    Joe Arnold
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Easy's gettin' harder everyday

    PhotoMan, Nov 14, 2007

  2. PhotoMan

    dadiOH Guest

    PhotoMan wrote:
    > Asked in another group yesterday morning, but no replies, so
    > thought I'd try here.
    >
    > Sometimes OK, sometimes not, (seemingly randomly) search results
    > come up without capitalization. Also, whether I use 'All or part of
    > the file name' or 'A word or phrase in the file' it sometimes
    > brings up far too many results, such as: If the search term for a
    > music folder has the words 'The Beatles' everything with the word
    > 'The' also comes up. It's really frustrating and I've done all I
    > can think of to correct it. This is XP Home SP2, with all updates
    > current, loaded about a month ago on a self-built computer. Any
    > help will be GREATLY appreciated.

    Use quotation marks. "beatles", eg. Or, "The Beatles play". Or,
    "the beatles*...Etcetera.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Nov 14, 2007

  3. PhotoMan

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:00:41 -0600, PhotoMan wrote:

    > Asked in another group yesterday morning, but no replies, so thought I'd try
    > here.
    >
    > Sometimes OK, sometimes not, (seemingly randomly) search results come up
    > without capitalization. Also, whether I use 'All or part of the file name'
    > or 'A word or phrase in the file' it sometimes brings up far too many
    > results, such as: If the search term for a music folder has the words 'The
    > Beatles' everything with the word 'The' also comes up. It's really
    > frustrating and I've done all I can think of to correct it. This is XP Home
    > SP2, with all updates current, loaded about a month ago on a self-built
    > computer. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Joe Arnold
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > Easy's gettin' harder everyday

    because search engines, including those inside programs, generally see the
    space as a word seperator, not as part of the term. even if you include the
    quotes.
    To prove my point, I googled first for "the beatles" and it returned 5.1
    million hits. Without the quotes, it returned 7.5 million.

    As the engine does not know what you mean by the phrase, it will lock on
    any word within that phrase. Then to save time, rather than be accurate,
    lists the result as a "hit".

    In a search program I was working on, I found that in order for "why" to
    show before "why do I", I had to ensure there was a space after "why", so
    that it became "why ". Then it shows the list correctly.

    The more words you include, the more hits will be generated on each and
    every word and probable combinations. It's not necessarily a "weird"
    result, as it is the way it is designed to respond.

    richard, Nov 15, 2007
  4. PhotoMan

    PhotoMan Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > PhotoMan wrote:
    >> Asked in another group yesterday morning, but no replies, so
    >> thought I'd try here.
    >>
    >> Sometimes OK, sometimes not, (seemingly randomly) search results
    >> come up without capitalization. Also, whether I use 'All or part of
    >> the file name' or 'A word or phrase in the file' it sometimes
    >> brings up far too many results, such as: If the search term for a
    >> music folder has the words 'The Beatles' everything with the word
    >> 'The' also comes up. It's really frustrating and I've done all I
    >> can think of to correct it. This is XP Home SP2, with all updates
    >> current, loaded about a month ago on a self-built computer. Any
    >> help will be GREATLY appreciated.

    > Use quotation marks. "beatles", eg. Or, "The Beatles play". Or,
    > "the beatles*...Etcetera.

    Thanks for the reply!

    The frustrating part is that it doesn't behave the same from one search to
    another. If I type The Beatles (no asterisks) all of only their songs come
    up. BUT at other times the whole list is lower case, other times with proper
    capitalization. Further, sometimes all their songs come up as well as any
    others containing 'the' come up. I never know how it will work.

    PhotoMan, Nov 15, 2007
  5. PhotoMan

    PhotoMan Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:00:41 -0600, PhotoMan wrote:
    >
    >> Asked in another group yesterday morning, but no replies, so thought I'd
    >> try
    >> here.
    >>
    >> Sometimes OK, sometimes not, (seemingly randomly) search results come up
    >> without capitalization. Also, whether I use 'All or part of the file
    >> name'
    >> or 'A word or phrase in the file' it sometimes brings up far too many
    >> results, such as: If the search term for a music folder has the words
    >> 'The
    >> Beatles' everything with the word 'The' also comes up. It's really
    >> frustrating and I've done all I can think of to correct it. This is XP
    >> SP2, with all updates current, loaded about a month ago on a self-built
    >> computer. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Joe Arnold
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >> Easy's gettin' harder everyday

    > because search engines, including those inside programs, generally see the
    > space as a word seperator, not as part of the term. even if you include
    > the
    > quotes.
    > To prove my point, I googled first for "the beatles" and it returned 5.1
    > million hits. Without the quotes, it returned 7.5 million.
    >
    > As the engine does not know what you mean by the phrase, it will lock on
    > any word within that phrase. Then to save time, rather than be accurate,
    > lists the result as a "hit".
    >
    > In a search program I was working on, I found that in order for "why" to
    > show before "why do I", I had to ensure there was a space after "why", so
    > that it became "why ". Then it shows the list correctly.
    >
    > The more words you include, the more hits will be generated on each and
    > every word and probable combinations. It's not necessarily a "weird"
    > result, as it is the way it is designed to respond.

    On another computer if I search for a song title such as 'Where Did You Go'
    all I have to enter is 'wh di yo' and I get the exact results I expected -
    all songs with those letter combinations, by all artists with that song. The
    problem machine just kinda farts and returns weird things.

    PhotoMan, Nov 15, 2007