    backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
    won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
    no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    Scribner, Nov 19, 2008

  2. Scribner

    Dan C Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:31:23 -0800, Scribner wrote:

    > I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32.

    <snip the usual Windoze problem descriptions>

    > Any suggestions?

    Don't run that crap "OS".

    Try this: http://www.slackware.com

    Dan C, Nov 19, 2008

  3. Scribner

    Guest

    Scribner <> wrote:

    > When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
    >running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
    >problem and the computer starts up again.

    Guess's:

    Start | Run <type in>
    powercfg.cpl
    <enter>

    Advanced and see what you have when you press the button.

    My bios has options of what to do after a crash (mine is: stay off)
    yours might be: reboot (if you have this option)

    You might turn off USB in the BIOS, the OS takes care of USB and
    doesn't need to be activated in the BIOS - unless you have USB devices
    that are needed to boot up with (USB Keyboard).
    --

    Fish'n
    http://funniez.net/Latest/bloody-red-sea.html

    , Nov 19, 2008
  4. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:12:25 -0800, wrote:

    > Scribner <> wrote:
    >
    >> When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
    >>running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
    >>problem and the computer starts up again.

    >Guess's:
    >
    >Start | Run <type in>
    >powercfg.cpl
    ><enter>
    >
    >Advanced and see what you have when you press the button.
    >
    >My bios has options of what to do after a crash (mine is: stay off)
    >yours might be: reboot (if you have this option)
    >
    >You might turn off USB in the BIOS, the OS takes care of USB and
    >doesn't need to be activated in the BIOS - unless you have USB devices
    >that are needed to boot up with (USB Keyboard).

    Thanks for the help. My button setting is to shut down. And I do
    have a USB keyboard.

    Scribner, Nov 19, 2008
  5. Scribner

    chuckcar Guest

    Scribner <> wrote in

    > I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
    > drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
    > system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
    > the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
    > and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
    > Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing
    > the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking
    > feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on
    > re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and
    > reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
    > annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
    > running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
    > problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
    > BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
    > down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
    > backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
    > won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
    > no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 20, 2008
  6. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Scribner <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
    >> drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
    >> system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
    >> the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
    >> and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
    >> Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing
    >> the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking
    >> feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on
    >> re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and
    >> reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
    >> annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
    >> running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
    >> problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
    >> BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
    >> down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
    >> backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
    >> won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
    >> no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >>

    >The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

    2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
    into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner

    I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
    USB died.

    Scribner, Nov 20, 2008
  7. On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:38:12 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Scribner <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
    >>> drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
    >>> system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
    >>> the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
    >>> and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
    >>> Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    >>> feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>> reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
    >>> annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
    >>> running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
    >>> problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
    >>> BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
    >>> down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
    >>> backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
    >>> won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
    >>> no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    You fucked up the BIOS when you flashed it. I assume you made a backup of
    your BIOS and know wtf you're doing so you can roll it back to the
    original config?

    Typical:"everything worked until I started fiddling about with shit".

    Either get yourself some pcs to experiment with that you can afford to
    break and FUBAR or continue to live in frustration.

    Good luck fixin things.

    http://www.mykeru.com

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 20, 2008
  8. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:39:54 -0700, §ñühwØ£f <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:38:12 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
    >following claims :
    >
    >> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Scribner <> wrote in

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>>

    >You fucked up the BIOS when you flashed it. I assume you made a backup of
    >your BIOS and know wtf you're doing so you can roll it back to the
    >original config?
    >
    >Typical:"everything worked until I started fiddling about with shit".
    >
    >Either get yourself some pcs to experiment with that you can afford to
    >break and FUBAR or continue to live in frustration.
    >
    >Good luck fixin things.

    It is NOT the BIOS. If it was, the problem would exist when I plug in
    the XP drive.

    Scribner, Nov 20, 2008
  9. Scribner

    chuckcar Guest

    Scribner <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Scribner <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
    >>> drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
    >>> system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
    >>> the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
    >>> and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
    >>> Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing
    >>> the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking
    >>> feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on
    >>> re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and
    >>> reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
    >>> annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
    >>> running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
    >>> problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
    >>> BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
    >>> down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
    >>> backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
    >>> won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
    >>> no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    >>>

    >>The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

    > 2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
    > into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner

    In order of likelyhood: The Hauppague, The hub the camera. No scanner/all in one printer?

    > I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
    > USB died.

    Well, that was a bit drastic. Of course it was turned off. That's what you
    did. Why don't you try just running the keyboard and mouse and then add
    one at a time until you get the blue screen again? I seriously doubt if your
    bios update is the problem. They're a drastic measure that leave the computer
    not even able to POST much less boot if you get it wrong. Generally the *last*
    thing you try.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Scribner

    chuckcar Guest

    Gaius Baltar <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:38:12 -0800, Scribner <>
    > wrote:
    >>>The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

    >>2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
    >>into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner
    >>
    >>I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
    >>USB died.

    > I think you need to enable USB but not USB legacy - otherwise in
    > Windows there will be no USB. legacy USB give support outside Windows
    > e.g. from DOS

    Actually safe mode too.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 21, 2008
  11. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 23:44:55 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Scribner <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Scribner <> wrote in

    >>>The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

    >> 2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
    >> into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner
    >>

    >In order of likelyhood: The Hauppague, The hub the camera. No scanner/all in one printer?
    >
    >> I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
    >> USB died.

