Weird things happening to Windows Explorer.....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daveyboy, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Daveyboy

    Daveyboy Guest

    Hi,

    I just downloaded and installed SP2 for XP from MS.....Now when I have
    windows explorer open and try to click on one certain folder (or its
    subfolder) I get a window with the following message:

    Explorer.exe application error
    The instruction at "0x02073397" referrenced memory at "0x00000000".
    The memory coul not be "written"

    Click on OK to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program

    When I click on either of those choices the mouse becomes useless - it
    moves but won't be effective for about 30 seconds. Then I lose the
    quick launch icons on the taskbar and must reset them ...

    The specific folder that seems to cause this to happen was a hidden
    one..........however I have un-hidden (if that's the word) and the
    folder still is causing this frustration..........

    Anyone help? Please!!
    Daveyboy, Sep 2, 2004

  2. Daveyboy

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:08:27 GMT, Daveyboy <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I just downloaded and installed SP2 for XP from MS.....Now when I have
    >windows explorer open and try to click on one certain folder (or its
    >subfolder) I get a window with the following message:
    >
    >Explorer.exe application error
    >The instruction at "0x02073397" referrenced memory at "0x00000000".
    >The memory coul not be "written"
    >
    >Click on OK to terminate the program
    >Click on CANCEL to debug the program
    >
    >When I click on either of those choices the mouse becomes useless - it
    >moves but won't be effective for about 30 seconds. Then I lose the
    >quick launch icons on the taskbar and must reset them ...
    >
    >The specific folder that seems to cause this to happen was a hidden
    >one..........however I have un-hidden (if that's the word) and the
    >folder still is causing this frustration..........
    >
    >Anyone help? Please!!

    Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
    Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
    under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
    check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
    click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    Unk, Sep 2, 2004