    looks as if it is artifacting. I know it is a weird problem but I can't
    figure it out. If you need any more info just ask.

    Karey Morgan

    karey, Mar 4, 2004

  2. In article <GeJ1c.247$>,
    says...

    >I have an uncle that has windows 98SE. I will try and explain this the
    >best I can. The word start on the start button becomes scrambled and when
    >you click on the start button where the title of windows is (vertically)
    >looks as if it is artifacting. I know it is a weird problem but I can't
    >figure it out. If you need any more info just ask.

    Could be a number of things, including video card problems, corrupt files or
    something recently installed. When did this start? Did he install anything
    or change anything just before it happened? Was there any other event that
    happened, like a sudden shutdown or power failure?

    Gary E

    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    | (remove NOSPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

    Gary A. Edelstein, Mar 4, 2004

  3. karey

    °Mike° Guest

    If you are having trouble figuring it out, with the
    problem right there in front of you, just think how
    hard it is for people who have no idea what you
    are talking about. I will take a stab and ask if
    this is possibly a monitor (bad screen) problem?
    You really need to describe the symptoms better,
    if possible; the more details, the better.

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:58:14 GMT, in
    <GeJ1c.247$>
    karey scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 4, 2004
  4. karey

    Rodney Kelp Guest

    But do you get the start menu? How about if you hit the windows key?
    Some things don't need figuring out. If it works, accept it.

    "karey " <> wrote in message
    > I have an uncle that has windows 98SE. I will try and explain this the
    > best I can. The word start on the start button becomes scrambled and when
    > you click on the start button where the title of windows is (vertically)
    > looks as if it is artifacting. I know it is a weird problem but I can't
    > figure it out. If you need any more info just ask.
    >
    > Karey Morgan

    ---

    Rodney Kelp, Mar 5, 2004
  5. karey

    karey Guest

    Video card driver has been ripped and reinstalled. secondly it is fine for
    about 30 minutes and this will happen even if no one is on the computer.
    The start menu does come up but like i said it is all scrambled and the
    vertical portion that displays "Windows X" looks as if it is artifacting. I
    thought about the video card however this is the only thing that is
    affected. Hitting the windows key has nothing to do with it. It can be
    fine and then just go to this strange state. I think the corrupt files is
    the most likely culprit or for some reason the registry is not holding it's
    values. If it was a bad monitor I wouldn't have even made the post.

    In any even, I really just put this up to see if anyone has ever come across
    such a problem as weird as it is. I'm definitely going to tell him just to
    leave it be as long as it works.

    Thanks for the help fellas

    karey, Mar 5, 2004