to the
    device(like the printer you mentioned)and see if there's a yellow
    exclamation mark next to it. There probably won't be but this could point
    to possible driver related issues. And do a system file check(Start to Run,
    type in SFC and have it update files or even restore missing or corrupt
    ones).

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Cammie

    -------> Ian Guest

    "Cammie" <> wrote:

    >> You're probably running Weirdo98

    >That what so insightful and funny that I forgot to laugh.

    It was a little funny, it made me laugh a bit. Don't worry though, I
    use Weirdo98SE.

    Have you run scandisk? One of my pcs went weird once after the
    cooling fan got blocked. I think the processor overheated. Got the
    blue screen, rebooted and everything seemed fine. Then periodically,
    odd things would happen, like all of my messages in my inbox in OE
    would be gone. Other odd things with OE. Scandisk appeared to fix
    any errors it found, but that system didn't run properly until I
    reformatted the HD, and re-installed everything. I reckon the file
    system got messed up.
    -------> Ian, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Cammie

    Cammie Guest

    "-------> Ian" <> wrote >>> Have you run
    scandisk?

    Yes, I ran scan disk. I usually try to do scan disk and also defragment my
    hard drive every other month to fix any errors resort used and freed up
    space. Most of the time the puter is fine, just these occasional strange
    things happen that never did before.

    Cammie
    Cammie, Feb 8, 2004
  7. Cammie

    -------> Ian Guest

    "Cammie" <> wrote:

    >"-------> Ian" <> wrote >>> Have you run
    >scandisk?
    >

    >Yes, I ran scan disk. I usually try to do scan disk and also defragment my
    >hard drive every other month to fix any errors resort used and freed up
    >space. Most of the time the puter is fine, just these occasional strange
    >things happen that never did before.
    >
    >Cammie

    Has your system crashed at all recently? I think that is what messed
    up my file system. Otherwise, I'm not sure... hardware problem?
    -------> Ian, Feb 8, 2004