    sound card or my speakers? Again, I can provide any additional detail you
    need and thank you in advance.

    Jamie

    Jamie, Aug 5, 2007

  2. Jamie

    sandy58 Guest

    On Aug 5, 5:39 am, "Jamie" <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running XP sp2 (and can provide anymore system details upon request--not
    > sure what else I need to give for a problem like this) and having a really
    > annoying problem with the sound. On a few programs that play sound, I have
    > no trouble whatsoever, they're fine. But on 90% of things, I have a static
    > that plays at the same time as music or whatever. Itunes is especially bad
    > (and it also skips a bit sometimes), as is Windows Media Player and even
    > just background noises, if that makes any sense. If I leave the volume on
    > while I'm using Windows Explorer, there's a loud popping or clicking noise
    > when I load a new folder and it sometimes does this when I use Firefox. And
    > to be able to hear music enough to listen to it, I have to have the speakers
    > turned up almost all the way. So my question--is this a problem with my
    > sound card or my speakers? Again, I can provide any additional detail you
    > need and thank you in advance.
    >
    > Jamie

    Check in "device manager">"sounds, video & games" for any faults. (wee
    yellow signs :)
    Reload your sound card drivers.
    Open "volume control" and check there too. ie:all properties open &
    only "mic" checked/ticked.
    If you have a slot-in (as different to integral MB sound card) sound
    card, slip it out of the slot & replace it.
    Do the same with all sound connectors to m'board, cd/dvd drives.
    If this makes no difference you have to consider your software, codecs
    etc then your speakers but speakers don't sound like they are done.
    Good luck, Jamie
    Repost if you need codecs. :)

    sandy58, Aug 5, 2007

  3. Jamie

    babaloo Guest

    Tic tic tic: something may be causing electrical interference with the
    digital stream.
    If this is it you can hear the same thing at times with interference in
    digital phones (the new Iphone is supposedly extremely susceptible to this).
    If this is a new problem and you have motherboard based sound all is not
    lost.
    Make sure all boards, memory chips etc are firmly seated.
    Make sure all cable are snugly inserted and not hitting against anything,
    like a fan.
    On the other hand, have you tried using other speakers or earphones to make
    sure its not a problem at that end?

    babaloo, Aug 5, 2007
  4. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Sorry I'm so long responding! Real life tends to get in the way
    sometimes...

    *Check in "device manager">"sounds, video & games" for any faults. (wee
    yellow signs :)

    Nothin'.

    *Reload your sound card drivers.

    Not sure I know how to do that. ::feels really stupid::

    *Open "volume control" and check there too. ie:all properties open & only
    "mic" checked/ticked.

    Everything looks all right there, too.

    *If you have a slot-in (as different to integral MB sound card) sound card,
    slip it out of the slot & replace it.

    It's a MB sound card.

    *Do the same with all sound connectors to m'board, cd/dvd drives.

    Can do, but tomorrow. ;)

    *If this makes no difference you have to consider your software, codecs etc
    then your speakers but speakers don't sound like they are done.

    I went ahead and got new speakers; the old ones were a set of cheapies
    (should've tried that before I bugged y'all, I guess--sorry). Sounds
    excellent, no more static or popping, but if I'm listening to music (seems
    like it only does this on iTunes) and I try to load a page on Firefox, the
    music skips a lot. It'll also do that when I scroll on a page, too, and a
    few other random times.

    *Good luck, Jamie

    Thank you! :D

    *Repost if you need codecs. :)

    I think I need codecs. When I tried to update them through device manager,
    it said it couldn't find anything better than what I have installed.

    Thank you again, your help is greatly appreciated!

    Jamie

    Jamie, Aug 8, 2007
  5. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Again, sorry I'm so long responding. This past week or so's been very
    hectic for me.

    *Tic tic tic: something may be causing electrical interference with the
    digital stream. If this is it you can hear the same thing at times with
    interference in digital phones (the new Iphone is supposedly extremely
    susceptible to this).

    It's not so much a ticking as a staticky popping. As I told the other
    responder to my question, my old speakers were crap and I replaced them (as
    I should've done before I bugged you nice folks). I've got a much higher
    quality of sound, needless to say, and the static and popping is gone, but
    my sound still skips a lot. I tried updating the drivers and codecs, but I
    had all the most current stuff already.

    *If this is a new problem and you have motherboard based sound all is not
    lost.

    Yes, I have MB-based sound. I guess I should've mentioned that before; my
    apologies.

    *Make sure all boards, memory chips etc are firmly seated.
    *Make sure all cable are snugly inserted and not hitting against anything,
    like a fan.

    I'll have to do that tomorrow, though I'm kind of thinking that the
    skipping's caused by something else, maybe? Would something like that be
    caused by not enough RAM? It seems to only do it when I'm doing something
    at the same time as playing music or whatever. iTunes is the worst for it;
    it skips like mad if I try to load a new page on Firefox or to scroll the
    page. It also does it at other random moments, but it's usually during some
    action I'm trying to take.

    *On the other hand, have you tried using other speakers or earphones to make
    sure its not a problem at that end?

    Yes, like I said above, I should've tried that first. I just didn't want to
    have to go out and buy speakers if there was nothing wrong with the old
    ones. But then I remembered how little I paid for the old ones, as well as
    how long I'd had them, and figured it was a worthwhile investment.

    Thank you SO much,

    Jamie

    Jamie, Aug 8, 2007