    >Well, that was a bit drastic. Of course it was turned off. That's what you
    >did. Why don't you try just running the keyboard and mouse and then add
    >one at a time until you get the blue screen again? I seriously doubt if your
    >bios update is the problem. They're a drastic measure that leave the computer
    >not even able to POST much less boot if you get it wrong. Generally the *last*
    >thing you try.

    I unplugged all things USB except for my trackball. No difference. I
    reloaded my OS from backup predating the problem. No difference. But
    the system will shut down when I run my XP diagnostic drive. So it
    isn't the M/B or the perpherals. It also isn't the new updates. It
    shouldn't be Vista. Maybe the SATA drive that Vista is installed
    upon?

    Scribner, Nov 21, 2008
  12. On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:26:16 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > I unplugged all things USB except for my trackball. No difference. I
    > reloaded my OS from backup predating the problem. No difference. But
    > the system will shut down when I run my XP diagnostic drive. So it
    > isn't the M/B or the perpherals. It also isn't the new updates. It
    > shouldn't be Vista. Maybe the SATA drive that Vista is installed
    > upon?

    You're hosed mate. Yer BIOS is teh fu><0red.
    last ditch effort...try "failsafe defaults" in the BIOS and see if you get
    some satisfaction.

    HTH

    http://www.mykeru.com

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 21, 2008
  13. On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:10:41 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > It is NOT the BIOS. If it was, the problem would exist when I plug in
    > the XP drive.

    Sure...mheh...

    http://www.mykeru.com

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 21, 2008
  14. Scribner

    APLer Guest

    Scribner <> wrote in

    >>> 2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
    >>> into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner
    >>>

    >>In order of likelyhood: The Hauppague, The hub the camera. No
    >>scanner/all in one printer?
    >>
    >>> I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
    >>> USB died.

    >>Well, that was a bit drastic. Of course it was turned off. That's what
    >>you did. Why don't you try just running the keyboard and mouse and then
    >>add one at a time until you get the blue screen again? I seriously doubt
    >>if your bios update is the problem. They're a drastic measure that leave
    >>the computer not even able to POST much less boot if you get it wrong.
    >>Generally the *last* thing you try.

    > I unplugged all things USB except for my trackball. No difference.

    No difference meaning you still have the error or you don't get it?

    > reloaded my OS from backup predating the problem. No difference.

    Same question.

    > But
    > the system will shut down when I run my XP diagnostic drive. So it
    > isn't the M/B or the perpherals. It also isn't the new updates. It
    > shouldn't be Vista.

    That's what they *all* say<g>...

    > Maybe the SATA drive that Vista is installed
    > upon?

    Look. Just figure out *which* piece of hardware it fouls on and report
    back. Forget about XP. Just work with Vista. Finally, don't mess with trying
    anything else, just do what is requested and report back. You'll only complicate
    matters.

    APLer, Nov 21, 2008
  15. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:16:35 -0700, §ñühwØ£f <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:10:41 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
    >following claims :
    >

    >> It is NOT the BIOS. If it was, the problem would exist when I plug in
    >> the XP drive.

    >Sure...mheh...

    Well, I fixed it. Since my USB ports are way in the back, I have a
    hub on the side for easy access. But I never use it. I pulled it out
    and my problem went away. I plugged it back on after a re-boot,
    re-installed the drivers, and no more problem. I'm guessing that it
    was just a slightly loose connection.

    Scribner, Nov 21, 2008
  16. Scribner

    Guest

    Scribner <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:16:35 -0700, §ñühwØ£f <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:10:41 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
    >>following claims :
    >>

    >>> It is NOT the BIOS. If it was, the problem would exist when I plug in
    >>> the XP drive.

    >>Sure...mheh...

    >Well, I fixed it. Since my USB ports are way in the back, I have a
    >hub on the side for easy access. But I never use it. I pulled it out
    >and my problem went away. I plugged it back on after a re-boot,
    >re-installed the drivers, and no more problem. I'm guessing that it
    >was just a slightly loose connection.

    See how that works, §ñühwØ£f claims it's your BIOS a few times, you
    get angry cause you know better, looking harder at the problem; You
    fix it...

    --

    One lucky guy.
    http://frinko.com/the-greatest-wedding-in-the-whole-world.html

    , Nov 22, 2008
  17. On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:54:58 -0800, Pennywise aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > Scribner <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:16:35 -0700, §ñühwØ£f <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:10:41 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
    >>>following claims :

    >>>Sure...mheh...

    >>Well, I fixed it. Since my USB ports are way in the back, I have a
    >>hub on the side for easy access. But I never use it. I pulled it out
    >>and my problem went away. I plugged it back on after a re-boot,
    >>re-installed the drivers, and no more problem. I'm guessing that it
    >>was just a slightly loose connection.

    > See how that works, §ñühwØ£f claims it's your BIOS a few times, you
    > get angry cause you know better, looking harder at the problem; You
    > fix it...

    Well if anyone else needs pissin off...you just send em my way, ok?

    <nods>

    http://www.mykeru.com

    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 22, 2008