    I have checked with my isp and they have checked and say my connection
    looks good.

    this is strange has anyone heard of anything like this?
    Robin Halligan, Dec 31, 2010

  2. Robin Halligan

    Malone Guest

    On 31-Dec-2010 11:35 pm, Robin Halligan wrote:

    > I have a weird problem on my network at home
    >
    > I have 2 computers on the network
    > 1 win 7
    > 1 win xp (
    > and a D-link dsl 504T modem/router
    >
    > when the internet is up and running, i can connect (and so can my wife) to
    > browser and surf, read mail/news groups and windows live the wife can fire
    > up wow and vent and we can still browse ect.
    >
    > at random times from 2 mins to an hour plus the router seems to die though
    > the wife can still play and vent but we cannot establish any new
    > connections and to fix it we need to shut down my puter and the router and
    > reboot
    >
    > I have checked with my isp and they have checked and say my connection
    > looks good.
    >
    > this is strange has anyone heard of anything like this?

    I've heard of similar problems with that router. I'd suggest

    1) Factory (hard) reset of the router
    2) Make sure you then set up the router using Internet Explorer. In my
    experience that router just doesn't like having settings put in or
    changed using Firefox.
    Malone, Dec 31, 2010

  3. Robin Halligan

    Dogboy Guest

    > this is strange has anyone heard of anything like this?

    A number of times, almost always a new router fixes it. Although you
    can try a hard reset too.
    Dogboy, Dec 31, 2010
  4. Robin Halligan

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Robin Halligan says...

    > I have a weird problem on my network at home
    >
    > I have 2 computers on the network
    > 1 win 7
    > 1 win xp (
    > and a D-link dsl 504T modem/router
    >
    > when the internet is up and running, i can connect (and so can my wife) to
    > browser and surf, read mail/news groups and windows live the wife can fire
    > up wow and vent and we can still browse ect.
    >
    > at random times from 2 mins to an hour plus the router seems to die though
    > the wife can still play and vent but we cannot establish any new
    > connections and to fix it we need to shut down my puter and the router and
    > reboot
    >
    > I have checked with my isp and they have checked and say my connection
    > looks good.
    >
    > this is strange has anyone heard of anything like this?

    In addition to the reset function (you'll need your ISP logon info if
    you do that), you could try updating the firmware.

    To try and determine the cause, I'd recommend you check to see if it
    supports a logging. And if so, turn it on and log everything. It may
    show up the cause after the next failure.

    As also mentioned by others, the modem could be failing - might be up
    for a new one.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jan 1, 2011
  5. Robin Halligan

    Richard Guest

    On 31/12/2010 11:35 p.m., Robin Halligan wrote:

    > I have a weird problem on my network at home
    >
    > I have 2 computers on the network
    > 1 win 7
    > 1 win xp (
    > and a D-link dsl 504T modem/router
    >
    > when the internet is up and running, i can connect (and so can my wife) to
    > browser and surf, read mail/news groups and windows live the wife can fire
    > up wow and vent and we can still browse ect.
    >
    > at random times from 2 mins to an hour plus the router seems to die though
    > the wife can still play and vent but we cannot establish any new
    > connections and to fix it we need to shut down my puter and the router and
    > reboot
    >
    > I have checked with my isp and they have checked and say my connection
    > looks good.
    >
    > this is strange has anyone heard of anything like this?

    Constantly happened when I had a dlink.

    Aging problems with UDP sockets made its nat table fill and no new
    connections would happen. Same thing happened on my old zyxel but its
    table was much larger so would be hours before it would happen.

    Turning of DHT and other UDP based stuff in utorrent sorted it for a
    friend with the same problem. Putting the torrenting machine as the DMZ
    is another solution as that means less tracking is done on the router
    Richard, Jan 1, 2011
  6. On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 01:06:07 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > On 31/12/2010 11:35 p.m., Robin Halligan wrote:
    >>

    >> I have a weird problem on my network at home
    >>
    >> I have 2 computers on the network
    >> 1 win 7
    >> 1 win xp (
    >> and a D-link dsl 504T modem/router
    >>
    >> when the internet is up and running, i can connect (and so can my wife) to
    >> browser and surf, read mail/news groups and windows live the wife can fire
    >> up wow and vent and we can still browse ect.
    >>
    >> at random times from 2 mins to an hour plus the router seems to die though
    >> the wife can still play and vent but we cannot establish any new
    >> connections and to fix it we need to shut down my puter and the router and
    >> reboot
    >>
    >> I have checked with my isp and they have checked and say my connection
    >> looks good.
    >>
    >> this is strange has anyone heard of anything like this?

    > Typical DSL504 DNS proxying issue which drove me nuts the first time it
    > occurred.
    >
    > http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers/files/routers/DSL-xxx_Disabling_Proxy_DNS.pdf

    Ok looked into that and it was for the 504 not the 504T and I could not
    relate what they said with what i had.

    However i seem to have worked a "work around"

    all i did was go in to the network settings on my and my wife's computer
    and give us a fixed ip address rather than let the router assign one and
    that seems to have sorted the problem.
    Robin Halligan, Jan 7, 2011
  7. On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 16:45:13 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > On 8/01/2011 11:47 a.m., Robin Halligan wrote:
    >

    >> all i did was go in to the network settings on my and my wife's computer
    >> and give us a fixed ip address rather than let the router assign one and
    >> that seems to have sorted the problem.

    > What have you set the DNS entries on the computers to when you did that?

    202.37.101.1
    202.37.101.2

    these are for my isp
    Robin Halligan, Jan 8, 2011
  8. On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 23:14:46 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > On 8/01/2011 8:36 p.m., Robin Halligan wrote:

    >>> What have you set the DNS entries on the computers to when you did that?

    >> 202.37.101.1
    >> 202.37.101.2
    >>
    >> these are for my isp

    > In that case I rest my case about the issue being a DNS caching on in
    > the router. You could follow the instructions I linked to earlier which
    > will enable DHCP to serve the ISPs DNS servers when leases are handed
    > out - then you'll still have dynamic addressing *and* working DNS.

    I could follow your instructions except for the fact that the instructions
    are for a 504 and not a 504T the settings are totally different

    And i had already set the dns server to the ISPs one about 3 months ago
    Robin Halligan, Jan 9, 2011