Weird Router Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Confused, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Confused

    Confused Guest

    Hi all!

    I am using a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and am experiencing a
    perplexing problem with my e-mail.

    When I try to download my e-mail in Outlook, I receive an error number
    0x80040900 and it says it is unable to locate my server on the network,
    suggesting that it is offline. If I connect my modem to my computer
    directly, I can access e-mail fine, but when I am connected through the
    router I have no luck.

    I can not receive e-mails through any of three different e-mail accounts. I
    am running Windows XP Pro, and use Outlook 2003. I have all the latest
    updates for Windows and Office.

    I have already tried resetting the router, unplugging it and reconnecting
    it, updating to the most recent firmware, and resetting the router to
    default configuration.

    Any ideas on how to fix this? It is a huge pain to have to plug the modem
    directly into the PC each time.

    Thanks a ton!

    Confused, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Confused

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Confused wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I am using a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and am experiencing a
    > perplexing problem with my e-mail.
    >
    > When I try to download my e-mail in Outlook, I receive an error number
    > 0x80040900 and it says it is unable to locate my server on the network,
    > suggesting that it is offline. If I connect my modem to my computer
    > directly, I can access e-mail fine, but when I am connected through the
    > router I have no luck.
    >
    > I can not receive e-mails through any of three different e-mail accounts. I
    > am running Windows XP Pro, and use Outlook 2003. I have all the latest
    > updates for Windows and Office.
    >
    > I have already tried resetting the router, unplugging it and reconnecting
    > it, updating to the most recent firmware, and resetting the router to
    > default configuration.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to fix this? It is a huge pain to have to plug the modem
    > directly into the PC each time.

    At the point that the machine cannot retrieve the email, what IP(s) does
    the computer have when you enter IPconfig /all at the DOS Command Prompt?

    Can you Ping the ISP from the computer through the router?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Confused

    Terry Kaiser Guest

    You have to get online and into the router settings. From there, change
    the router configuration online to basic settings. You probably have a
    pnp problem, is set up to collect your email under a configuration that
    your browser cannot decipher. See your instruction booklet for the
    online connect.

    Terry Kaiser, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Confused

    Elader Guest

    Hi!

    Thanks for the response. I was out of town for a bit, but here is the info
    you wanted.

    My computer has an IP of 192.168.1.25.

    I am not able to ping the ISP server when I am receiving these errors.
    Oddly enough, I am not able to ping microsoft.com! I tried pinging
    microsoft.com and lost all of the packets, even though I could browse the
    web site with no problem. I can ping google.com and linksys.com, but
    microsoft.com and cnn.com fail.

    I am able to get a ping response from the outgoing mail server, but not the
    incoming one.

    This is really starting to bug me. Any suggestions?

    Thanks again!

    Elader, Aug 15, 2006